Older Turbo motor shut-off

jbike01

Region
USA
Does anyone with an older (2014/5) Turbo know if it is possible to stop the motor from fighting speed when you are just going downhill vs. peddling? I understand the motor disengaging when max speed is reached, but it feels like it is actively trying to stop the wheel when rolling on a decline.

Does anyone with an older (2014/5) Turbo know if it is possible to stop the motor from fighting speed when you are just going downhill vs. peddling? I understand the motor disengaging when max speed is reached, but it feels like it is actively trying to stop the wheel when rolling on a decline.
Only guessing. Some types of hub-drive motors do not disengage, and these create electromotive force trying to slow you down. Cannot say anything concrete though.

It's not a geared hub but there is some resistance from the drive. It depends how steep the hill is but if it is only slightly downhill and you reach the assist cutoff at 28 MPH it will feel like it is fighting you but it's just making you do all of the work at that point. On a steeper downhill I have no problem exceeding the cutoff. This is the same as riding on the flats where you hit the cutoff and you suddenly have to either double your output or slow down slightly to allow the motor to contribute. The algorithm stops all assist at 28 mph. It would have been nice if it allowed support to 28 and only the full incremental effort above that.

It's not a geared hub but there is some resistance from the drive. It depends how steep the hill is but if it is only slightly downhill and you reach the assist cutoff at 28 MPH it will feel like it is fighting you but it's just making you do all of the work at that point. On a steeper downhill I have no problem exceeding the cutoff. This is the same as riding on the flats where you hit the cutoff and you suddenly have to either double your output or slow down slightly to allow the motor to contribute. The algorithm stops all assist at 28 mph. It would have been nice if it allowed support to 28 and only the full incremental effort above that.
You are absolutely right Allan! (I didn't think about it). @jbike01 could attempt this:
Riding downhill at the speed lower than 28 mph, and turning the assistance off will produce the impression the e-bike is pulled backwards (it is necessary to pedal all the time to notice the phenomenon).

Back