Prius EBike Rack

I used a Curt hitch (1 1/4”) with a Swagman XC2 for 2 analog bikes with my Prius. I would suggest against doing so with ebikes that weigh double. I always felt like I was pushing it with the Prius since Toyota recommends not installing any hitch on a Prius. It really kills the gas mileage too! But hey, it’s your car and your two expensive ebikes.
I'm now using a Hollywood SE2 rack rated for two 60 lb Ebikes that requires a 2” hitch with a Rav4.

I used a Curt hitch (1 1/4”) with a Swagman XC2 for 2 analog bikes with my Prius. I would suggest against doing so with ebikes that weigh double. I always felt like I was pushing it with the Prius since Toyota recommends not installing any hitch on a Prius. It really kills the gas mileage too! But hey, it’s your car and your two expensive ebikes.
I'm now using a Hollywood SE2 rack rated for two 60 lb Ebikes that requires a 2” hitch with a Rav4.
Thanks! My friends love their Hollywood rack.I dont really consider this "towing" as im not pulling the weight Im actually caring it.I did read that about the prius tho.And thanks for the gas milage heads up.Bummer.A different car is out of the question so i will see what i come up with.

Thanks! My friends love their Hollywood rack.I dont really consider this "towing" as im not pulling the weight Im actually caring it.I did read that about the prius tho.And thanks for the gas milage heads up.Bummer.A different car is out of the question so i will see what i come up with.
Im not sure of Toyota’s specific concerns be they towing or pulling. My biggest concern is the rear frame connections not being intended for the weight of the hitch, rack, and ebikes with interstate speed wind resistance and potentially bouncy road surfaces. I’m no engineer but a class 3, 2” hitch meant to carry that kind of rack and bike weight is, IMO, essential.

Im not sure of Toyota’s specific concerns be they towing or pulling. My biggest concern is the rear frame connections not being intended for the weight of the hitch, rack, and ebikes with interstate speed wind resistance and potentially bouncy road surfaces. I’m no engineer but a class 3, 2” hitch meant to carry that kind of rack and bike weight is, IMO, essential.
I agree

I have a 2" receiver on my truck but was only able to get a 1.25" receiver for my wife's Kona. Tomorrow I should be taking delivery of our Motow rack that will work with both. The aftermarket Curtis for her car has a 200lb limit and also recommends an extra strap to help stabilize the load. Between two ebikes (100-110lb without the batteries) and the 28lb rack, should be ok. For the truck I also got the lift, will probably try it on her car too, but that adds another 23lbs!

I think Kyle over at Bolton Bikes has a carrier video and he may even have a Prius and hitch rack, look it up and check it out, he's usually pretty good with his advice.

I have a 2" receiver on my truck but was only able to get a 1.25" receiver for my wife's Kona. Tomorrow I should be taking delivery of our Motow rack that will work with both. The aftermarket Curtis for her car has a 200lb limit and also recommends an extra strap to help stabilize the load. Between two ebikes (100-110lb without the batteries) and the 28lb rack, should be ok. For the truck I also got the lift, will probably try it on her car too, but that adds another 23lbs!

I think Kyle over at Bolton Bikes has a carrier video and he may even have a Prius and hitch rack, look it up and check it out, he's usually pretty good with his advice.
will do! I love his ideas.Thanks

Back