newspeed

SPA007

Region
Canada
Hi, my wife & I (both early seniors) live in the country close to the Trans-Canada trails & we have been thinking about
purchasing a couple of e bikes & leaning more towards the folding style.. but not really liking the look. Also trying
to decide if, for a strictly recreational use do I really need 1000W, if not, what is minimum I should get 500W, 350W ?
Then we go to 48V vs 36V to... followed finally by 7.5AH up to 15AH. all this does leave us apprehensive about making
the wrong purchase for our needs, unlike a car there are no places locally offering test drives & we want to avoid any
unnecessary up sells. 1 company that caught my eye was NewSpeed, but I think I was drawn to them primarily by the
attractive pricing, also their NS-01 All-in-One does look more like a traditional adult bike. Finding reviews specific to
manufacturer/model proved very difficult ... top 5, top 10, worst 5 etc provided no clear insight as to good/bad/stay away
Another I found on Alibaba (have heard mixed site reviews) JI-MOVE 20inch Cargo Electric City Bicycle 750W Shimano
Bike Folding Fat. while similar in style to your "A" typical folding bike it does have a somewhat better look...

being new to this site, I am not sure if this was the correct place to post these types of question, Hopefully someone
is able to share their knowledge/experiences or concerns ... BIG THANKS in advance
share their knowledge/wisdom/experiences with us .. BIG THANKS in advance

Unless you have some sort of special needs due to your ability to transport your bikes, I would recommend you go with a conventional size bike (26"+).

Battery size to be determined by the length of your rides, and if you are planning on putting some effort into pedaling.

Motor size/type has a LOT of variables. Hills, your weight, and mid drive vs. gear driven rear hub will all play here.

I'm a big guy and ride in a lot of hills. I generally go for the largest motors available. My wife, who is in better shape and weighs less than half of what I do, can go anywhere I can on 500w power. Our bikes are equipped with 14-15a batteries. Because we are both experienced riders, I can get 30-35 miles on a charge pretty easily, and she can get way more.

I do all of my own work on my bikes, and for that reason insist on buying only bikes built only with over the counter parts. Being forced to take the bike to a dealer because they are the only one that can service/supply the part is a deal breaker here.

Last, wondering if you have looked at RAD bikes? They are incredibly popular and for that reason they hold their resale value the best, bar none. They are generally the easiest to sell if that ever comes up.

Welcome to the forum! As basic as they may be, you have indeed come to the right place to ask questions! You're asking quite a few in a single post though. You may get more answers if you make several posts limited to specific topics.

Here are a few thoughts:

I agree with AHicks above. Unless a folding bike is a necessity, I would look at larger 26"+ bikes. Although folding frame bikes do fit in the confined space of a trunk or hatchback, they are still heavy and can be awkward for seniors to lift & load. A hitch type rack adds a level of expense but it may well pay off in the long run.

I would also recommend a step thru frame. You may be able to mount a standard diamond frame bike now but consider the future. Joint or other health issues may make riding easier in the future. A throttle is also something to consider for the same reasons. E-bikes are expensive and you'll want to be able to enjoy them for as long as possible.

All bikes have weight limits. E-bikes make for longer outings which can mean carrying extra gear. Consider the rider weight as well as any gear you plan to carry.

If there are many hills where you plan to ride, a mid drive bike may be more suitable.

IMO, a 1000W motor may be overkill. Something closer to 500W might be more practical.

The watt hour capacity of a battery is what really matters. That's the voltage times its ampere hour rating. A good rule of thumb to calculate range is 15 watt hours per mile using moderate pedal effort on a smooth level surface. This will vary somewhat with bike & rider.

Unless you plan to do your own work, I strongly recommend buying through a local dealer. If you buy online, choose a brand with good customer service and one that will deal directly with you for parts and repair advice. E-bikes are more complicated and require more maintenance than their conventional counterparts.

Good luck with your search and don't be afraid to ask more questions!

If there are many hills where you plan to ride, a mid drive bike may be more suitable.
A popular myth. I ride 80 hills, some of 15% grade, in 30 miles with a $38 geared hub motor. I got ~ 5000 miles the first 8 speed chain. If you plan to climb the Rockies, gaining 1000' or more in an hour, mid drives are the only way to do it. Other terrain, Geared hubs are less expensive, fewer chain replacements, and sometimes less expensive non-patented non-computer equipped batteries. Bosch & Shimano batteries are $1000 up, and sometimes out of stock for months.
Torque sensing control is one feature of newer bikes including bosch & shimano mid-drives, that I would like. I've recently discovered surface 604 rook, which has a geared hub drive and torque sense. Also I believe a inexpensive reentron battery. https://electricbikereview.com/surface-604/rook/
You are allowed only a limited wattage in Canada, I believe 750. Read wikipedia about electric bike laws.
1000 watt hub drives are usually direct drive motor, which accelerates slowly and uses way too many watthours climbing slowly to be useful. Torque of DD hub drives is max at 90% of speed or up, which is about 35 kph or higher.
Note the bargain ebikes save money on things people don't care about, like grey metal spokes that need constant adjusting, and grey metal cables that also stretch easily and require frequent adjustment. Think those $200 bikes for sale in discount stores. Rad has had bouts of that, see the brand forum "known problems & solutions" which has >300 entries. Rad latest cost cutter, sharp spoke nipples that poke holes in the tubes. Rad has a proprietary battery that costs if you want a second one for range extension. Rad has great service, sending you one spoke every time you stretch one. Paying the shop $70 to install it and true the wheel more than once is your problem. One lady in Scotland had 3 spokes replaced with a free one from Rad over 3 months.
Read the known problems threads about any brand you consider. Top 5 for few complaints dealer supported bikes are trek, giant, gazelle, pedego, kona.
I don't suggest direct importing a bike from *****. Warrenty parts are iffy in that scenario. I also don't suggest 20" tires. Riding through a pot hole is painful at my age. 26" or bigger tires smooth the holes & bumps out. If you do like a cargo bike, Blix packa has 24" tires and 1 complaint on brand forum. https://electricbikereview.com/blix/packa-genie/
Other high q cargo bike with 20" wheels are tern HSD and GSD. Eunorau is pretty new, check brand forum. https://electricbikereview.com/eunorau/max-cargo/
Stretch frame cargo bikes may not fit crossways on the back of a car. I ride one, mainly because conventional MTB & cruiser bikes (3 of them) pitched me on my chin 5 times in 11 years. My bodaboda shown has not done that yet, possibly because my weight is on the front tire.
I don't suggest fat tires (4" up) unless you ride frequenly in powder snow or fluffy beach sand. Use a lot of watthours at normal speeds, limiting range.
Read the category forum below about folding bikes. I don't like the tiny wheels, we have potholes in my county. If I had to carry a folder on my back I'd buy a airnimal joey https://airnimal.co/products/joey/sport/#.YkR7vjwpBIc with 24" wheels and put a $23 geared hub motor https://www.batteryclearinghouse.com/ on it. I'd have to lace the motor myself, although they say the joey frame will take a 26" wheel. The bike I ride is a conversion of a $2000 yuba. Took $870 the first time but now I know cheaper sources of motors & batteries.

Last edited:
Where in Canada are you? I know in the Vancouver area there are quite a few shops that will let you take test drive.

Bruce

Attractive pricing is not the best way to judge an eBike. You get exactly what you pay for, low end components and more maintenance are a couple of the first issues with low end. The possibility of poor support also increases with the direct to consumer profile. Do your homework. You also need to evaluate your troubleshooting skills for electrical and mechanical components since you will be doing all that with no shop support.

Where in Canada are you? I know in the Vancouver area there are quite a few shops that will let you take test drive.

Bruce
We are just South of Barrie Ontario, but are wintering in Florida, thus thoughts on folding.

Ok sorry don't know what you have for bike shops out that way. If you are going to go a folding bike there are a few that I would look at that are from reliable Manufactures and available in Canada that use quality parts.

Volt Mariner
Biktrix The Kuffy
Rize Bolt X
Rad bikes have a few to choose from

I think you are better off buying local as in Canadian bike shop so if you have any problems it would be far easier to deal with. If you buy over seas and something should go wrong you could very well be looking at a head ache. If something does go wrong and they want you to ship the bike back to them, well that could end up costing more then what you paid for the bike.

The bikes I listed above are from reliable companies that build quality bikes and are not going to break the bank.

Good luck on your purchase, E-bikes are fun and I am sure you will have fun on which ever ones you decide to buy.

Bruce

We are just South of Barrie Ontario, but are wintering in Florida, thus thoughts on folding.
We're snowbirds, travel from the metro Detroit area to mid Florida Gulf coast twice a year. We dragged the bikes back and forth for a while, now have a pair on each end. Yup, hooked....

Ok sorry don't know what you have for bike shops out that way. If you are going to go a folding bike there are a few that I would look at that are from reliable Manufactures and available in Canada that use quality parts.

Volt Mariner
Biktrix The Kuffy
Rize Bolt X
Rad bikes have a few to choose from

I think you are better off buying local as in Canadian bike shop so if you have any problems it would be far easier to deal with. If you buy over seas and something should go wrong you could very well be looking at a head ache. If something does go wrong and they want you to ship the bike back to them, well that could end up costing more then what you paid for the bike.

The bikes I listed above are from reliable companies that build quality bikes and are not going to break the bank.

Good luck on your purchase, E-bikes are fun and I am sure you will have fun on which ever ones you decide to buy.

Bruce
VERY helpful - THANKS ! we have pre-registered for upcoming sales info on the Kutty

Ont and Mi are side-by-side. You just cross the bridge from east to west. When I go from Buffalo NY to Detroit I drive through Ontario. I am in the other CA, California. And I live by Windsor in the coastal wine country. We also have Ontario International Airport in CA which is funny. It is also funny to us that Ontario is Canada's wine country. Stay away from the fat folders if you can. Did you ever save money buying cheep razor blades? How did that workout? In my opinion, getting a cheep bike is something I just cannot afford. It is too expensive.
1648679162147.png
1648679255667.jpeg
1648679284527.jpeg

Last edited:
Back