Powerful Fat Tire E-bike w/ Torque sensor from Juiced Bikes

What are everyone's thoughts on the
Prowheel 56T Crankset Upgrade $ 59.99 ?
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

If my preference is riding in the mountains and not going full speed as often, would the crank upgrade still be a good thing? (same performance slower?)

I can see how this would help people commuting to work at full speed, but it's unclear if their would be any negatives for slower/hill riders.

I doubt it. I actually ride in eco to get some actual exercise while I'm out riding and I switched to a 44T up front so that I could still hit the small bridge hills around me while keeping eco mode going. There's a really good speed/cadence/chainring tooth calculator online so you can look at different setups for your personal conditions before you buy.

http://www.bikecalc.com/speed_at_cadence

What are everyone's thoughts on the
Prowheel 56T Crankset Upgrade $ 59.99 ?
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

If my preference is riding in the mountains and not going full speed as often, would the crank upgrade still be a good thing? (same performance slower?)

I can see how this would help people commuting to work at full speed, but it's unclear if their would be any negatives for slower/hill riders.

Use the 56T if you plan to do more high speed riding. It is not useful for uphill. For your uphill riding, you can use a smaller chainring, but those are very easy to find. We provide the bigger one as they are difficult to source.

A larger crank means all your gears are slightly higher torque, so a bit more work on the low-end acceleration (at least on a standard bike) but higher top end speed.. unless I have that backward.

I don't plan on upgrading to the 56T though it's tempting. I'm afraid that it'll make the trail riding a little less me pedaling and more throttle ;). What I'd love to see though is a Hyper with a 250 watt high torque front drive wheel as well. The idea of two wheel drive on the trails makes a lot of sense.

Use the 56T if you plan to do more high speed riding. It is not useful for uphill. For your uphill riding, you can use a smaller chainring, but those are very easy to find. We provide the bigger one as they are difficult to source.
Is it possible that the user could add a front derailleur for a smaller tooth ring and the 56T ring? Also any update on arrival dates. Can't tell you how excited I am to get on my HyperFat!

I don't plan on upgrading to the 56T though it's tempting. I'm afraid that it'll make the trail riding a little less me pedaling and more throttle ;). What I'd love to see though is a Hyper with a 250 watt high torque front drive wheel as well. The idea of two wheel drive on the trails makes a lot of sense.

It seems to have similar power to a Biktrix Juggernaut Ultra, which I own and it sure doesn't need any more power on the steep hills I've ridden. And I never use the throttle. I think you'll be fine.

I noticed that the Pre-order for November was removed. Are you catching up on production and shipping soon?

It baffles me why a company does not update it's customers where their 3k bike is? Surely it would take alot less time to send a bulk email then create propaganda videos. Especially since a November delivery would have to mean these bikes are ready to ship.

Before they restarted production, Tora stated somewhere that the production backlog was two weeks for all of the Founders Series and pre-orders. They seemed to have all of the frames ready when they started assembly two weeks ago, so my guess is that they are preparing to ship via container soon. Three more weeks on the water and another week of off-load and process in San Diego.

My guess is that it's happening, but first week of December might be possible as well.

I've had one on order forever and just ended up getting an Evelo Delta instead. I seriously doubt the Hyper Fat is going to be anywhere near as good, but fingers crossed I even get my damn bike this year :rolleyes:

I've had one on order forever and just ended up getting an Evelo Delta instead. I seriously doubt the Hyper Fat is going to be anywhere near as good, but fingers crossed I even get my damn bike this year :rolleyes:
That looks like a nice bike. I'm very excited about the HyperFat. I really like the 4" tires (wouldn't mind even bigger) and the 1000W motor. I also really like the fact that the motor doesn't have a limit when I'm off-road. I also like the the HF looks very easy to service and maintain. I've heard that mid-drives can be hard on a chain and can break them occasionally. I don't know how true that is but that would worry me. I also loved the price that I got the HF for. I have a hard time justifying spending over $3,000.

That looks like a nice bike. I'm very excited about the HyperFat. I really like the 4" tires (wouldn't mind even bigger) and the 1000W motor. I also really like the fact that the motor doesn't have a limit when I'm off-road. I also like the the HF looks very easy to service and maintain. I've heard that mid-drives can be hard on a chain and can break them occasionally. I don't know how true that is but that would worry me. I also loved the price that I got the HF for. I have a hard time justifying spending over $3,000.

After riding on plus sized MTB tires (3.0" Schwalbe Nobby Nics) I just can't say I feel the need for 4" tires. Maybe wider for sand, but you can run the Evelo Delta tubeless (and I plan to at <10psi) for riding on the beach. The rims also allow you to run normal sized commuter tires, which I love for use in Portland. Keeps the weight down compared to the fat tire slicks too.

The Evelo Delta has a CVT in the rear hub that doesn't mangle the chain like non shift sensing bikes can if you don't cut power with your brakes or back pedal during shifting. The Nuvinci CVT is amazing. If you have the option I really recommend trying one because it definitely changed my mind on my price range!

Agreed on the price, but who knows if we'll ever get the damn bike, I mean its been months and months past their promised deliveries. My guess is we get them next March at the earliest. That frustrates me way more than the $1000 or so difference I spent on the Evelo Delta (I bought mine open box) over the Hyper Fat.

Don't get me wrong, still excited, but that excitement has definitely gone down after buying a bike that is likely a better bike and actually having it vs. waiting several more months.

Those are very good points! I hadn't even thought about the CVT being so much smoother and gentler on a chain. I also appreciate the idea that you could use normal commuters. Most of my riding will be on pavement, with snow in the winter. I'm hoping the fatter tires will help mitigate some of the issues experienced on my 2.3" tires on my previous mountain bike. I've also found some fat tire slicks and wondered if those would be good for the other seasons, partly for better wear and partly for noise reduction. Anybody have experience with slick versus treaded fat tires?

Back