Pedego Interceptor Kickstand

6zfshdb

Region
USA
City
Northeast Pennsylvania
This is such a minor problem, I wasn't going to post this until I read in another forum of someone else having this same issue with a Pedego Interceptor. So, in case it might help someone, here it is.

I often carry a lot of weight in my panniers and rear rack bag, sometimes as much as 40 pounds. With that much weight on the rear, it tends to pull the bike over no matter how the kickstand is adjusted. I tried a variety of rear frame mount kickstands with limited success. None of the ones I tested were as well built or had the solid feel of the OEM Pedego stand.

The problem is the OEM Pedego kickstand swings too far forward when deployed. It provides little support for weight on the rear of the bike. I found by adding a 3/16" thick aluminum shim to the mechanism, the kickstand touches the ground about 4" further to the rear. This makes a huge difference in balancing a rear heavy bike.

P1070551.JPG
Unmodified

P1070549a.jpg
With shim

P1070553a.jpg P1070554a.jpg P1070555a.jpg

I cut a piece of 1" aluminum angle as shown and screwed it to the kickstand frame. This way, It could be removed if the experiment didn't work out. It worked so well that I'm going to epoxy a flat piece of 3/16" aluminum in the mechanism instead of using a screw.

Interesting hack!

It looks like you have a Platinum Interceptor. The added height of the Platinum’s suspension fork can make an issue like yours a little worse than on standard Interceptors.

Interesting hack!

It looks like you have a Platinum Interceptor. The added height of the Platinum’s suspension fork can make an issue like yours a little worse than on standard Interceptors.

Yes, this is true. The issue only shows up with a lot of weight on the rear rack. Most Platinum Interceptor owners won't experience the problem

I had been having a problem with my interceptor staying upright with the kickstand. I only saw the one bolt holding it in place - attaching it to the frame and didn't see there was any adjustments to it. I was thinking I needed to get a dual kickstand like they have for the stretch model. Doing some research I came across this forum. I was checking my kickstand to see if I could modify mine like shown here.
I found that THERE IS AN ADJUSTMENT to make to your kickstand longer or shorter! The lower section of the kickstand that includes the foot has a screw on the back. At first it thought it was to merely attach the rubbery foot to it, then I noted that you can loosen that bolt and can slide the lower section up or down. Lowering it down, essentially extends the stand, keeping the bike more upright. I assume my bolt was not tightened properly and made the kickstand too short, allowing the bike to lean too much.
Simply loosen the bolt, pull your foot out & then tighten the bolt back.

Yes, this is true. In my case, even adjusted out all the way, my rear heavy Interceptor was still unstable, especially on soft or uneven ground. Installing the shim I mentioned above made a big difference by shifting the balance point 4" to the rear. Without a lot of weight on the rear rack, this shim isn't necessary though.

Back