Photochromic sunglasses - yes or no?

Bobsiii

My bilateral cataract surgery is sked for Mar 9 and I'm going with distant vision lenses so, for the first time in my life, I have choices in sunglasses other than cheap clip-ons or expensive prescription ones. I know I want polarized, thinking about photochromic as well but I have questions about how well/quickly they react to intensity changes?

A lot of my rides involve going thru underpasses, changing from bright to dark with a bright glare on the other end. These are often home to homeless folks; they mostly stay out of the way but there are some who wander around. In addition there's sometimes debris on the path and ice in winter. I'm forced to slow way down, even with headlight on, for safety - and even then my eyes are slow to adapt behind my current dark gray sunglasses.

Anyone have experience with photochromic lenses? Will they switch fast enough to give me safe vision? Or am I seeking a unicorn, and should just learn to live with it?

I have photochromatic lenses. And they are a mediocre replacement for decent sunglasses.
I buy cheap Rx glass from https://www.eyebuydirect.com

Google for a coupon and I can always find a 25-30% discount.

My bilateral cataract surgery is sked for Mar 9 and I'm going with distant vision lenses so, for the first time in my life, I have choices in sunglasses other than cheap clip-ons or expensive prescription ones. I know I want polarized, thinking about photochromic as well but I have questions about how well/quickly they react to intensity changes?

A lot of my rides involve going thru underpasses, changing from bright to dark with a bright glare on the other end. These are often home to homeless folks; they mostly stay out of the way but there are some who wander around. In addition there's sometimes debris on the path and ice in winter. I'm forced to slow way down, even with headlight on, for safety - and even then my eyes are slow to adapt behind my current dark gray sunglasses.

Anyone have experience with photochromic lenses? Will they switch fast enough to give me safe vision? Or am I seeking a unicorn, and should just learn to live with it?
I have photochromatic lenses. I had to start wearing prescription glasses later in life and have been wearing them for about 7 or 8 years, so I've gone through a few pair. It may be my imagination, but I think they change faster when new. I always get the latest and greatest, and it seems the same result.

The biggest issue with the photochromatic lenses is they don't work inside of a vehicle due to the automobile UV filtering glass. So I still buy Rx sunglasses. And I agree with Thomas, the photochromatic lenses are a poor substitute for dedicated sunglasses. They never get as dark. The vast majority of the time I ride I choose the sunglasses. When I ride through a tunnel or overpass, which is often, I look over the top of the glasses if necessary.

Don't get Polarized for cycling .
I like my Oakley Photochromic but they or any PC lens do not switch fast .
Try Oakley Prizm Road lens .

From SportRX.com:

"Simply put, polarized lenses cut out glare. This feature makes for a good lens when you are in bright conditions where the reflected glare can strain your eyes. Polarized lenses are recommended for water activities and driving, but are not ideal for road cycling because there are situations in which seeing glare can actually be a benefit. For example, picking up on an oil slick or pot hole would be harder with a polarized lens. A polarized lens can throw off your depth perception.
... Just note that lenses for cycling (such as PRIZM Road) typically aren’t polarized."

I have photochromic lenses from Rudy Project. I use it for mountain biking and have enjoyed the comfort and relatively quick transition from light to dark and vs. versa.

From SportRX.com:

"Simply put, polarized lenses cut out glare. This feature makes for a good lens when you are in bright conditions where the reflected glare can strain your eyes. Polarized lenses are recommended for water activities and driving, but are not ideal for road cycling because there are situations in which seeing glare can actually be a benefit. For example, picking up on an oil slick or pot hole would be harder with a polarized lens. A polarized lens can throw off your depth perception.
... Just note that lenses for cycling (such as PRIZM Road) typically aren’t polarized."
not so with Vuarnet lenses, they are polarized but accentuate features. Opticus has great polarized RX lenses the essentially made Vuarnet like lenses.

I've had transition eye glasses for a number of years and as others have posted about driving a car, going from light to dark areas, i always reach for my non prescribed sun glasses. Although the transition lens do in a pinch they are a far cry from a decent pair of sun glasses. I would suggest trying out polarized and non to see what lens works best for seeing your display (if applicable) in bright light and decide from there.

I like the transitions and have been riding with them for many years. My favorite time of day to ride is around sunset. While riding in northern lower Mi. it's the best time of day for spotting wildlife. What that involves though, is you often end up riding directly into a setting sun, AND after the sun sets! No one pair of riding glasses is perfect under all conditions, but the transitions are as close as I've ever found.

There are lenses that are already tinted and also get darker in more intense sun. I've worn glasses from this company for 20 years. HIGHLY recommended. They are the main supplier for Antarctic workers.
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Maybe the best solution to solve the sudden change from light to dark is a high quality pair of flip-up sunglasses.

Another thing to consider that might help your transition into the darker tunnels is how dark the lens are. If you are going in and out of light to dark, maybe some shades that block around 50% might work better for you than shades blocking 80%, as long as 50% is dark enough for you when you are in the sun. You might also find a difference between grey and brown or other colored lenses that works better for you.

Polarized lenses can also make it difficult to read digital displays.

I generally use polarized when out on the water. There, the polarized advantage outweigh any down side.

The transition lenses on my prescription glasses are "ok" for bright sun, I don't really feel any eye strain when I'm biking. (It is an annoying limitation that they don't get darker when I'm in the car, however, thus requiring clip-ons if I want sunglasses-while-driving.)

One thing I do love for sunny rides however, is my DaBrim accessory on my helmet -- I have their deep front-visor attachment, and I have their full circumference brim attachment, for longer full-sun rides (which offers back-of-neck protection from the sun.)

We've recently purchased and tried the photochromic glasses from ROCKBROS. Easy to try out since they run only $19.99 on eBay:

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-ROCKBR...977749?hash=item2d0fc32d95:g:TjEAAOSwig9dQ06t

My eyes are quite light sensitive, having been so ever since I started wearing contact lenses many, many moons ago. These ROCKBROS glasses work really well for both my wife and I, even though their lenses don't 'seem' to get as dark as, say, my normal Oakleys.

The larger frame model (#10135) seem to work a little better for cycling as they also keep more of the wind out of our eyes, thus reducing involuntary tearing. The larger lens also protects the eye better from the errant flying insects one inevitably hits while cycling. Both frame styles fit well for us keeping the lower eyeglass frame off our cheek bones, thereby allowing air circulation and not fogging at all.

These all come with inner frames where you can have corrective lenses ground and fitted, but we haven't used that feature.

I gave up on transition glasses years ago for two reasons. They do not get as dark as I want them to get and they wear out. I bought a pair of very expensive Transitions glasses and within 3 years they turned kinda pink and ceased getting very dark. Ever since then I’ve never found a pair that got dark enough for my liking.

Back