Plus Size Tires For Aurora Limited Edition

Rickman1

Region
USA
City
Aridzona
I contacted Evelo to order a pair of the Innova 26" x 2.8" tires (the brand and size that came on my Aurora LE). The replied that they were out of stock and would be for quite some time. Discouraging news has this size tire is extremely hard to come by. They also said that the Maxxis Hookworm (size 26 X 2.5) would be a suitable replacement. I would like to hear from other Evelo owners if they found suitable replacements for this tire size on their bikes. I did see the Surly ExtraTerrestial tire in size 26 X 2.5 that has Kevlar as part of it's construction to make more puncture resistant and I like the tread pattern better than the Hookworm. Just curious to see what tires in this size that others have found and like. I don't understand why some companies use these "plus" size tires as there are few to choose from and extremely difficult to find. Even the companies that sell the bikes don't have replacements available. Does anyone happen to know what the inside width of the rim is?

Innova Tire
Innova Tire.jpg

Maxxis Hookworm
Maxxis Hookworm.jpg

Surly ExtraTerrestrial
Surly ExtraTerrestrial.jpg

Last edited:
I have always been a bit concerned with how small the air space is between the standard 2.8 wide tire and the Gates Belt. Going to a 2.6 or 2.5 wide was on my wish-list for replacement tires when the time came. So I don't see this change being a major concern . . . . .
No riding data of course, just bugged by the 2.8-wide spacing.

When my original production build arrived it had out-of-round tires. Evelo noted that Innova was having production mold problems.
Evelo replaced the Innova 2.8 with Vee Tire Speedster 2.8 tires . . . nice premium brand/quality . . . they installed the Vee Tire as they were the only available stock in Seattle at the time.

Side Note:
My LE was stolen last summer . . . I so miss that bike. Do have a DASH on order.
Have not decided if/when a replacement for the LE will be purchased.

I have always been a bit concerned with how small the air space is between the standard 2.8 wide tire and the Gates Belt. Going to a 2.6 or 2.5 wide was on my wish-list for replacement tires when the time came. So I don't see this change being a major concern . . . . .
No riding data of course, just bugged by the 2.8-wide spacing.

When my original production build arrived it had out-of-round tires. Evelo noted that Innova was having production mold problems.
Evelo replaced the Innova 2.8 with Vee Tire Speedster 2.8 tires . . . nice premium brand/quality . . . they installed the Vee Tire as they were the only available stock in Seattle at the time.

Side Note:
My LE was stolen last summer . . . I so miss that bike. Do have a DASH on order.
Have not decided if/when a replacement for the LE will be purchased.
Sorry to hear about the theft of your LE. I have two Soul Sonic Saber Pro Cruiser eBikes that have the 26x2.8 inch Vee Tire Co. Speedster tires. I was able to buy a spare set of the Speedster tires from Soul Fast E-Bikes. I also found one Innova 26x2.8 tire on eBay and snagged it. Would like to find another one. I will probably get the Surly ExtraTerrestrials as I like the tread pattern and the inclusion of the Kevlar for added puncture protection. I found Innova 26x3.0 tires on the Evelo site and they listed for the rear Aurora Hub Drive model. Evelo told me that they might work on the LE but depending on the tire pressure it could interfere with the belt. Evidently the LE needs the 2.8" or smaller 2.5" width tires. Evelo also said to not go below 2.4" wide for tires with the rims on the LE (45mm wide rims).

Last edited:
I'm seriously considering buying an Omega. A major deterrent to making that purchase is the tire size they chose to use. I am not finding many, if any suitable tires from 2.4 to 2.8. At some point it would need tires.

By the time I post this, the supply chain for tires probably has loosened up quite a bit so more tires should be available. In any case, I switched out my Innova 2.8 inch tires that came with my ALE with Schwalbe Super Moto-X 26" x 2.4" tires. These have much better puncture resistance than the Innova and so far have been great. They do have higher rolling resistance than the Innova's, however, so you will get about 7% less mileage in my experience. I also get about 30 miles before my battery runs out so for longer rides I strap an extra battery to my rack and switch them out when needed. This is definitely not as convenient as having an option for a second battery on the Omega.

Last edited:
Back