Nyon 2021 not syncing some rides.

Homet

I’m not sure exactly what’s going on but sometimes, after I get back home the Nyon just refuses to sync. It’s connected to my home WiFi and usually a few minutes after I get back, the data is in the Bosch portal ready for me to take a look. Today, I’ve returned from a ride and theres no record on the portal of the ride. I’ve synced manually, rebooted, connected to a different network etc but it won’t update the ride. This happened a few weeks ago and that ride has never appeared on the portal.

EDIT:
It’s now a few hours later and the portal has updated a little. I rode around 13.98 miles but the portal says “ongoing activity” and it’s only displaying 3.9 miles of the ride! A quick look at the Nyon shows that the total ride was 13.9 miles.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
I had that happen once, and had to sync via my phone over bluetooth to get it to finish uploading. I did setup the Nyon with my smartphone rather than logging in directly from the Nyon.

I think in my case, it had started by using the smartphone to upload data, and would only allow it to complete the sync of that activity via the smartphone. I'll have to experiment by disabling bluetooth before starting my next ride to see if things get any better.

Having it sync over WiFi rather than my phone did help me, making it upload when I got home, rather than on the ride itself.

Another thing to try is enable “Data saving mode” on your phone in the eBike Connect settings. It should prevent uploads of ride data over the phone while you are away from WiFi.

I've just been out on a rather good ride and I wanted to see it on the map, but I arrive home and the Nyon hasn't synced. I've watched it try and it comes up with "Sync failed" and shows that it hasn't synced since yesterday. I've turned my phone off and on again, given the Nyon our wifi router's password so now it can see our wifi, all to no avail.

This is frustrating. I've had the bike (R&M Homage) just over a week, and every time since I got it it has synced seamlessly. It becomes harder to solve when things "just work" in the background and you don't know why, rather than when you actually have to do something to make it happen and you get into a routine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: the Nyon attempts to sync but says "Sync failed". The message on my iPhone app (ebike connect) says "Synced 1 minute ago". So the phone knows that the Nyon is talking to it, but it doesn't know that there's some data supposed to come to it.

Nyon ride sync is a total skip fire to be honest. You would think something like an undock from the cradle should be enough to send the signal to indict the ride is dons.

What you actually appear to need to do, walk slowly in a counterclockwise direction 3 and a quarter times, them throw sea salt over your left shoulder and then walk briskly in a clockwise direction 7 times. Make sure you only do this on Tuesdays and Thursdays before 7am. This occasionally triggers a ride sync.

If your sync skills are up for the task, and you manage to fight past this challenge, and get the completed ride on ebike connect, you are then entitled to enter the arena for the platinum challenge that only the bravest warriors should face, getting a sync from ebike connect to komoot...

GOOD LUCK BRAVE SOLDIER. YOUR CHALLENGE AWAITS

Last edited:
I don't worry about it it will sync the next ride. you can turn it off then back on and it should sync. my garmin is far worse about syncing.

I don't worry about it it will sync the next ride. you can turn it off then back on and it should sync. my garmin is far worse about syncing.
It doesn't, I actually appear to need to got for a ride, sync that ride to the portal for the portal to know to combine the previous rides into a tour.

There appears to be no periodic checks on the portal to batch up previous rides, a new ride is the event that triggers the batch and send. Really poor implementation.

Have you checked your end of ride settings (forget the exact title) under my ebike in settings? I have mine set for 4 hours of no activity. I admit I'm new to Nyon, upgraded two weeks ago, but I've had no problem with sync over wifi every time I get home from a ride.

It doesn't, I actually appear to need to got for a ride, sync that ride to the portal for the portal to know to combine the previous rides into a tour.

There appears to be no periodic checks on the portal to batch up previous rides, a new ride is the event that triggers the batch and send. Really poor implementation.
when you turn on the nyon is it connecting to your phone?

Have you checked your end of ride settings (forget the exact title) under my ebike in settings? I have mine set for 4 hours of no activity. I admit I'm new to Nyon, upgraded two weeks ago, but I've had no problem with sync over wifi every time I get home from a ride.

I don't think this particular bug is anything to do with sync from Nyon to Portal, but sync from Portal to other services. I have 3 rides on a day from last week that are all showing as completed and sat on the ebike connect website (and Andorid App). There is no sign of them in Komoot.

I'm pretty sure as soon as I do a ride today, it will trigger something in the Bosch portal to link all those old rides into a single tour and export them to Komoot.

This is fine and dandy if you ride every day. It's pretty rubbish if you don't. There should at least be a portal timeout or periodic timer that expires after 24hrs.

As expected, did a ride today, and the rides from last week have all been combined to s tour and appeared on komoot,. Today's ride will sit there forever in limbo until I do another ride.

Either a bug, or a really poor design. Periodic scanning should be occuring in the portal to combine and export, that doesn't appear to be happening, it needs to be poked by a new trip being synced from the Nyon.

As expected, did a ride today, and the rides from last week have all been combined to s tour and appeared on komoot,. Today's ride will sit there forever in limbo until I do another ride.

Either a bug, or a really poor design. Periodic scanning should be occuring in the portal to combine and export, that doesn't appear to be happening, it needs to be poked by a new trip being synced from the Nyon.
Interesting. I did a ride yesterday. None today. Yesterday's ride is in Komoot. Since I had a long lunch break at the mid point it does show it as two separate rides, but I can live with that since I rarely look at Komoot anyway. I use Strava to analyze and track my rides.

Interesting. I did a ride yesterday. None today. Yesterday's ride is in Komoot. Since I had a long lunch break at the mid point it does show it as two separate rides, but I can live with that since I rarely look at Komoot anyway. I use Strava to analyze and track my rides.
Your settings in the portal (under privacy) are the se as mine?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220424_200040.jpg
    Screenshot_20220424_200040.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 213
Your settings in the portal (under privacy) are the se as mine?
No. I had it set for rides, not trips. I just changed it, and will see tomorrow what happens. It may well be that this is the issues, since I'm not sure how one "finishes" a trip. Have you tried the other setting?

No. I had it set for rides, not trips. I just changed it, and will see tomorrow what happens. It may well be that this is the issues, since I'm not sure how one "finishes" a trip. Have you tried the other setting?
My understanding of it is this;

The setting on the Nyon controls onboard batching and this is where you can set the delay before individual trips are combined. You need to finish a ride here for anything to happen later in the "pipeline". That is the first failure point. Finishing rides is not something you can trigger manually, which adds to the problems.

The setting on the portal controls how trips are combined before syncing to komoot.

The confusion is how these two different things interact with each other.

Yup. This is the issue! My ride today did not go to Komoot yet. If you change to "rides" it should work, at least it has for me.

Yup. This is the issue! My ride today did not go to Komoot yet. If you change to "rides" it should work, at least it has for me.
you then are back to split rides on Komoot (how it used to be), is the point of the new functionality, the ability to merge all your rides into tours? A fix isn't "turn it off".

Whilst we are on bugs, every day I use my Nyon with the 3.0.0.0 release, I spot a new bug. Today's bug. When you turn the unit it, there is no consistency with what screen it starts on, it appears totally random, it's certainly not a default, and not the screen it was turned off on.

Seriously questioning what testing was actually done with this release. The broken Lock function and lack of motor power until you change ride mode is a really obvious bug, you can hear the multiple lock and unlock beeps where it's desperately trying to sort itself out. How did anyone not spot that?

When I look back at my experience with cobi.bike, and now see that Bosch views the "future" as through the smart system and Smartphone grip together with Kiox, I'm quite certain that Nyon is now EOL, sadly. I'd be surprised if we even see another software release beyond 3.0.0.0, unless they identify a bug that affects safety, not just functionality.

Back