No PAS for me

Dorkyman

Region
USA
Just one week into riding a step-through Lectric, so perhaps take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

BUT--

I think I can see how some (perhaps many) think e-bikes are dangerous. I hadn't ridden any bike for years and it has taken me this past week to once again feel the balance sensations and keep on top of the steering, which now is again almost second-nature. But I have concluded that PAS 1 can be very difficult; if I am going very slow and then begin to pedal, the motor comes on strong enough to create a balance issue if I'm in a sharp turn. From what I've read, the mid-motor designs with torque-sensing are far more transparent.

So my solution is to turn off PAS completely, which actually is not much of a sacrifice. I now have a perfectly-fine 7-speed bike AND a throttle-controlled bike. And the throttle can be very accurately modulated, making sharp turns very predictable. I also am finding that for much of my ride I am providing all the energy needed anyway. It's just the hills and the startup that make the throttle essential.

Finally, although I've lost the built-in speed limits of PAS 1-5, I can get exactly the same thing by simply engaging Cruise Control (pick a throttle setting, then hold down the (-) button for a second).

Too bad we couldn't add a torque sensor to these great bikes. Then perhaps PAS 1 would be much more controllable.

I am not positive but think that bike can be adjusted down in the pas in the advanced display settings - so they wont be as strong

do a couple of searches , worth a try
although certainly nothing wrong with just using the throttle like that :)

By the way, Cruise Control is a great thing. Apparently, very few ebikes have it, especially an implementation that tries to hold speed, not just power output.

I agree that PAS can get tricky if you are in the middle of tight low speed maneuvering. I either set PAS to 0 in those cases, or lightly hold a brake lever to keep the motor off. Once you get used to it, it is somewhat predicatable. I'm only nervous about it when a new rider tries out my bike.

I don't see how to fix this other than wiring in a steering angle sensor.

i still think this bike has adjustments in the display settings where you can adjust how much power each pas has or turn down the overall power

My bike has both cadence and torque sensors but most of the time, I don't use them. Even though the PAS power settings are set at a comfortable level, I prefer to do what the OP does. With cruise control, the throttle can be used as an infinitely adjustable PAS. Set the speed you want and pedal to assist the bike. This avoids wasteful current "spikes" and can improve range.

I agree that PAS can get tricky if you are in the middle of tight low speed maneuvering. I either set PAS to 0 in those cases, or lightly hold a brake lever to keep the motor off. Once you get used to it, it is somewhat predicatable. I'm only nervous about it when a new rider tries out my bike.

I don't see how to fix this other than wiring in a steering angle sensor.
Limiting max power at PAS 1 should help without adding cost. Right now PAS 1 seemed half power and PAS 2 full power during acceleration. I wish it had 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 and full power at PAS 1-4

Back