Prior Gen (Hub Drive) Turbo Display Issues

ROJA

The joystick in my display seems to have gone out. I can go "down" modes (from Turbo to Eco to Zero to Regen) but not back up. It rides fine just staying in Eco, but I'm wondering if others have seen this issue.

A new display is $100 and my LBS initially thought they were discontinued but some are now available. If they weren't so expensive I'd buy 2 just to have a backup!

Otherwise my bike is performing great and I'm enjoying (mild) winter commuting! I'm probably close to 4000 miles at this point (but only about 3000 on my "new" battery).

I had the same issue and opted to pay the $100. New unit works fine. I don’t know what the option will be if the new unit craps out. I have 6,500 miles on the bike, but see no reason to scrap my 2014 turbo and spend several thousand on a new bike. It seems like there ought to be a way to upgrade the controller to whatever Specialized is using on their new bikes. As ebikes become more common, there will surely be a company that will come up with a way to upgrade both the motor and controller on all the turbos that were built and sold up until about 2017.

The display on my 2014 Turbo S has also failed. My dealer told me he didn't think any more were available but would try to find a replacement. No word so far. Where can you find these displays if the dealer is unable to locate one? Does anyone know of a new display which can somehow replace the old display and paddle wheel?

Specialized_Turbo_S_display_and_paddle.jpg

Last edited:
The first gen Turbo's used a Go Swiss Drive system. You may find a controller compatible through a search of them instead of Specialized. It is a bit weak that Specialized didn't think to put some controllers that showed that they had issues into back stock however.

That display (interchangeable from 2014/15 on on Turbo/X/S is a known weak point. The joy stick fails or the backlight fails...Pay the $100 and get one.

The first gen Turbo's used a Go Swiss Drive system. You may find a controller compatible through a search of them instead of Specialized. It is a bit weak that Specialized didn't think to put some controllers that showed that they had issues into back stock however.
I contacted Go Swiss Drive and they said the display was not their part and to contact Specialized. I just learned Go Swiss Drive is in liquidation as of January, which is really bad news for those of us with bikes using their parts.

Last edited:
Indeed, the display and battery are totally Specialized. Only the motor was GoSwissDrive. Even then, I don't know if the firmware in the motor is totally GoSwissDrive or was modified for Specialized.

Last edited:
Know anyone at Google? They have 500 of them on campus and might have a spare.

I'll send you a PM with the name of my LBS that was able to order one. They told me one day there were zero in stock from Specialized (basically unavailable) and then a week or two later there were a bunch.

The question is whether it's worth the $100 to buy a backup. I use(d) mine frequently to go to regen mode when approaching a light, jumping up to turbo for a hill, etc., but I think with the new one I'll minimize my use of the joystick (presuming that it can only go up and down so many times).

Yes. Specialized has two part numbers for what look like identical displays.

SBC-R03#53100053
SBC-R03#75201187

I ordered one of each. Bike is working fine. Thanks for everyone's help.

My first one died (just stopped working completely) and now the replacement is acting up - looks like a dodgy connection. Can get it working by wiggling wires. If I then set the assistance mode and unplug the controller I can ride the bike - if I leave it plugged in it keeps turning the assistance off. Will have to see if I can get a replacement in the UK.

The joystick in my display seems to have gone out. I can go "down" modes (from Turbo to Eco to Zero to Regen) but not back up. It rides fine just staying in Eco, but I'm wondering if others have seen this issue.

A new display is $100 and my LBS initially thought they were discontinued but some are now available. If they weren't so expensive I'd buy 2 just to have a backup!

Otherwise my bike is performing great and I'm enjoying (mild) winter commuting! I'm probably close to 4000 miles at this point (but only about 3000 on my "new" battery).
Hi, I have exactly the same issue, and am trying to source a new or used unit, but can not find one here in UK. Does anyone know where I can source one, or dies anyone have one they would sell to me ? Thanks I. Advance, Tim

Back