Noise from rear hub motor when going 20+ mph

someguy272

Region
USA
I recently purchased the Lectric XP 2.0 step through ebike and noticed a loud whining noise when in class 3 mode going more than 20+ mph from the rear hub motor, only hear the noise when using throttle or pedal assistance, once I stop using throttle or pedaling the noise goes away. I spoke with customer support they indicated this is normal and dismissed, can someone please let me know this is actually true?

Last edited:
I recently purchased the Lectric XP 2.0 step through ebike and noticed a loud grinding noise when in class 3 mode going more than 20+ mph from the rear hub motor, only hear the noise when using throttle or pedal assistance, once I stop the noise goes away. I spoke with customer support they indicated this is normal and dismissed, can someone please let me know this is actually true?
The hub motor Lectric uses is a geared motor giving more torque in a smaller package than a comparable direct drive hub motor. The trade off is what I would describe as a whining from the gears that increases in volume and pitch as speed increases. A grinding sound is not how I would describe it. Zip tie your phone close to the motor in video mode and upload to this forum and one of us will listen to give an opinion on normal or not. If it's a serious issue then I would think the motor will likely fail well before the 12 month warranty, Lectric has a good rep for replacement of failed parts, they would likely send the wheel assembly including assembled motor, spokes, freewheel & rim leaving you to move tire and tube to the new assembly. Hope that if the motor does fail on you that the road is flat and close to home as the bike is a bit of work to peddle without power.

A Electric bike should seen and not heard and for me that is unacceptable. I have a similar issue but a different brand ebike. Do you know who makes the HUB Motor?

Last edited:
Pull the motor apart and see how much lithium grease they have on the gears. Sounds like they are dry to me.

My motor is making the same noise between 16-18mph. Once it goes above 18mph or I let off the throttle it goes away. Would also love to figure out what is causing it.

My motor is making the same noise between 16-18mph. Once it goes above 18mph or I let off the throttle it goes away. Would also love to figure out what is causing it.
Don't wait for it to destroy itself. Pull it apart and do some inspection.

Don't wait for it to destroy itself. Pull it apart and do some inspection.
Well that's the plan depending what the company response is as it's under warranty :) Also trying to get an idea of what it could be so somewhat have an idea what I'm looking for when I open it.

Back