Next Project: 2 Wheel Drive

Ccount

I bet you can't figure out my next project? While waiting for my derailleur to show up, I decided to pull the trigger on my "All Wheel Drive" Rad Runner (primarilly for beach and off road use). I bought a 1000w hub motor/rim and mounted a tube and tire, and mounted it to my Bolton front end on my RadRunner (which looks less and less like the original!). I transferred the brake disk over, and it all went into place nicely. This motor comes with controller, twist throttle, 2 brake handles and cables, a PAS sensor. No screen (none needed). I intend to mount the twist throttle on the left side inside the original brake lever. Yes, it will be backwards, but I do not anticipate using it a lot. Next I need to find out if the brakes and PA sensor must be hooked up (hopefully not, as I do not need them. I am debating using a single battery or 2, but need to look at maximum discharge rate of the stock battery to see it I can run 2 motors under high load with just 1 battery). I'll keep you in the loop as I progress! Of course, my derailleur and cables showed up today, so I am not overwhelmed with projects!

IMG_0467[1].JPG

So, you will control the motors with separate throttles? Or just use PAS on the rear and throttle on the front? Seems like two motors at different speeds could create some interesting handling characteristics.

I would be surprised if the stock battery can supply enough current for both motors at full honk but I think the Bolton power kits are 30-35 amps so maybe you'll be OK.

Yes, 2 throttles. Front would be on demand, no PAS (though it comes with one, which I will not connect) for extra oomph in soft sand, where the wheels can rotate at different speeds without too much issue. On pavement it may get interesting, as you state! The second front drive wheel will not interface with the Bikes main controller: It has one of it's own. I am only worried about drawing, say 2000+ watts at one time from the battery with both throttles (and respective motors) wide open! I may open the Rad battery pack or research the C rating of the batteries inside, and do a little math to see if it may work! I can't afford to cook the battery!

I like the Rad tires MUCH more than this replacement one, so if this works famously, I may exchange the tires for looks (and the stock ones have a bit more aggressive tread, for sand and off road.

Yes, 2 throttles. Front would be on demand, no PAS (though it comes with one, which I will not connect) for extra oomph in soft sand, where the wheels can rotate at different speeds without too much issue. On pavement it may get interesting, as you state! The second front drive wheel will not interface with the Bikes main controller: It has one of it's own. I am only worried about drawing, say 2000+ watts at one time from the battery with both throttles (and respective motors) wide open! I may open the Rad battery pack or research the C rating of the batteries inside, and do a little math to see if it may work! I can't afford to cook the battery!

I'm pretty sure my mom's RadMini had a 40a fuse on the discharge side, so that should give you some indication as to what the battery can do. Even if the individual cells can handle more, the BMS (and that fuse) may limit it.

Looks like a cool project. Keep us updated!

Great info my friend! I had not considered that approach to figuring this out!

I'm pretty sure my mom's RadMini had a 40a fuse on the discharge side, so that should give you some indication as to what the battery can do. Even if the individual cells can handle more, the BMS (and that fuse) may limit it.

Looks like a cool project. Keep us updated!

I got a few rides in with both motors working, and it works flawlessly! No fighting between motors or tires, and selective use of motors really helps in certain situations. About the only issue was front wheel spin-out a few times, but there is virtually no weight over the front wheel, so I guess that is to be expected. Way exceeds my expectations, but I did it more to see if I could (a bad habit of mine), and could not recommend it except for the fun of doing the project, and perhaps for some enhanced sand or mud riding, where it really shines!

Weird stuff like this moves the hobby forward. I love it. Although I'm a little envious because few of my own projects work the first try, and even fewer work better than expected.

Everything work ok on one battery?

I got a few rides in with both motors working, and it works flawlessly! No fighting between motors or tires, and selective use of motors really helps in certain situations. About the only issue was front wheel spin-out a few times, but there is virtually no weight over the front wheel, so I guess that is to be expected. Way exceeds my expectations, but I did it more to see if I could (a bad habit of mine), and could not recommend it except for the fun of doing the project, and perhaps for some enhanced sand or mud riding, where it really shines!

Does it have any of a faster top speed when you have both motors engaged?

The battery performed well. I did not push it for top speed, yet, as I want to be cautious. But at about 20 MPH for 1 minute, no overheating of the battery, or either controller or either motor. Weather has been lousy last few days, but I plan to tun it all out run on a flat smooth street, and see what happens with top speed.

Next step is to install the derailleur and cable, and exchange one brake lever for a combo brake lever/7 speed shifter I just received.

As a side note, I was out the other night, riding on the golf course (super fun). I am on the east coast of Florida, so we do not have much elevation change, but there are man made hills and valleys on the course. I have 3 very bright head lamps, but when you go up a hill, what is on the other side can be a surprise once you reach the crest. We have a fair amount of Alligators on the course (you can see their eyes at night in all of the lakes). Well, guess what appeared just over the top of one of those hills! About a 6' gator. Not really that big, relative to what is out there, but we scared each other equally, as we both scampered in opposite directions!

Central Floridian here, I know what you mean about the wildlife...its a literal jungle out there.

Back