Pedego Factory Recall

Of our four affected Pedegos, one had the problem (mine), and in 4,000 miles of riding, it happened maybe 20 times? And, the acceleration was not super fast--easy for me to hit the brake, which always stops electric assist. I did take my bike back to the dealer to have it checked out a few times, and when I took it in for the recall he said that his experience with my bike sensitized him to the issue and he was persistent with Pedego HQ about the problem. I am glad that my bike was part of the solution.

I promptly took our four bikes in for the recall repair. And, they send out parts and instructions for those who can't take their bike in to a dealer.

Pedego issued a second recall notice:

Campaign Logo

VOLUNTARY PRODUCT RECALL ALERT

In cooperation with the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission, Pedego is voluntarily recalling several Pedego electric bike models due to an improperly manufactured electrical cable. The recalled units were sold between January 2018 and August 2020. If you purchased a Pedego during this time period, stop using the product immediately. It’s possible for wear and/or corrosion (commonly known as fretting) of a cable connection to occur and cause the bike to momentarily accelerate on its own, posing a potential fall hazard.

The following models purchased between January 2018 and August 2020 may be affected:
· Interceptor (Including Platinum Edition)
· City Commuter (Including Mid Drive Edition and Black Edition)
· Boomerang Plus
· Ridge Rider
· Trail Tracker (Including Gorilla Edition)
· Stretch (Including Dual Drive Edition)

What to do:

Step 1:

Stop using the product immediately.

Step 2:

Determine if your bike is affected. There are three determining factors: date of purchase, bike model, and cable type.

1. Date of Purchase

Check your proof of purchase or other records to determine the original date of purchase. Products purchased between January 2018 and August 2020 may be affected. Bikes not purchased during this time period are safe to use.

2. Bike Model

Check the model identified on the chain guard or chainstay of the bike. Please Click Here to see an image of where to locate this information. The following models may be affected: City Commuter (including Mid Drive Edition and Black Edition) , Interceptor (Including Platinum Edition), Boomerang, Stretch, Ridge Rider, Trail Tracker (including Gorilla Edition), Stretch (including Dua Drive Edition). Models not included on this list are safe to use.

3. Cable Type

If you purchased one of the models listed during the specified time period, check the cable junction found near the handlebars to determine if your bike is affected. Please Click Here to see an image of where to locate this information.

If you’re still unsure if your bike is affected, please visit Click Here to review product images or call 888-871-7115 for assistance.

Step 3:

If you’ve determined that your bike is affected, please visit www.pedegobikerecall.expertinquiry.com or call 888-871-7115 to file a claim. You’ll be provided with a unique claim ID number. Please save or make a copy of your claim ID number as it will be required to make an appointment for the cable replacement.

Step 4:

Locate an authorized Pedego dealer at https://www.pedegoelectricbikes.com/dealers (or https://www.pedegoelectricbikes.ca/dealers for Canadian customers) and schedule an appointment to have the cable replaced free of charge. Your claim ID number will be required for an appointment. An appointment is required for the cable replacement.

We deeply regret any inconvenience this may cause you. We know you are eager to start riding your Pedego again as soon as possible. Out of an abundance of caution, we believe this is the right thing to do, and we hope you understand.

Pedego Electic Bikes
11310 Slater Avenue
Fountain Valley, CA 92708
800-646-8604

There is nothing new here, it's pretty much the same as the first notice.

Since I'm over 3 hours away from a Pedego dealer, I requested the recall kits for my three Platinum Interceptors be sent directly to me. The kits arrived in about a week and I recently completed the first install. With the help of the you tube videos linked earlier in this thread, It took about 60 minutes to do the work. It was a pretty straight forward task with no real difficulty involved. I plan to do my other two bikes over the winter months.

Thanks again to Pedego for working with me to get this issue resolved.

Unsubscribe

My City Commuter Lite Black ed. was purchased well within the time frame stated in the recall (Sept., 2019). The bike indeed has the "Julet" stamped where directed by recall instructions. I contacted Pedego and was given a verification number. Over time, however, the bike dealer has given me 3 different reasons why they should not or cannot fix it: 1) I have the wrong model. 2) My bike is too old to be in this category to be fixed. 3) The new replacement cable does not fit onto my current cable. At this point I believed them, so I continued to ride the bike (which, overall, I like very much). Then, recently, I experienced a _very sudden_ surge of power when I was stopped or nearly stopped, slamming me to the ground. Yes, scary. I luckily landed on the street when no cars were coming. I hit my head hard (denting my new helmet) and have a sore back 7 days after the fall. I would like anyone’s advice for correcting this long-term issue. Not sure I trust myself to replace cables and parts correctly and safely. Would another different Pedego store fix the bike? Thanks.

My City Commuter Lite Black ed. was purchased well within the time frame stated in the recall (Sept., 2019). The bike indeed has the "Julet" stamped where directed by recall instructions. I contacted Pedego and was given a verification number. Over time, however, the bike dealer has given me 3 different reasons why they should not or cannot fix it: 1) I have the wrong model. 2) My bike is too old to be in this category to be fixed. 3) The new replacement cable does not fit onto my current cable. At this point I believed them, so I continued to ride the bike (which, overall, I like very much). Then, recently, I experienced a _very sudden_ surge of power when I was stopped or nearly stopped, slamming me to the ground. Yes, scary. I luckily landed on the street when no cars were coming. I hit my head hard (denting my new helmet) and have a sore back 7 days after the fall. I would like anyone’s advice for correcting this long-term issue. Not sure I trust myself to replace cables and parts correctly and safely. Would another different Pedego store fix the bike? Thanks.
I would contact Pedego tech support directly and explain the problem. They should be able to advise as to your course of action.

I have three Pedego bikes which were all subject to the recall. Pedego sent me the parts and I did the work myself. It isn't difficult with a minimum of tools required. Each bike took about 45 minutes to install the replacement wiring harness. There is a link to a You Tube video on how to do the work earlier in this thread.

I suspect your dealer just doesn't want to do the work for some reason. If there is another dealer nearby, check with them if you're not comfortable doing the work yourself.

Pedego tech support is super helpful over the phone. I'd call them and share your woes, as 6zfshdb suggests. :)

I would contact Pedego tech support directly and explain the problem. They should be able to advise as to your course of action.

I have three Pedego bikes which were all subject to the recall. Pedego sent me the parts and I did the work myself. It isn't difficult with a minimum of tools required. Each bike took about 45 minutes to install the replacement wiring harness. There is a link to a You Tube video on how to do the work earlier in this thread.

I suspect your dealer just doesn't want to do the work for some reason. If there is another dealer nearby, check with them if you're not comfortable doing the work yourself.
Thanks so much for your quick, helpful reply. Please see details below, but I _think_ the issue is nearly resolved!

Pedego tech support is super helpful over the phone. I'd call them and share your woes, as 6zfshdb suggests. :)
Thanks very much. You are right. The person at Pedego worked with me to figure out most of this issue. Please see some details in the next post.

The person at Pedego worked with me to figure out most of this issue. Please see some details in the next post.
Woot woot!!! :) Looking forward to hearing the solution. The quickest way to resolve a problem is to call tech support, for sure. :)

@Pheeb as a side note, if you've dented your helmet you need to replace it.
Thank you for the reminder! It's a small dent (see photo attached), if that makes a difference. Nonetheless, I appreciate your note. For all of you kind respondents, here are some details of this confusing issue. 1. The recall announcement states, "City Commuter Black Edition"; 2. My sales receipt states, "City Commuter Lite Black Package"; 3) the fast and helpful person at Pedego stated (based on serial #) that my bike is a, "City Commuter Lite." As well, I completed the recall form and was issued a verification number. I called them later to verify that my bike was affected, and was told, "We would not give you a number unless your bike qualified to be fixed." The other evidence was my sudden and hard fall (to the side), that seemed _unlike_ a few past falls (I've ridden bikes for decades). My bottom line now is that I tend to believe my "Lite" (even though it has fenders and Lites are not advertised as having them) was NOT affected, but that I should still take it to the shop for a once-over to look for possible electrical problems. Whew! Thanks again to everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_0152.JPG
    IMG_0152.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 360
Pedego use very cheap suppliers in China , even the bikes they claim are made in Taiwan are actually made by taiwanese companies in China. There will be more recalls in the near future I am sure

I own a 2017 PEDEGO City Commuter. A few weeks ago, I was off the bike, crossing the street in the crosswalk. The throttle surged and the bike went vertical, crashing to the ground. I tried to pick it up and it happened twice more before I regained the presence of mind to pick it up from the center of the handlebar, then turn off the power. This really shook me up. PEDEGO is fixing it but I am considering disabling the throttle. What do you think?

I had the same thing happen with my 2018 Platinum Interceptor lase year. It is indeed a startling situation. The problem is a defect in the wiring harness. The ground wire in the Julet throttle connector corrodes causing the bike to intermittently go full throttle without warning. Pedego issued a recall for all bikes using this type connector.

Pedego sent me the replacement wiring harness and I installed it myself. Took about a half hour to do, with no special tools required. I've had no problems since but as a precaution, I turn the PAS to zero before releasing the hand brake when I stop. This disables the throttle circuit just in case.

Welcome to the forum! Too bad your first post had to be a bummer. On the bright side, Pedego makes a great bike and they stand behind their product. The incident above is the only problem I've had with my three Pedego's in almost 8000 miles.

I'm really glad I joined this site. I love my pedego but about two weeks ago I was close to my door in my apt bldg when the bike shot forward I tried grabbing brake the bike turned left and hit the stucco wall outside my door then fell on left side when I finally picked it up my brake lever completely broke off my the throttle broke off and a huge gash on the frame. The bike now has an error 06 and I never had any idea about this recall till joining this site turns out mine is affected. Thanks for having a site like this.

I build my own ebikes, but those throttles can sure cause big problems. I have a quarter twist grip throttle on a BBS02 and if you twist that thing when you're not on it, it goes flying.

I'm really glad I joined this site. I love my pedego but about two weeks ago I was close to my door in my apt bldg when the bike shot forward I tried grabbing brake the bike turned left and hit the stucco wall outside my door then fell on left side when I finally picked it up my brake lever completely broke off my the throttle broke off and a huge gash on the frame. The bike now has an error 06 and I never had any idea about this recall till joining this site turns out mine is affected. Thanks for having a site like this.
Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about your mishap.

The throttle recall involves replacing the wiring harness as well as the throttle itself. The problem is caused by a faulty connector which can cause the bike to go full throttle unexpectedly. In my case, I had the parts shipped and was able to do the work myself. It isn't difficult but does require some basic tool knowledge. It may be best to let your dealer do the job.

Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about your mishap.

The throttle recall involves replacing the wiring harness as well as the throttle itself. The problem is caused by a faulty connector which can cause the bike to go full throttle unexpectedly. In my case, I had the parts shipped and was able to do the work myself. It isn't difficult but does require some basic tool knowledge. It may be best to let your dealer do the job.
Thank you and I agree with your suggestion. I am hoping to be in contact with pedego today. All the comp
onents on right side handlebar were completely broken when it hit the wall. I've never dealt with their customer service but hope it's the reason why I purchased my pedego

Back