Padded Gloves for e-bike or change the grips or both

ETAF

Region
United Kingdom
City
UK, near Chichester, west Sussex
I have riden my e-bike a few times mow and have very sore palms , well just below the palms - I remember this happened a lot on my normal bike.
But that had standard round grips - this e-bilke does have a slightly flatter area on the frip
Ideal Wave Prisma 810

I have purchased a set of comfort grips - BUT notice the bike already has this style of grip - the rest part is not as big as the Ergon

Ergon GP1 Evo

Would you change them, used them , OR would I be better of with some fingerless Gel gloves - or indeed both

I really like the Ergon hand grips, but you need to check the fit of you to your bike to see if the problem is there. Why spend money treating the symptoms when can can cure the disease. Though, those grips just might solve your problem. Regardless, they're worth the money, imho.

Get padded gloves no matter what for fall protection. Wear them on every ride.

Meanwhile, experiment with the angle the grip wings make with the horizontal. The angle between your wrist and the back of your hand should be a little less than 180°.

Last edited:
Thanks for that , any recommendations for gloves ??

I've had good luck with Specialized Body Geometry fingerless, HT2PLOO HTZPLOO fingerless, and KUTOOK fingered — all summer weight for my SoCal climate but holding up well. Got the last 2 on Amazon.

Strongly recommend hi-vis colors, and always use hand signals.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice, and suggestions , i did look on amazon.c.uk and didnt see those available - PLUS i wanted to be able to try them on for fit
I went to a Bike shop in town, they had a few makes , and said these where the better quality, as the cheaper ones the gel tends to breakup
and he did me a deal on the price

Went for a ride , seems to work OK, however I do need to adjust the Ergon grips slighly , which i will be doing later this afternoon

BUT thanks for all the advice

I also got some Mountain Warehouse Forest Hiking waterproof trousers with zip pockets - which also work really well

so just need a small pouch for all the keys now , as I have for both bikes when out together - 2 batt keys, 2 lock keys and house key - so want something to save the trousers

I’m a taller rider and had sore palms and numb hands on longer rides. Padded gloves and ergo grips helps; but, the biggest help was adding an adjustable handle bar stem. It adjusted my riding angle to more upright to take the pressure off the palms of my hands, arms, and shoulders. The ergo grips and padded gloves were icing on the cake after the adjustable stem.

my other half said that i needed to adjust the handle bars - and they are NOT adjustable - Her bike is
so will look into that and what i needed to do / get

I use two different styles of Ergon winged grips (the version for angled bars, and the straight bar version). The angled ones are noticeably more comfortable. Also I use Wolf Tooth Fat Paw and Mega Fat Paw silicone grips. After using both, I prefer the silicone Wolf Tooths. I have wrist issues thanks to a bike crash several years ago that put me on the deep cushioning track, as well as trying to find handlebars with a pullback that aren't cruiser bars.

I did the Wolftooths for many years. I wrap them, old-school bar-tape-style, with silicone plumber's tape, which is silicone-on-silicone so it sticks like it was glued on. Protects the grips as they are gouge-prone, and becomes a smooth, grippy surface after the initial stickiness wears off in about a day. If you dig a divot into one, you just wrap it in another layer of tape, although I have only had to do this once or twice over several years.

I am doing 1 1/2 grips per side here on Jones bars so its a tad pricey. You have to look very closely to see where one grip ends and its extension begins.
pxl_20210323_002918818-e1617146758172[1].jpg
pxl_20210411_005649821-1-e1618184776980[1].jpg
img_20181204_074653-e1616021024527[1].jpg

The Ergons just below have been extended a bit with scraps of Wolf Tooth grips because I bought the shortie version. I forget the exact reason why, but I moved them around to I think 3 different bikes before retiring them. You have to be careful on positioning this style of grip so the paddle is up, but not up so much it becomes a pressure point and thus a new way to induce pain.
20230606_174824[1].jpg
20230608_181518[1].jpg
20230202_191457[1].jpg

And the latest from just a couple of months ago. I went back to the WolfTooth. And Cinelli gel bar tape which, back in the day, felt like a pillow cushion, and nowadays feels like a barely padded brick.

20240819_164045[1].jpg

You can see I used a narrower thickness at the bend just behind the crossbar. Thats a length of Fat Paw, with the rest being a Mega Paw grip stuffed up against it, and wrapped in silicone tape. This is the second bar I have done like this since discovering the Surly Corner Bar early this year, and it has been an enormous help to my hands.

As for gloves, if the weather is storming, I wear Costco-sourced Wells-Lamont full finger water proof gardening gloves. Leather palms, no padding. Or if its not wet, I wear these 'Fire Lion' Chinese specials who, most importantly, have thick padding for the meat of the palm down low where most of my pain shows up on my hands. I have at four pairs of these things and Amazon says my last pair was bought in June of 2021, so they last, although some are more worn-looking than others.

71rvZW8zcBL._AC_SL1200_[1].jpg

Late to the discussion @ETAF but let me contribute.

I ride for medium to long distances. This summer, it was a single situation when I didn't wear fingerless padded gloves, and terribly regretted that! I can also recommend Specialized Body Geometry Sport Gel Gloves (not necessarily the Dual ones).

I went through 3 pairs of gloves when the touchscreen material wore out on my thumbs and index fingers.
All the gloves were too tight on my fingers including the XXL size, so on my fourth pair, I cut open all the fingers before I wore them.

20240924_210816.jpg

It works great!!
The touch screen material didn't work worth a crap anyway and now I can work my phone with all my fingers, and it's way easier to light a smoke while I'm riding. 😂

So now I've got fingertipless gloves with better finger protection than regular fingerless gloves. 😂

+1 for both wing grips AND padded gloves.

Yesterday, I took out the Motobecane, which has stock grips, after riding the Marin build for months. Whoa, my hands hurt-- wing grips rock!

But the Marin build also has a riser for the bars and swept back bars like the ones in MaR@binson's post. I don't know which helped the most, but the Marin is so much easier to ride on the daily, I think I may swap out the bars. (They also seemed impossibly wide after riding the Marin for so long.)

Worth mentioning: I ride with full-finger gloves for safety in a crash. Not for ride comfort. I've had my hands saved as a result of this, wearing deerskin gardening gloves. Didn't save my wrists on impact, but the palms and fingers of those gloves were scored terribly. My skin stayed intact and had no grit ground in.

Those padded gloves I linked are a bit of a concession. I'm trying to go back to unpadded leather with the new drop bars. Even though I am leaning over harder, the hand/wrist angle is better for me for pain relief. In blazing summer heat, you sweat right thru these deerskin work gloves (deerskin is super soft), but thats the tradeoff for keeping your hands in one piece, riding on the street, if things go sideways.

img_20190619_082636[1].jpg

Back