Newbie to EBikes - Bought a Giant Quick-E + 2018 from Canada

Gazza1977

Hi There,

Newbie to EBikes - Bought a Giant Quick-E + 2018 from Canada.

Importing bike from Canada to South Africa Cape Town, should get my Giant EBike in the next 2 weeks, can't wait.

Reason for buying bike: to commute to work, only 40km return distance. There are no showers at the office and I am a big sweater so my only option was an EBike. Plan is to pedal manual mode home to get some excercise in and strengthen legs.

Reason for importing bike to South Africa: No stock in South Africa and they were not prepared to order me one with an XL frame. They tried to sell me a Giant Road-E but at R65 000 is a lot more expensive then the Giant Quick-E of R40 000.

Managed to get a discount in Toronto Canada for my Giant Quick-E , $3300 Canadian Dollars to $2500, but with air freight and import Vat to South Africa will still pay my budget amount of R40 000.

I have borrowed money to buy the Ebike but my monthly petrol savings will be used to pay bike off over 3 years. If I get any extra cash via bonuses etc will pay off sooner to reduce interest on loan.

Should receive my Giant Quick-E 2018 in the next week, can't wait.

Kind Regards,

Gary Laue
Cape Town, South Africa

Hi Gary, you have a nice bike there, and welcome to the ebike fraternity. We have a connection, I'm from Canada and your bike is from Canada:)

My wife and I bought ebikes this year, and sold one of our vehicles. The savings from not having that car payment have already paid off more than one-half of our investment. Not to mention much reduced fuel expense, since around-town driving is the most expensive. Not to mention reduced insurance. Not to mention improved health and fitness, having an activity that we enjoy together so much, and the joy that ebiking has brought into our lives.

Hi Gary, you have a nice bike there, and welcome to the ebike fraternity. We have a connection, I'm from Canada and your bike is from Canada:)
Cheers Feliz, and my brother emigrated from South Africa to Canada and now stays in Toronto.
My wife and I bought ebikes this year, and sold one of our vehicles. The savings from not having that car payment have already paid off more than one-half of our investment. Not to mention much reduced fuel expense, since around-town driving is the most expensive. Not to mention reduced insurance. Not to mention improved health and fitness, having an activity that we enjoy together so much, and the joy that ebiking has brought into our lives.

Hi Bruce, agree with you and makes sense. My wife will also use my Giant Ebike on rides when we take our son on the manual merida bike that has a baby seat so added benefits there with family time, we may in future get a second ebike but small steps. With fuel and car prices constantly on the increase and with the number of new houses being built in our area, the traffic from home into Cape Town will get worse off, we are fortunate that we have a dedicated bicycle lane all the way into the City so all good. Thanks, Gary

Bruce, which model EBikes did you buy and why?

I have the Juiced Bikes Crosscurrent S and Bonnie has a Pedego City Commuter. Both of us felt that the style of bike suited our riding style, and that it was a good value for the dollar.

Gary ...
Welcome to the EBR Forum. I am sure that all of us are looking forward to hearing about your ebike adventures and, especially, seeing photos taken on your rides during 2019.
... David

T
Gary ...
Welcome to the EBR Forum. I am sure that all of us are looking forward to hearing about your ebike adventures and, especially, seeing photos taken on your rides during 2019.
... David
Thanks David will share photos and trips of my Ebike adventures in Cape Town.

Congrats on your purchase. I just purchased my first ebike after much research. My miles have fallen off in recent years. I hope to reverse that trend and get back to commuting again.
Good stuff, the fresh air and being out in nature also relieves stress, even if using 100% Ebike, but if you mix it with some pedalling then even better, I am an excercise junkie and doing running as a hobbies, has anyone heard of the Comrades Marathon, 90km Ultra Marathon, done 19 of these consecutively. Also done many Triathlons and Mountain bike rides.

Back