Question about balancing the battery.

Frostybikes

Region
USA
I ordered a radmission and rad says to balance the battery for 12 hours after each ride 3 times.

When I get the bike, can I ride it once in the morning, turn it off, then ride it again later in the day before I charge it? Pretty much ride the bike periodically until it actually needs charged, then charge it for 12 hours? Then do the same for the next 2 charging cycles? So I would just treat it like I normally would except charging it for 12 hours the first three cycles.

Or does it have to be ride once, charge for 12 hours, ride again charge for 12 hours, and then ride once more charge for 12 hours? No spreading it out or anything?

I'm new so i'm not exactly sure how to do this.

Last edited:
It says charge it for 12 hours after the first ride no matter how long or short that ride is and repeat after the second and third ride.

It’s not that critical, just ride when you want to but leave it plugged in overnight 3 times in the first week.

Here's the bottom line. That charger is going to shut itself off, completely, when the battery gets to a certain voltage. You have no control over that, other than to sit back and watch it (the 2 red lights go to one red and one green when done).

RAD's thinking is that this charge cycle may not fully charge ALL of the cells in a NEW battery pack. Some cells, which may be a little low, may not get enough charge during a standard charge cycle. This in mind, they supply the advice they've given.

You can ride it a couple of miles, then charge it, without issue. Won't hurt a thing. You can do that a couple of times that day. When you get done messing with it for the day, then plug it in and leave it for 12 hours, and maybe do the same thing the next day after a short ride. That should do it.

"Best practices" for max battery life will tell you NOT to let a battery sit when fully charged. A few hours sitting prior to use hard to avoid on occasion. What you would want to avoid is letting it set for a couple of weeks fully charged.

Many consider ALL of the above overthinking the subject and just charge/ride as they wish. The battery is still going to last for years....

On my 2019 chargers the voltage stays at 54 even after the leds indicate the battery is charged.

Here's the bottom line. That charger is going to shut itself off, completely, when the battery gets to a certain voltage. You have no control over that, other than to sit back and watch it (the 2 red lights go to one red and one green when done).

RAD's thinking is that this charge cycle may not fully charge ALL of the cells in a NEW battery pack. Some cells, which may be a little low, may not get enough charge during a standard charge cycle. This in mind, they supply the advice they've given.

You can ride it a couple of miles, then charge it, without issue. Won't hurt a thing. You can do that a couple of times that day. When you get done messing with it for the day, then plug it in and leave it for 12 hours, and maybe do the same thing the next day after a short ride. That should do it.

"Best practices" for max battery life will tell you NOT to let a battery sit when fully charged. A few hours sitting prior to use hard to avoid on occasion. What you would want to avoid is letting it set for a couple of weeks fully charged.

Many consider ALL of the above overthinking the subject and just charge/ride as they wish. The battery is still going to last for years....
What are the problems associated with leaving the battery at 100 percent charged for an extended period? I know Rad says to leave it at about 70 percent if letting it sit, which I do. Just curious what happens if you leave it fully charged? Thank you.

It’s stressful to the isolating membranes inside each battery cell. More possibility of a catastrophic meltdown and generally lowers the max voltage over time.

It’s not that critical, just ride when you want to but leave it plugged in overnight 3 times in the first week.
It surely can be critical. I'd NEVER suggest a battery be charged while a customer sleeps. ALWAYS monitor those long charge cycles.

All BMS are not created equal. A BMS capable of balancing is always the preferred version.

No choice of BMS's when you buy a RAD.

No different than any other OEM?
Then I'm afraid I missed your point here:
"All BMS are not created equal. A BMS capable of balancing is always the preferred version."

What is the relevance of the "preferred version" comment if there is no choice available?

Then I'm afraid I missed your point here:
"All BMS are not created equal. A BMS capable of balancing is always the preferred version."

What is the relevance of the "preferred version" comment if there is no choice available?
A majority of OEM batteries from the likes of Rad and others have $5 BMS. No balancing functions or cell level protection.

All due respect Thomas, but that sounds like sour grapes to me.

Speaking with 4 years experience (to date) with one of them, I can say whatever RAD is doing/using seems to be working pretty good so far. That and the fact there are so few complaints (compared to the huge numbers that have been sold) are worth something.

Your experience with them? I get approaching with caution. But to sit there and insinuate that they are junk/inferior, with nothing but a wild guess to back you, isn't a lot of help for those coming up to speed on a new bike. Just another opinion....

All due respect Thomas, but that sounds like sour grapes to me.

Speaking with 4 years experience (to date) with one of them, I can say whatever RAD is doing/using seems to be working pretty good so far. That and the fact there are so few complaints (compared to the huge numbers that have been sold) are worth something.

Your experience with them? I get approaching with caution. But to sit there and insinuate that they are junk/inferior, with nothing but a wild guess to back you, isn't a lot of help for those coming up to speed on a new bike. Just another opinion....
Please don’t read too much into my comments. I don't have a particular dislike for Rad or any other consumer-direct eBike. However, the facts are irrefutable. Most budget batteries have anything but a sophisticated BMS. A balancing BMS wouldn’t need the procedure they outline.

I’m not guessing. I’ve been answering inquiries and responding to daily battery queries. Because there’s little noise here doesn’t make a battery better.

I have batteries on par with the direct-to-consumer OEM’s. Two are from 2014 and have the same low-price BMS. They’ve served me well. I just expect more from batteries built all these years later.

Suggesting overnight while you sleep charging is not something I’d ever do. And only a company insulated from USA courts would be so inclined to suggest long unmonitored charging.

Last edited:
Please don’t read too much into my comments. I don't have a particular dislike for Rad or any other consumer-direct eBike. However, the facts are irrefutable. Most budget batteries have anything but a sophisticated BMS. A balancing BMS wouldn’t need the procedure they outline.

I’m not guessing. I’ve been answering inquiries and responding to daily battery queries. Because there’s little noise here doesn’t make a battery better.

I have batteries on par with the direct-to-consumer OEM’s. Two are from 2014 and have the same low-price BMS. They’ve served me well. I just expect more from batteries built all these years later.

Suggesting overnight while you sleep charging is not something I’d ever do. And only a company insulated from USA courts would be so inclined to suggest long unmonitored charging.
Ever heard of putting a smoke detector next to your charging station? 🤣

Back