problems with shipping

Understand there have been some shipping issues and bikes can get damaged, mostly because of their shear weight. RBP is aware and heard packing apparently has improved, but still can't say how each bike is handled by UPS. Chose to have my bike sent to and assembled by RPB's local Velofix partner. Good decision on my part, as the bike had rear derailleur hanger damage from who knows what? Box had only minor dings and packing seemed sufficient. But my Velofix mechanic was able to fix on the spot without me having to deal with any type of return. They also come back in a month for a free tune up. Assembly and tune up add-on was $100 extra for me. So convenient and so worth it, at least for me. Highly recommend. However, understand bikes are now sent directly to the consumer, you pay Velofix directly and then they come to pick up, unpack and assemble with you there. So not sure which party handles any needed returns now. But at least you still have that extra layer with Velofix.

I ordered two Radrovers back in 2016 and one box came perfect and the other was beat all to hell. They were both delivered on the same UPS truck on the same day. I don't know if they got separated or just bad luck with one box. I ended up having issues with the beat-up Radrover like:
- bent derailleur
- replaced controller
- disk brakes out of true
- pedal crank bent and crank bolt wouldn't stay in place
- nicks/chips on paint where the box was ripped

Rad Power Bikes did take care of me and I got the rover 100% after a few weeks.

I just ordered the Radcity Step-Thru and it should arrive next week. Velofix wasn't available in New Mexico and I hope they improved on the shipping box.

Last edited:
Our 2018 RadMini arrived in a torn, badly mangled box. The UPS driver said he recommended refusing delivery and returning it. I was anxious to get the bike, so I took a chance on accepting the delivery. The bike turned out to be OK - only a bent "guard" over the derailleur and some paint rubbed off the bottom of one of the forks. I lay the blame on the shipping companies. The carton is CLEARLY marked "THIS SIDE UP" and is supposed to always be in a vertical position. My box had clearly spent much of the trip laying flat on its side, where big holes were worn through and the cardboard was ripped open. If the shippers would handle the carton correctly, I think the bikes would do just fine the way they are packed.

Our 2018 RadMini arrived in a torn, badly mangled box. The UPS driver said he recommended refusing delivery and returning it. I was anxious to get the bike, so I took a chance on accepting the delivery. The bike turned out to be OK - only a bent "guard" over the derailleur and some paint rubbed off the bottom of one of the forks. I lay the blame on the shipping companies. The carton is CLEARLY marked "THIS SIDE UP" and is supposed to always be in a vertical position. My box had clearly spent much of the trip laying flat on its side, where big holes were worn through and the cardboard was ripped open. If the shippers would handle the carton correctly, I think the bikes would do just fine the way they are packed.

The carton is CLEARLY marked "THIS SIDE UP" and is supposed to always be in a vertical position.
I can tell you from my college days of working a VERY early shift at RDU loading and unloading UPS planes that the words "Handle with Care" and "This Side Up" may as well be written in Hiragana or Kanji because they have no meaning when supervisors are breathing down your neck to move the boxes faster. You're only defense is to pack and the pad the box with the worst case scenario in mind.

Damage like scratched paint or bent derailleur could've occurred before it reached Seattle RAD facility or even the USA, though UPS trucks with many stops and reloading are the primary suspect.

OTH, faulty controllers and un-true wheels probably came like that from overseas factory and have little to do with shipping. RAD are doing great job of replacing the parts, that's for sure.

I think this points to a bigger problem and that's having the bikes properly packaged to endure a trip from China to the end user. I've purchased three E-Bikes in the past year and two out of the three had damage due to poor packaging. This is something that should be addressed.

Remember, not all of us live in an area serviced by Velofix and sometimes were on our own in getting our bikes repaired. And, not all of us are seasoned bike mechanics which makes makes things a bit more difficult to get fixed. Even when parts are sent at no charge, getting them properly installed can be time consuming. If we take it to a third-party bike repair company, then it can get costly. It seems that the larger e-bike companies need to start stressing better packaging from their suppliers.

Remember, not all of us live in an area serviced by Velofix ...
...It seems that the larger e-bike companies need to start stressing better packaging from their suppliers.

Not all of us are willing to pay extra $200 for Velofix, either.

RAD is different from some other big companies in that they are consumer-direct business. Big companies keeping stores or dealers are (usually) taking care of item when it arrives from Chinese factory to the store. But then, they cost $600-800 more for comparable bike.

Not all of us are willing to pay extra $200 for Velofix, either.

RAD is different from some other big companies in that they are consumer-direct business. Big companies keeping stores or dealers are (usually) taking care of item when it arrives from Chinese factory to the store. But then, they cost $600-800 more for comparable bike.

In this day and age, the direct sales model and buying online has merit. However, the manufacturers need to do their job in making sure the deals they strike with the various Chinese factories include packaging that can safely hold the contents during a worldwide shipment and local delivery. I'll add that if the boxes are making it from China to the various distributors/retailers, then it may be the delivery companies (ie, UPS) who are mishandling the boxes. I say that as I can't imagine an e-bike distributor shipping boxes to the end user that arrived damaged to their domestic warehouse. Or, are some e-bike distributors simply taping over torn boxes that may have concealed damage contents?

Also, having detailed assembly instructions and helpful setup and adjustment videos seems to be something that needs addressing and could make setup less of a pain.

I'm one who would be happy to support my local bike shop if they carried the models that I was interested in purchasing. There's many benefits to buying locally ranging from delivery that include assembly, setup, instruction to a proper fitting. Fitting is an important factor that escapes many online shoppers.

There is no issue with assembling instructions, in this case. RAD bikes arrive in a huge box pretty much assembled. You only need to attach the handlebar, display mount and front wheel with quick release. Also, they made a good video.

They did put some efforts in, before becoming the biggest consumer-direct Ebike business in the US. Affordable price has played its role too. Not super-cheap, all considering. I know similar models by other brands - sold in stores, not just online - and they cost the same. Not too many, but there are a few. Which means that there is a room for improvement for RAD - better quality control of parts and assembling, or, indeed better packaging. Or - slightly lower price for the same bike, so that $199 for Velofix would be easier to justify, though I personally would prefer improved QC and packaging. There is no Velofix nearby, and returns/exchanges will cost me a fortune in lost time and gas money. Consumer-direct model has its flaws, especially when cost-cutting and VERY remote manufacturing come into play.

Last edited:
In this day and age, the direct sales model and buying online has merit. However, the manufacturers need to do their job in making sure the deals they strike with the various Chinese factories include packaging that can safely hold the contents during a worldwide shipment and local delivery. I'll add that if the boxes are making it from China to the various distributors/retailers, then it may be the delivery companies (ie, UPS) who are mishandling the boxes. I say that as I can't imagine an e-bike distributor shipping boxes to the end user that arrived damaged to their domestic warehouse. Or, are some e-bike distributors simply taping over torn boxes that may have concealed damage contents?

Also, having detailed assembly instructions and helpful setup and adjustment videos seems to be something that needs addressing and could make setup less of a pain.

I'm one who would be happy to support my local bike shop if they carried the models that I was interested in purchasing. There's many benefits to buying locally ranging from delivery that include assembly, setup, instruction to a proper fitting. Fitting is an important factor that escapes many online shoppers.
Chinese ship boxed bikes in sea containers where there is low chance of damage. Problems happen when they are unloaded and drop-shipped to end customers. I'm surprised the bikes aren't shipped in expanded-foam containers like those sold by Instapak. A few inserted around BB/derailleur/fork would really secure the bike - maybe $20 additional cost per bike - but would easily be a overall cost savings and improve customer satisfaction.

It would be interesting to get the damaged shipment claim numbers from some of the major online players: Voltbike, Rad Power, JuicedBikes, Biktrix, etc. Then, look at how they package their bikes for shipment to the end consumer and see if there's a direct correlation.

I have not got my RadRover yet it is on the way here to Minnesota and I hope it will be in good shape when it get here but looking at the tracking UPS it has been move in and out of ups trucks 6 times and it is 1/2 here I will see Monday when it get here how well it made the trip I will let you Know how it turn out

I have not got my RadRover yet it is on the way here to Minnesota and I hope it will be in good shape when it get here but looking at the tracking UPS it has been move in and out of ups trucks 6 times and it is 1/2 here I will see Monday when it get here how well it made the trip I will let you Know how it turn out

Are you planning to put together yourself or take to local bike shop?

Putting together myself

I put my Radcity Step-thru together myself. Some of things I did was:
- put the battery on the charger first thing and waited until it was 100% charged before using (balance out the cells)
- double-check EVERY nut/bolt/screw because some were loose
- double-checked every electrical connection
- my front brake cable was routed behind the front forks (disconnected are routed the right way)
- front/back brakes took some time to adjust with the right amount of feel
- PSI was low
- needed to re-torque the spokes on both wheels (some took 3-4 turns to tq)
- needed to adjust the front forks for stiffer rebound, it was too loose and Radcity was a little wobbly at 20 mph
- oiled the chain (use wax based oil because it is really sandy in the southwest to use the oily stuff)
- did some emergency stops to help break in the brake pads

I would double-check nuts/bolts/screws after a few weeks and add blue Loc-tite if any work themselves out after a few hundred miles (especially the pedal crank bolts).

I check my tracking no. today and the bike has made it 7th stop on the way to Minnesota
I put my Radcity Step-thru together myself. Some of things I did was:
- put the battery on the charger first thing and waited until it was 100% charged before using (balance out the cells)
- double-check EVERY nut/bolt/screw because some were loose
- double-checked every electrical connection
- my front brake cable was routed behind the front forks (disconnected are routed the right way)
- front/back brakes took some time to adjust with the right amount of feel
- PSI was low
- needed to re-torque the spokes on both wheels (some took 3-4 turns to tq)
- needed to adjust the front forks for stiffer rebound, it was too loose and Radcity was a little wobbly at 20 mph
- oiled the chain (use wax based oil because it is really sandy in the southwest to use the oily stuff)
- did some emergency stops to help break in the brake pads

I would double-check nuts/bolts/screws after a few weeks and add blue Loc-tite if any work themselves out after a few hundred miles (especially the pedal crank bolts).
Understand there have been some shipping issues and bikes can get damaged, mostly because of their shear weight. RBP is aware and heard packing apparently has improved, but still can't say how each bike is handled by UPS. Chose to have my bike sent to and assembled by RPB's local Velofix partner. Good decision on my part, as the bike had rear derailleur hanger damage from who knows what? Box had only minor dings and packing seemed sufficient. But my Velofix mechanic was able to fix on the spot without me having to deal with any type of return. They also come back in a month for a free tune up. Assembly and tune up add-on was $100 extra for me. So convenient and so worth it, at least for me. Highly recommend. However, understand bikes are now sent directly to the consumer, you pay Velofix directly and then they come to pick up, unpack and assemble with you there. So not sure which party handles any needed returns now. But at least you still have that extra layer with Velofix.

Back