Newbie , misc questions on Stunner

Jbiker1

Region
USA
I'm trying to choose my first bike. Stunner is a leading contender now, but a little pricey for my budget, $2500. I am 69 yrs old, 255 lbs,6 ft and change. I live in Ga, some hills. Most of my riding will be road, pavement, a little gravel,occasional easy trail. No experience with ebikes. My mechanical skills are not great.

Some redundant information in my posts, but easier to me to read relevant information in one place.

Looks like I need to upgrade battery regardless, probably 17A to keep the price down.

Will the LT do the job? I know the X has more torque. From what I have read, mid drive harder on drive train, more maintenance. Hub sounds easier to be ride. X gets pricey fast adding anything.

Mid or Hub drive, which has less problems, maintenance generally?

I had planned to go with 3 in. tires, not a option on Stunner. Other bikes have this option. Help range, maybe slightly faster,handle better.

Drive trains :
X Step thru - sturmey internally geared hub, 5 speed.
How does this hold up with mid drive?
Standard X - 7 speed.
I'm guessing 7 speed more flexible ,5 speed easier maintenance. Other difference, advantages of either.

LT - 8 speed.

Any other big guys riding either version of the Stunner? How is your range, what battery do you have, type of riding?

Availability, and how soon to get the bike a factor also.

Hoping for a bike that I can get some exercise with, but also be able to cover some ground around traffic, or distance when needed.. Also help me on hills, some hip and knee issues.

Customer support very important to me, from what I have read Biktrix does well there.

Thks, I'm getting close to a decision I hope. Read lots of ebike reviews ,specs, forums,watching videos.

@Jbiker1
I can see you’ve done some research - either the Stunner X or the Stunner LT would be a good fit for the type of riding you’re planning on doing. Both models are currently in stock. If you’re planning on completing your purchase in the near future, the 48V 17.5Ah battery will be your least expensive option. We also have a 48V 21.5Ah available for the Stunner X and Stunner LT, as well as a 52V 17.5Ah both bikes. Their range will of course vary depending on rider weight, riding conditions, etc., but generally speaking, the range is as follows (under standard conditions):
48V 14.5Ah: 30+ miles
48V 17.5Ah: 40+miles
48V 21.5Ah: 45+ miles
52V 17.5Ah: 45+ miles, ~10% more power than 48V 21.5Ah

In terms of maintenance, hub drives typically have fewer issues. That being said, if you do end up having an issue, they can be more difficult to repair because they are more difficult to access. We also offer a 1-year warranty on all our electronic and motor components. Based on the type of riding you anticipate you’ll be doing, the hub-drive on the LT will absolutely do the job - it’s great for commuting and mostly flat riding. The mid-drive offers the biggest advantage when you’re doing hills and technical riding, as it offers more even weight distribution and is a bit more maneuverable. If you’re not planning on doing too many hilly trails, you’d be fine with either. As for tires, we don’t have any 3”s available on the large frames right now, which you’d probably need. However, you can always purchase 3” tires/wheels aftermarket if that’s the size you really want - they don’t have to come from us. You said you have some knee and hip issues. This makes me think that the Stunner X may be a better fit for you because it uses a cadence sensor vs. the cadence + torque sensor on the LT. I’m suggesting the cadence sensor because if you ever need some help getting up hills, the cadence sensor will assist you without you having to put as much pressure on the pedals, therefore reducing the risk of aggravating any existing issues. Finally, we pride ourselves on customer service and will make sure you always feel comfortable on your bike. We have many experts on our team, from tech support to maintenance, to post-purchase support. We would love to further assist you with finding your perfect bike!

A couple more Stunner X related questions. The area where I would be doing the majority of my riding on 2 lane, 45 mph roads, busy at times,no bike lanes. Getting across intersections with a heavier rider and pulling into the road it looks like the Stunner X might not be as good as the LT in some cases? Especially if I get half way across a intersection and have to shift gears. I won't know this till I ride the bike, gears, Pas levels. My plan was to use the throttle in these instances. till I get going.. Speed limited by gear on X. On one of the reviews,I noticed Pas 1, 1st gear ..approx 5 mph. Obviously higher Pas level is faster. Also have to worry about drive train strain with wrong combo of gear and Pas level with X.
Never ridden a ebike before, plan to rent one before long. My local dealer has maybe 350w. Maybe a 500w tops.

2nd question. 2 parts. I assume the 26 in. Works best for me,with height and inseam? Either low step, Or step through.
I assume 26x3 tires would work on these rims Later on ?

A couple more Stunner X related questions. The area where I would be doing the majority of my riding on 2 lane, 45 mph roads, busy at times,no bike lanes. Getting across intersections with a heavier rider and pulling into the road it looks like the Stunner X might not be as good as the LT in some cases? Especially if I get half way across a intersection and have to shift gears. I won't know this till I ride the bike, gears, Pas levels. My plan was to use the throttle in these instances. till I get going.. Speed limited by gear on X. On one of the reviews,I noticed Pas 1, 1st gear ..approx 5 mph. Obviously higher Pas level is faster. Also have to worry about drive train strain with wrong combo of gear and Pas level with X.
Never ridden a ebike before, plan to rent one before long. My local dealer has maybe 350w. Maybe a 500w tops.

2nd question. 2 parts. I assume the 26 in. Works best for me,with height and inseam? Either low step, Or step through.
I assume 26x3 tires would work on these rims Later on ?
For a beginner ebike rider, yes, the hub motor on the LT would be easier to use especially if you're not used to shifting gears that much. If you don't have a lot of hills, definitely the LT over the X.

At 6ft tall, yes, definitely the 26". You can swap for 3" tires later, yes.

I rode a .otorcycle for years so changing gears once I am used to the bike wouldn't be a problem. Just concerned getting into traffic with throttle limitation till I hot used to the bike. But I will have to get usr to any bike..
Thks,

I rode a .otorcycle for years so changing gears once I am used to the bike wouldn't be a problem. Just concerned getting into traffic with throttle limitation till I hot used to the bike. But I will have to get usr to any bike..
Thks,
Then you may be just over thinking it.. You'll get used to it in a few mins once you get it!

Another bike I've looked at 750 w mid drive juggernaut step thru. That would give me cadence with mid drive..With same battery on all 3, 17ah. Price wise its between the 2 stunners. All these are on the high end of my price range. A possible $900 replacement battery every 2 to 4 yrs .,pricey.
Not much difference as far as weight, range,or top speed ? Both mid drives higher drive train maintenance. Jug would give me the 27.5x3 option also. A little taller also, I assume.

A ignorant question regarding Stunner X.
A 2019 reviews shows a 7 speed. Is this still the case? I have saw references to a Sturmey Archer IGH 5 speed ? If it has IGH ,does this work without motor power? As my question shows. I don't know beans about IGH. What does the current bike have? 7 speed would be good getting home with a dead battery. Sometimes conflicting info between webb site, Reviews and forums confusing. Webb site should be the best source. A example of confusion is info on cadence vs torque sensing on Stunner LT. I know it's torque.

Looking at Bolton Stunner reviews. Comparison of 3, all with mid drive.
A Stunner X step thru is shown with 7 speed. The other two bikes have the IGH 5 speed. How difficult is IGH hub to ride with no power?

Looking at Bolton Stunner reviews. Comparison of 3, all with mid drive.
A Stunner X step thru is shown with 7 speed. The other two bikes have the IGH 5 speed. How difficult is IGH hub to ride with no power?
IGH are great if you don't have too many hills and if you'd like to shift in standstill.

Back