Public comments while I ride.

Here in The North Woods, things are pretty straightforward. When I'm on a rail-trail going through a town and have to cross a street, I slow down and check for traffic. If there are vehicles approaching, I stop, wait until the path is clear, then ride across the street; there are no signs, or crosswalk signals.

Well over 50% of the time, as I am waiting for traffic to clear, the approaching vehicle(s) will stop and give me the right of way. As I ride across, there are smiles and waves from all sides....Canada Eh.;)
Here is the alternate CA about 80% of drivers are supper considerate, that is up from 50% about six-years-ago. 20% are jerks. Traffic can be gridlocked 20 yards ahead and they will still blow the crosswalk, that is when I ride up and slap their hood and give them the finger. I point it at their face. What do they really want me to do in a crosswalk, slow walk the bike?
 
Devil's advocate, you weren't following the rules and got called out on it. Why let that one little thing ruin your day? Getting flipped the bird or sworn at is worse, imo.

It's super annoying to have folks yell those things, but they aren't wrong...

What's even MORE annoying is when people yell at you and THEY'RE in the wrong. Here in OR it's legal to treat stop signs like a yield (to a point) but most folks don't know that and freak out when you roll as top sign, cops included. Been pulled over multiple times, once with the lady on the back of my GSD. Never cited as I've memorized the law # and wording, but yeah, getting pulled over by a cop and they're in the wrong? That'll put a damper on even the best mood.
 
The multi-use path that I ride everyday has three posted rules: 1) Stay right, 2) Be polite, 3) Do not obstruct. Half the people don't follow them. It is simple common sense so that everything flows.
 
I love riding and up until a few years ago it was relaxing. But lately I have had drivers and others point out my shortcomings. Yesterday I am about 25 feet from an intersection and a truck stops to let me cross and I say thank you to his open window and he says. "You're suppose to walk your bike across. " If I had gotten to the crosswalk and then gotten off the bike he would have had to wait even longer. Not a sign about that anywhere BTW. The same thing happened a few months ago my husband was at the crosswalk, I hadn't arrived there yet but was close and a car stops and we then cross. The guy yells "you're suppose to push the crossing signal" Last year at a cross walk we were crossing a street on a newly paved bike trail and the woman yells out her window "That trails not open yet." No it wasn't officially but lots of people were there. Technically we were trespassing with everyone else but is that so important to her? Is this the new age of policing the public by the public now. There went my good mood and enjoyable ride. Lots of grumpy people out there.
I think there is is a tiny line between ensure that we all follow the rules for everyone's sake and let others know if they are doing something that can be dangerous and being constantly expecting others to make mistakes just to pointing it out even if it the mistake is nor relevant, which is annoying :/ I hope we all embody the first behaviour and not the second
 
A policeman stopped me once for "running a stop sign" on US31 near Sellersburg. I pointed out that the light was green. Had been installed that year. Some people don't use their eyes.
 
"BIKE PATH!" -- a motorcyclist yelled at me on one of my recent rides. "Sorry, didn't notice!" -- I responded loudly so he could hear me. Well, he was right. No need to elevate the aggression level.
 
Back