pretty cool specialized training video for bike shop mechanics to trade out displays

Mr. Max

I'm exploring buying a Vado once the snow finally melts around here and am learning about the old vs new display issues. I found a series of Specialized training videos made for Specialized bike shop mechanics on Vimeo. This video tears apart a big chuck of the bike and replaces the BLOKS display with the TCD-W display. It shows reassembling the bike and how they update the firmware and test out the entire system. I thought it was pretty cool and would share it, in case anyone is interested & hadn't seen it.

There's actually a bunch of Specialized Bike Shop Mechanics training videos on this Vimeo channel.

Cheers!

I'm getting a poor service from the Specialized LBS in Warsaw Poland. In October 2019, Specialized in Netherlands (who are the European distributor) explained they could not replace the BLOKS with the TCD-W as Vado 5 was a Class 3 e-bike and the TCD-W displays were at the stage of preparing the Certificate of Conformity. In January 2020, the Dutch distributor wrote the TCD-W displays for S-Pedelecs for Europe should be available soon and an pre-order was placed. Now, we are in the end of February and nothing happens.

If not the electronic gremlins in the BLOKS, I could live with it. The display gives me a lot of useful information. What I'm missing is the power meter, the number of recharge cycles, the health status of the bike/battery and of course possibility to tune the motor.

I was surprised that Specialized had these LBS service training videos open to all, but then I figured that they had nothing to hide and I respect that.

It's a lot of work to replace the display. I wonder why Specialized didn't think of using the same TCU (Turbo Control Unit) they have used in Turbo Levos, Kenevos and now in Creos for the Vados and Comos. That TCU uses the wireless TCD display and you can even ride without the display.

I can still remember that dreaded day before the software update when the assistance ceased to exist when I was riding up an overpass due to hanged BLOKS display. I didn't know what to do (I found the answer on this Forum later) so I had to pedal unassisted for 15 km upwind to reach home. The credit I can give to Vado is you can pedal it unassisted, which is hardly possible with Shimano and older Bosch motors (doable on some Yamahas but not all of them).

I'm getting a poor service from the Specialized LBS in Warsaw Poland. In October 2019, Specialized in Netherlands (who are the European distributor) explained they could not replace the BLOKS with the TCD-W as Vado 5 was a Class 3 e-bike and the TCD-W displays were at the stage of preparing the Certificate of Conformity. In January 2020, the Dutch distributor wrote the TCD-W displays for S-Pedelecs for Europe should be available soon and an pre-order was placed. Now, we are in the end of February and nothing happens.
I am a bit puzzled by what is happening to you, because I have a 2019 Vado 4 and it has a TCD-W display, so it clearly conforms. Maybe it is the retrofit kits that are not ready?

I'm exploring buying a Vado once the snow finally melts around here and am learning about the old vs new display issues. I found a series of Specialized training videos made for Specialized bike shop mechanics on Vimeo. This video tears apart a big chuck of the bike and replaces the BLOKS display with the TCD-W display. It shows reassembling the bike and how they update the firmware and test out the entire system. I thought it was pretty cool and would share it, in case anyone is interested & hadn't seen it.

There's actually a bunch of Specialized Bike Shop Mechanics training videos on this Vimeo channel.

Cheers!
Could you please help me with how to copy this video and send to Specialized. They don’t know about this either.

I did. When I click on the link it brings up the EBR site which contains this video. I was concerned that they might not have the app

Mr Max, thank you so much for sharing this video.
Omg, I did not realize changing to the new TCD-W system was such “major surgery”!

My Vado still has the original Bloks system which has been working just fine and soon to start the 3rd season of use. Without a doubt it would be nice to have the extra features of a working Mission Control App, such as changing the % of assist. That said, I’m not so sure I want to expose my bike to that level disassembly. Lots could go wrong when putting it back together.

So for now I think I’ll simply cycle and smile 😎🚴🏼‍♀️😃.

Cheers!

I have been communicating to Specialized and my LBS. Neither one are aware of battery having the need to be separately updated. I have forwarded this Video to both.
the only suspicion we have is the video might be old and the new update process takes care of the whole thing.
Mathis doesn’t explain why my battery version is 7.20.0 and others is 7.3.0. Mine was just updated, it is a new display, and my Vado is a 2020????

Omg, I did not realize changing to the new TCD-W system was such “major surgery”!
Me either. I like the fact I can remove the BLOKS and hide it in the pocket for extra security. "What works - works". Taken into account how long the Warsaw Specialized LBS was avoiding the replacement to the TCD-W and the fact they don't seem to be competent enough with e-bikes I decided to stay on the BLOKS (especially with the Android Turbo Vado/Como Tune app). I'm still waiting to get the complete spare battery for which I have paid US$925 (to be perhaps delivered on the coming Monday).

Additional thought: Specialized had the Turbo Levo already in 2015, with the wireless Turbo Control Unit embedded somewhere in the battery. They had the wireless TCD for Turbo Levo soon after. Who had made the weird decision to go for the wired BLOKS instead of using the TCU and the TCD consistently for all Turbo e-bikes?!

Aside from TCD being new technology and ability to communicate with Mission Control, I also liked the block for the same reason that you could just take it off an put in you pocket for quick stops and added security.
My old ebike had it and I miss it. Without the control unit one could not start the old ebike. Vado is easy to turn on. I have asked Specialized to consider locking the motor via a password control on TCD so only the owner can start the motor with the password. I am sure they are discussing my idea in a big and important meeting and having a good laugh about it.....hope keeps us alive.

How about copying this link?
https://player.vimeo.com/video/309870436
It is an video on Vimeo.
I am on my ipad now and see that you had included the link. Earlier I was using my iphone and couldnt see the link (weird), that is why I was confused and explaining the concern about the link of EBR. Sorry for my confusion.
haha I see that you responded twice with and without link. Explains ipad iphone issue.

No, no. I didn't understand the reason of your problem before. Having understood that, I extracted and posted the real link for your convenience.

RIGHT. There were two answers of mine 🤣

@Mr. Max I keep popping back to this thread to look at this training video - would you mind posting a link to where I could see this and other videos?

Back