Not sure whats wrong please help

Britonm11

Region
USA
Im looking to get my ebike looked at, ive been having some issues with the battery. About 5 days ago i started getting a torque stutter no matter what speed i went it would studder with the power, then 2 days ago same problems but the bike kept turning off and when i power it up again it shows like 11 V on the display, Wont give me power at all. I kept trying to turn it on it, would hold for a sec, then shut off again. Sometimes while it was on it would show the correct 54.2V then turn off right away again, now it won't turn on at all. I removed the battery and removed the port where the battery connector is to the controller. I tried mounting the battery to the connector without it being in the frame and it still won't power on. I used a flashlight to look at the connectors and the neutral one in my battery is kinda discolored, like the positive is still shiny metal but the negative isn't. Im not sure I'm very new to electronics like this so I was thinking corrosion looks more like rust instead of a little grey. Any info if it's the battery, or the connector cause the price is very ranged, while either looking for a new battery mount vs a new battery. Thank You

So I opened up the controller today and plugged it into the battery completely outside the mount it doesn't connect all the way and when I wiggle it around it makes a popping sound, so short? It flashes on again while wiggling it around I'm getting a volt meter on Friday for more information I'm really hoping it's going to be cheaper then a new battery. I appreciate your quick response! I've had no luck with magnum support or other forums.
Sounds like you have the dreaded fouling of the battery output connector. Common with heavy vibration and/or wet environment. You might be able to clean it but you'll probably need to replace the connection on both the battery and the holder.

So I opened up the controller today and plugged it into the battery completely outside the mount it doesn't connect all the way and when I wiggle it around it makes a popping sound, so short? It flashes on again while wiggling it around I'm getting a volt meter on Friday for more information I'm really hoping it's going to be cheaper then a new battery. I appreciate your quick response! I've had no luck with magnum support or other forums.
No short, poor connection.
Can be cleaned if not too far gone but this sounds like it's already at the replacement point. Typically the replacement parts are readily available but replacement requires experience and a certain skill level. Probably best if you search your local area for someone that can do it for you.

Last edited:
There are various methods of cleaning battery contacts. If you post a pic of both the male and female connectors, you might get more suggestions.

Cleaning the connectors is likely a temporary fix at best, but worth a try. As mentioned by @Gionnirocket above, you will eventually have to replace them.

Forsure I appreciate you guys! I live pretty close to utah magnum store, now I have an idea of what it could be.

Back