Possible Lectric Regret

MarkLS

Region
USA
I have been dealing with Lectric customer service for nearly a month. First an extended battery that would not fully charge (came with the xp 3.0 step thru I received on Jan. 26). Received a second battery that does not match the controller plate pins, and finally the promise of a new controller plate to match the second battery (supposed to be sent out by today, but was not). I am nearly ready to move on to Plan B; return the Lectric bike and find an alternative.

I have two back fusions, two neck fusions and a couple new knees. A step thru bike is my best option. A 500 watt motor is large enough for my expected riding experience. An extended battery is still on my wish list. Disc brakes will also suffice. While price is a concern, I realize I may not find a bike for less than $1,400.00 if I want to stay away from the warehouse companies. The nearest bike shop is an hour away for me. Any bike suggestions based on your personal experience? I realize this is very subjective, but I would like some suggestions.

I too needed the new panel when I ordered a 2nd extended range for my Step-Thru long range . It did resolve the issue . It was not difficult to replace. I have had e-bikes since 2012, Lectric has been the best service I have had.

This is not saying you have had great service but they have a good reputation and I see it compared to others in my experience. I like the 3.0 over the the Xpremium even though it is the “lesser” bike . I have both.

If you were to replace this what the features you want to retain and what feature would you be willing to give up?

Class 3 ,folding, front suspension, front or rear hub,

I’d say double your budget and drive that hour to a bike shop and get something they service. My opinion is get something name brand, Trek, Giant, Specialized etc.

I have no doubt that Lectic will get your issue resolved, and you will end up with a better performing bike for less money when compared to Treks entry level Electra . Electra only a 250watt hub motor, Lectric 500watt, Electra 250 watt hour battery, Lectric 500 watt hour, Electra max speed 20mph, Lectric top speed 28mph, Electra $1700, Lectric 2.0 $899 Lectric 3.0 $999.

Having said all that, I assume that with your own worn out parts (neck, back, knees) you are of an age that can remember how to change your own bicycle tire and maybe the brake pads (Disc brakes are a little different from rim brakes so maybe watch some YouTube videos when the time comes).

If you need repair help, I have had no problem with my local bike shop (Trek Shop) doing work on my Lectric XP. They will do all the bicycle side needing service but understandably they do not work on the electrical. (They will replace a customer provided wheel if Lectric sends a replacement) So the only items the LBS can't help with is a battery (Lectric will send replacement), wiring (Lectric will troubleshoot and send wiring harnesses), and the controller/display (Lectric will troubleshoot and send replacement).

In 5654 miles use I've had to replace worn tires and brake pads and tighten brake and shifter cables as they stretched a bit over time. Lectric customer service sent a link with video on how to replace the brake pads, cable adjustment etc. they also sent a replacement discharge plate when I accidently closed the bike on my bike lock dangling from around my neck :( they sent the part out free of charge even though it was my fault and it was out of warranty. So pretty solid customer support, they just take a little time to get back to you mostly due to the labor shortage, they just don't get enough applicants to fill the customer service spots they have open so a little patience is helpful.

Thanks to each of you for responding to me. I appreciate your time. I am calling customer service again this morning to follow up on last week's call. I did not receive a tracking number for the controller plate last week, as promised. Hopefully, this week will be more fruitful. While my conversations with Lectric have been cordial, the bottom line is I have 65 pounds of metal and rubber I cannot use and Lectric has been using my $1,200.00 for nearly a month.

I too needed the new panel when I ordered a 2nd extended range for my Step-Thru long range . It did resolve the issue . It was not difficult to replace. I have had e-bikes since 2012, Lectric has been the best service I have had.

This is not saying you have had great service but they have a good reputation and I see it compared to others in my experience. I like the 3.0 over the the Xpremium even though it is the “lesser” bike . I have both.

If you were to replace this what the features you want to retain and what feature would you be willing to give up?

Class 3 ,folding, front suspension, front or rear hub,
I am curious. Do you need to switch out the control panel when using the first extended battery and switch again when using the second extended battery?

We've had two of the XP 2.0st bikes for a bit over a year now, and love them. Customer Service has been great for us. Suggest you give them a bit of time to work out this pin-incompatibility issue; you will love the bike. Besides, it's still winter; all will be sorted out soon I assume.

One other thing: the "500w motor" designation is pretty meaningless. It's just the "continuous" rating. You instead look at battery voltage and maximum controller current. In our case, 48v x 18a ~ 850 watts, or a bit over 1hp. The 500w designation of our motor just means that it can dissipate the heat of a continuous 500w load, which in our case means a current of about 10a. And 10 amps is good for about 20mph on the flat, exclusive of extra input from the rider's legs. At this rate a 500 Wh battery will be depleted in a bit less than an hour.

We frequently climb a steep hill to go to the local market, drawing 18a for maybe 5 minutes. No trouble at all for the "500w" motor.

The Europeans have settled on a 15mph speed limit for ebikes, so a 250w (continuous) motor is just fine. Personally, any cruising above 20mph is more motor scooter territory and far more risky while sitting exposed on a bicycle.

Last edited:
Thanks to each of you for responding to me. I appreciate your time. I am calling customer service again this morning to follow up on last week's call. I did not receive a tracking number for the controller plate last week, as promised. Hopefully, this week will be more fruitful. While my conversations with Lectric have been cordial, the bottom line is I have 65 pounds of metal and rubber I cannot use and Lectric has been using my $1,200.00 for nearly a month.
Another great reason to have multiple Ebikes! ;)
n+1

Brief update if interested. Lectric customer service issued a USPS tracking number on Feb 20 at 1:30 PM. My past history with the USPS tracking number system is not particularly reliable. Case in point, I have checked the current tracking number on 3 occasions only to see (according to the tracking number) the controller plate has not yet been picked up by USPS. The adventure continues.🙃

Once the plate was exchanged both batteries fit the the new one. The plastic background of the new plate let both of the battery plates fit. It will make sense once you see it.

I’d say double your budget and drive that hour to a bike shop and get something they service. My opinion is get something name brand, Trek, Giant, Specialized etc.
Agreed! My wife wanted an ebike, but I knew she’d not ride often, so I didn’t want to spend a lot of money. I bought her a Rad bike, and within 30 miles the controller failed (fortunately, at the beginning of a ride, near my truck). Rad’s customer service was great, and I was ultimately able to diagnose it, but only because my grandson had a similar bike and I was able to swap parts until I found the culprit. I’d much rather have just tossed it in the truck and hauled it to a shop. If I were to buy her a bike today, it’d be a brand sold and supported by an LBS.

Time for me to give up. I finally pulled the plug on Lectric Bike customer service. It has been 11 days since a shipping label was generated for a controller plate, but no plate has been picked up by the USPS because the package has not been available for pickup. Nice people to talk to in the CS dept. but without timely action and transparency, my $1,200.00 bike has sat in the garage since January 26. I am making the 75 minute drive to the nearest bike shop and make my purchases there. Lesson learned.

I understand your frustration, supply issues can be a real pain. All I can say is that we've been very happy with our Lectric Customer Service interactions, and we love our two XP 2.0st ebikes. Great machines for a great price.

Going to the LBS is the traditional way of buying a bike, and they have the benefit of having something in stock, sitting on the floor. You'll pay quite a bit more because the LBS gets a substantial cut to pay for the storefront, but that's the tradeoff. Your choice.

Remember do not give the USPS much credit our local service has been lousy,I keep getting the "sorry we missed you" note in the mailbox when they have made no effort to deliver. One reason UPS or Fedex is my default. They made me come to the PO one time for printer ink and their 'insurance" is meaningless( cost me around $100 total one time) I have little good to say about the United Postal Service, it seems they refuse to deliver these days when there is a hint of bad weather, very frustrating, sometimes they will not even deliver or pickup mail on a Saturday.I could live without the 'United Postal Service".

Last edited:
Remember do not give the USPS much credit our local service has been lousy,I keep getting the "sorry we missed you" note in the mailbox when they have made no effort to deliver. One reason UPS or Fedex is my default. They made me come to the PO one time for printer ink and their 'insurance" is meaningless( cost me around $100 total one time) I have little good to say about the United Postal Service, it seems they refuse to deliver these days when there is a hint of bad weather, very frustrating, sometimes they will not even deliver or pickup mail on a Saturday.I could live without the 'United Postal Service".

Even many third world countries have good mail service, just sayin'

Back