Pearl Izumi heated gloves

Timpo

What do you think?

(Amazon Japan website, select "English" on language bar at the top)
https://www.amazon.co.jp/パールイズミ-サイクルグローブ-HG03-ブラック-日本サイズM相当/dp/B074VQKLDC/ref=sr_1_9?__mk_ja_JP=カタカナ&dchild=1&keywords=pearl+izumi+heated+gloves&qid=1603590910&sr=8-9

Pearl Izumi official website
(use Google Translate if you use Google Chrome)

I like the idea... been looking at heated gloves and these look less bulky than most. I haven’t pulled the trigger on any pair yet.

Those Pearl Izumi gloves would work during the shoulder seasons here. I have a similar pair of heated liners that I use during the winter and wear them under insulated gloves on bitterly cold days but they could also be worn as stand alone gloves. They are not touch screen compatible like the PI versions so one would need to apply Nanotips or something similar.
IMG_20201024_2028504.jpgIMG_20201024_2027184.jpg

The liners work quite well for my needs but I use them exclusively under insulated gloves. There are three heat settings and the lithium cells tuck into zippered pockets inside each liner. My gloves also came with extension cords that run up one’s jacket sleeves and the batteries can then be conveniently stowed in the inner pocket of your jacket instead of in the gloves. They are not cheap but for me they are vital as I like to keep my digits warm when the mercury plunges.

http://powerinmotion.ca/Products/Heated-Wear/Heated-Glove-Liners

For rain-soaked rides, I recommend wearing these over the liners.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5053-602/Drencher-Gloves?org_text=drencher

I used these all winter they worked great even in the rain. my hands get really cold with any other gloves when it gets below 45. it only got down to 30 but they were fine for most people they should be good even lower. they broke in well and I hadn't any issues with shifting and braking and controlling the bike computer. my only reral complaint is that you have to take the battery out to charge it. but that seems normal. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZ5THJT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
I buy Hot Hands pocket warmers from Amazon every year or two and just put one in each glove. If you look for a decent deal on them, you can get them for about $.30 each, or $.60 for the 8 hours or so they'll keep your hands warm. If you only ride for an hour or two, then you can transfer them to your pockets to stay warm. The advantage to using your own gloves is they are probably not as bulky, some have good phone screen sensitivity already, and they probably fit well also. I suppose you might use up $10-$20 worth a season, but the battery cost or hassle of charging seems to offset that to a large degree for me. They use iron filings and salt for the chemical reaction, (Rust) and are non poluting, caustic, or enviromentally unfriendly. I just found some on sale for less than $.10 apiece on line. Unfortunately it was a limited supply and I bought them all. (7X8 packs=$10.50 total for 112 units)

Here's an Amazon link for 10 pair for $5.79.

Hot Hands Pocket Warmers

Last edited:
I've thought about something like Hot Hands, but the part of my hand that needs the heat is my fingers, not the back of my hand.

I've thought about something like Hot Hands, but the part of my hand that needs the heat is my fingers, not the back of my hand.
Y thats a problem plus they take awhile to heat up so you have to plan ahead and me I ride at least two times a day and sometimes three in the cold so the pads would be a real pain.

My experience is that in the palm, your heater will warm your blood that flows to your fingers. Especially with leather gloves. I don't use knit gloves, so they might not be as effective, but the wind can flow through them anyway. They are not very large or thick, Probably about the same size as a tea bag.

Y thats a problem plus they take awhile to heat up so you have to plan ahead and me I ride at least two times a day and sometimes three in the cold so the pads would be a real pain.
It's helpful to exhale through them a few times because the moisture in your breath accelerates their chemical reaction. Mine heat up in just a few minutes this way. They last around the 8 hours as advertised, and I don't know how long a set of batteries will last, but if it's more than that, then that would be the way to go.

It's helpful to exhale through them a few times because the moisture in your breath accelerates their chemical reaction. Mine heat up in just a few minutes this way. They last around the 8 hours as advertised, and I don't know how long a set of batteries will last, but if it's more than that, then that would be the way to go.
never thought to breathe on them. but my rides at most are 3 to 4 hours. but commuting its only 35 minutes twice a day. but I need my whole hand warm my fingers froze when I tried the little bags. or I would forget to get them going and have to rush off.

Well, they’re not perfect for every situation, that’s for sure. I’m experimenting with turning them “Off” by sealing in a ziplock bag. Works well to shut them down, now I am waiting for them to reheat after removal from the bag. I’ll post my results I a little while.

I say use whatever works for your specific needs and riding conditions. For me, it's gotta be some form of heated gloves.

The Powerinmotion liners are form fitting which allows for better heat transfer to my hand and specifically my digits and are also easy to slip into my choice of gloves making them quite versatile though I recommend upsizing outerwear for a better fit. I pair them with Sturmfist gloves on really cold rides. I've used them going on four years now and so far they haven't let me down. They were designed for Alberta winters so cycling/working in sub zero temperatures is possible for those who want to brave the elements. It was -30C wind chill this morning making it too cold and icy to venture out with the e-bike. I'll be deferring to my tire-studded acoustic MTB if current conditions persist.

I can't back up the manufacturer’s claim of run-time on a single charge (10 hrs on low) as I've never worn them for that long. For me, these liners allow me to stay out longer during my winter rides.
IMG_20200214_1414161.jpg

When it gets closing to freezing I usually put my set of bar mitts on my bike with drop bars

https://www.amazon.ca/Bar-Mitts-Han...d=1&keywords=bar+mitts&qid=1603657052&sr=8-15.

I usually only use medium thick gloves, because the bar mitts work so well. The down side is with the mitts on there is only one position for my hands. I could rest them on the top of the bar, but then reaching in the mitt to use the brakes would take too long if I needed to stop really quickly.

They're also available for flat bars.

Today, with the temperature around minus 2 C when I left my house, I rode with my wife's Costco heated gloves. They did an okay job of keeping my hands from getting too cold, but the ride lasted 2.5 hours and the battery gave out before the ride was over. I was surprised, since I only used the high level for 20 minutes at the beginning of the ride and used the low and medium settings for the remainder of the riding time.

Here is my latest findings from my experiments with the Hot Hands.

The ziplock bag does shut down the heat generation within a few minutes as long as as much air as possible is pressed out before sealing. The pouch will reactivate as soon as it is exposed to air again. I did this twice with the same unit without any problems. The bad news is my device only ran for about 5 hours before cooling off permanently. They are about 2-3 years old, so I suppose the shelf life was a factor, and I'm OK with that.

All in all, I think they are a viable alternative to electrically heated gloves and for $.10-$.30 apiece, a pretty reasonably priced consideration. I searched for them on the Walmart website and found seven packs of 8 pairs each for $1.50 a pack. I have found similar deals in the past at Amazon and other on line stores. I've got some decent gloves, and they work well in those.

Thanks for the heads up about Pearl Izumi heated gloves.
Pearl Izumi makes my favorite light lobster gloves.

For heated gloves, I like Savior: Variety of types of gloves, including armored option, and lower price.
I also have a pair of heated glove liners to wear inside other gloves, but I don't use them often.

I wholeheartedly recommend heated gloves. I find them warmer than my thick Black Diamond mits, which resemble boxing gloves and would be difficult to ride with.
It would be good if someone made gloves that plug into the e-bike battery.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up about Pearl Izumi heated gloves.
Pearl Izumi makes my favorite light lobster gloves.

For heated gloves, I like Savior: Variety of types of gloves, including armored option, and lower price.
I also have a pair of heated glove liners to wear inside other gloves, but I don't use them often.

I wholeheartedly recommend heated gloves. I find them warmer than my thick Black Diamond mits, which resemble boxing gloves, and would be difficult to ride with.
It would be good if someone made gloves that plug into the e-bike battery.
ya when nI started riding again I bought some of the pearl cold weather lobster gloves and they did not work for me at 45 degrees. not sure if it is my hands or because I would go 22mph. so the savior work well and they are easy to ride with,

Timely subject. My fingerless bike gloves weren't cutting it during the rain/hail commute at 44 degrees last week :)

I have a pair of mechanics gloves that I used down to 39 degrees last week, but I'm definitely not going to make it through the winter without something a little better.
On a related note: I have a boot/glove drier coming from Amazon on the theory that my commute home will be more comfortable if I'm not starting off with cold and wet gloves and shoes.

Back