Old Ellsworth Joker conversion?

Pulse

Hi Chaps/Chapettes,

After some information from experienced ebike convertors...

I have an old 2004 Ellsworth Joker (similar to the one below) that sees little to no use these days as i don't do any DH/FR'ing anymore. I'd like to convert it to an e-bike cause i don't want to part with it (love the thing), and make it a daily commuter. Commute range is about 22Km one way. Thinking a Bfang BBS02 500W with a 36v 17AH battery.

Can anyone with this motor see any issues with the swingarm pivot and the motor (see pic)?
Another issue is the battery mount. Only place I can see it going is underneath the downtube where the bottle cage is. Otherwise... thinking a backpack (not preferred).
Also would the 36v 17AH battery give me enough range for a return trip wihout a charge? I'm a reasonably fit 70Kg who don't mind pedalling the flats but this thing was never meant to climb.

All info appreciated (apart from sell and buy another bike :) i really want to keep it ).

Cheers,

1573529352599.png

I don't have a mid-drive since I pedal myself 70% of the distance, but a rear hub drive would work.
You could drill twice into that stout bottom bar and hang a battery from the front as I've done on the bike left. That bike has bosses for 1/4 bolts welded into the frame already, for their "bread basket" accessory. Drill near the top of the bottom bar, the stresses are near the bottom. For the mount I used 1/2"x1/8" aluminum angle and #10 SS screws with elastic stop nuts to avoid the cage falling apart. Wrapped battery in packing foam for insulation & PVC bag (green) for rain resistance. Welding angle brackets on the bottom would be better, but you'd need a heliarc rig if the frame is aluminum.
I can't imagine working with mud all over my pants. Fenders? Of course it doesn't always rain out in the middle of your continent.
My 17 AH 48 v battery goes from 51.5 v to 46 in 30 hilly miles in summer. That is geared hub motor, the DD motor I had would go down to 44 same route. Hit the red light & cut out on the next to last hill. Both those readings are with me pedaling unpowered on most of the route. In winter I took a 22 mile flatter round trip and found it at about 46. So If you commute in winter, get more battery or charge at work.

Last edited:
Back