Op Ed in LA Times... E-bikes may be the greenest form of transportation ever

I wish the manufacturers were putting their energy towards the use of e bikes as green transport as this article suggests rather than the focus on e mtb's.

The only way to get folks out of their cars and into more efficient transportation is to make driving gas powered cars too expensive and very inconvenient to use.

I wish the manufacturers were putting their energy towards the use of e bikes as green transport as this article suggests rather than the focus on e mtb's.
I don't know. The manufacturers are going to build what is demanded, more or less. There seems to be quite a big selection of e-road bikes. I can only justify one bike, a MTB, but I'm planning on getting an extra wheelset with smooth rubber for the pavement.

It seems indeed that e-MTBs and road race bikes are more popular in the US than commuting-style electric bicycles. That's where a lot of the marketing is. Maybe it is linked to bicycles still being frowned upon by many and being considered mainly toys and something for weekend hobbies. (which could also explain the dominant focus on throttle bikes and ever increasing power and speed ratings, instead of a broad offering of well balanced torque sensing PAS commuter bicycles)

Everyone has their own reasons of course, but for me personally I don't see the use case of e-powered sport bicycles (MTB or road cycling) if you ride alone. It's myself against the terrain/distance with my machine, exercising, whatever the assistance you might get. I don't care how fast I go in absolute terms, it's just me pushing the cranks. I've got nothing to prove, no one to keep up with. If you want to improve, you can test yourself against your previous averages.

Same goes for road race cycling. The idea is to always go high on your own human power output. Now if I add 250 Watt to that from an external source, I don't really care as it changes nothing for the part that really matters, your own workout. And whether that's at 35kph or 50 kph ... What do I need to prove, that I can sustain 45kph for 4 hours like a pro?

Again, it's different if you want to keep up with your riding buddies and you can't for whatever reason, I get that.

But I would definitely never accept the added complexity, added failure items, heavier machines at easily triple the cost of a very decent non e-MTB, just for some extra juice when I don't need to get from A to B reliably, every day, rain or shine for that type of ride. You can't just shorten your commute like you can a workout loop.

So yeah, I'm with @JRA in hoping that the focus can go where e-bikes make an immediately obvious difference in the lives of many people who live in urban areas. Decongestion of inner cities, healthier citizens, less stress, less pollution, you name it. The added boost might be just what gets people on bicycles, making that commute just a little friendlier on the legs, "erasing" that nasty hill midway, allowing you to commute when you're having a bad day.

The article linked in the OP is painfully obvious you're European. E-bike or not, cycling is much more than a recreational activity here. If you combine it with forward looking and smart infrastructure it really is a win-win for everyone, even the car drivers! Car drivers don't realise that everyone out of car is extra space for them on the road, easily creating the space for dedicated bike lanes. But I fear there is a long way to go if you see how overtly aggressive some car drivers are towards bicyclist who they clearly consider as inferior, while lobbying and claiming all the public space for themselves...

I invite anyone to go spend some time in Rotterdam or Copenhagen to see how it's done. If you like this industry and have the right mindset, these places are like heaven on earth

I've often wondered what would happen if a major city DOT gave $20 million in significant bicycle rebates instead of the same to "add more capacity" to a freeway. They could even make it contingent on using a smartphone app to track that eligible candidates are using their bikes for commuting.

I've often wondered what would happen if a major city DOT gave $20 million in significant bicycle rebates instead of the same to "add more capacity" to a freeway. They could even make it contingent on using a smartphone app to track that eligible candidates are using their bikes for commuting.

We could call it. "flip flops for bikes "

Big success !

I don't know how many eMTBs are being sold, but Pedego sells a lot more street bikes.

Most of our customers just want to get out in the fresh air and have some fun, but we have commuters mixed in, too. Many of the ones who don't commute will run errands on their bikes.

I originally got into ebikes as an eco-friendly way to commute 4 miles each way. I didn't do it every day, but it got my car off the road a couple days a week.

I can't do such rides on a non-electric bike. I sweat too freely.

One time my wife's friend's band was playing at a bar, and we took our Pedegos. I pedaled (assisted) about 2/3 of the way there, got a little sweaty, and throttled the rest of the way, arriving pretty dry. After, I did pedal-assist all the way home. It was a great night!

Back