PSA: Check your folding locking mechanism on the reg :)

Resipsa

So it should go without saying, but particularly if you're doing substantial trail riding keep an eye on how tight the locking mechanism is where the bike folds.

Was out riding some pretty technical trails this weekend with @Xplore Wallke and suddenly lost power going up a hill. As we looked the bike over he suddenly points to the side of the bike, and I see that the little safety latch has lifted up, the latch itself has opened and the bike has started to separate which caused the loss in power.

Obviously all the jarring and banging around on the trails had caused things to loosen up, and thankfully it happened on a uphill climb and not while going downhill on a technical trail. Never had a folding bike before so it wasn't something forefront in my mind to keep an eye on, but word to the wise.

Yeah, I think checking and tightening the safety latch on Folders should be SOP like checking air in tires and quick releases...

When I got my first E-Bike (Sondors Fold X), I was a iffy on the locking mechanism, do I put a little zip tie over the retainer latch.

But after putting on some miles, I realized the latch was more than adequate.

I'll have to see the X3's latch first hand to see if I feel the same way

Back