Newbie here in Southern Florida

DavidinFL

Hi...I'm in the Clearwater Florida area and have been researching ebikes for awhile.
Actually purchased two Pace 500's for my wife and I and can't wait until we get them - should be shipping end of this month as they were out of stock.
Yea...they are on the lower end but like the fact that they design and make their own frames and very responsive to both phone and email.
Never been on an ebike yet so the both of us are very excited to try this out :)

Hi...I'm in the Clearwater Florida area and have been researching ebikes for awhile.
Actually purchased two Pace 500's for my wife and I and can't wait until we get them - should be shipping end of this month as they were out of stock.
Yea...they are on the lower end but like the fact that they design and make their own frames and very responsive to both phone and email.
Never been on an ebike yet so the both of us are very excited to try this out :)

Welcome David, I also live in Clearwater and am an avid eBiker for the past couple years.

Many great rides to you and your wife. Looking forward to a photo of the new bikes.

Thanks all and definitely, will do! Also gotta shout-out to the EBR forum, the amount of reviews and 1st hand accounts of the various makers and models was a big help in our decision on the Pace. I'll provide updates once we get our new ebikes

Hi Pal,

I would really be grateful if you would be more specific as to what really motivated you to purchase this specific bike for yourself and your wife.
I am in this dreadful process myself. And, it's not an easy decision. The number of bikes in the field are endless. And, trying to find the right bike and then trying to find a company with staff qualified and knowledgeable in selling seems more of a problem than I had anticipated.

I guess you are in Florida, I am in the islands. Is this bike you purchase in Florida? I understand, there are a number of bike companies in Florida. I haven't been able to find them all, but it's what I have been told.

Yes, share as much as you wish...you're probably younger than my wife and myself, but damn...eager to know what you have done to be successful.

Norwin

Sure....I'll give you my .02

I've been riding motorcycles for over 30 years so my first priority was to get one with a decent top speed (but still legal in the US) so 28mph with a throttle.
Yes, there are TONS of different ebike companies popping up all the time. I was focusing on the more popular ones (RAD, Volt, Biktrix, Ride1up, Luna, izipelectric) that I read from this forum and Aventon was mentioned.
Budget wise, wasn't looking to spend a lot on our 1st ebikes (under 2k per bike) but from the reviews, knew I wanted hydraulic brakes(better for higher speeds, seems to be less maintenance), rear hub (less maintenance to the drive train - chain, sprockets) , suspension wasn't really needed (more maintenance as well) so that helped narrow down the field.
So on to Aventon, I first emailed them and they were very responsive to any/all questions I asked. Was initially looking at converting our existing bikes but read and saw numerous horror stories of frames, forks braking and going 20+ mph I wanted something that was designed for those speeds. Found out talking to Justin and Luis at Aventon that they design and make their own frames and forks, specifically for ebikes. Not knocking the Chinese ebikes that a lot of these companies are rebranding as Aventon also uses those components. Just liked the vibe of Aventon, very responsive to my inquiries, and the Pace 500 really has decent components for the price. Checked all my boxes...

I have never ridden or see one in person as they are in California, not aware of any local bike shops that carry them so it was a sight unseen purchase.

Hope that may help in some way. My recommendation is determine what you really need out of an ebike and it may help you narrow down the choices as I have done.

David

Sure....I'll give you my .02

I've been riding motorcycles for over 30 years so my first priority was to get one with a decent top speed (but still legal in the US) so 28mph with a throttle.
Yes, there are TONS of different ebike companies popping up all the time. I was focusing on the more popular ones (RAD, Volt, Biktrix, Ride1up, Luna, izipelectric) that I read from this forum and Aventon was mentioned.
Budget wise, wasn't looking to spend a lot on our 1st ebikes (under 2k per bike) but from the reviews, knew I wanted hydraulic brakes(better for higher speeds, seems to be less maintenance), rear hub (less maintenance to the drive train - chain, sprockets) , suspension wasn't really needed (more maintenance as well) so that helped narrow down the field.
So on to Aventon, I first emailed them and they were very responsive to any/all questions I asked. Was initially looking at converting our existing bikes but read and saw numerous horror stories of frames, forks braking and going 20+ mph I wanted something that was designed for those speeds. Found out talking to Justin and Luis at Aventon that they design and make their own frames and forks, specifically for ebikes. Not knocking the Chinese ebikes that a lot of these companies are rebranding as Aventon also uses those components. Just liked the vibe of Aventon, very responsive to my inquiries, and the Pace 500 really has decent components for the price. Checked all my boxes...

I have never ridden or see one in person as they are in California, not aware of any local bike shops that carry them so it was a sight unseen purchase.

Hope that may help in some way. My recommendation is determine what you really need out of an ebike and it may help you narrow down the choices as I have done.

David

Hi David,

Many thanks for your quick and detailed reply.

Indeed, much of what you wrote resonated with me, except I am an old buzzard and our wish for a bike isn't speed nor mountains. We simply want dependability, comfort and as maintenance free as possible. I am an old bicycle rider, long range bicycling. Daily riding. However, I've not now been on a bike for thirty plus years.

Suddenly, a couple weeks ago, I heard of the existence of electric bikes and the knock on, came strong. I wanted one too. And, then talked the Mrs. into one, as well.

We are from outside the USA and was ready to purchase but don't wish to pay Florida sales tax as the bikes are going to be shipped to us FOR EXPORT ONLY - however, the Florida seven percent sales taxes really add to the end cost, as we have approx a total of thirty percent of costs, including import duty, shipping, handling, freight ... ADDED onto whatever becomes our full and total purchase price.

Yes, I have tried to get the lady at the company to understand this ...but, it's so far been useless.

It is a Florida based bike company and I would have thought they'd have more international shipping experience....but, it doesn't seem so. Nonetheless, I like the bike, they have it in red and the Mrs. really wants a red bike. So, that leaves us still wandering, in the desert, and not needing to make an immediate decision, but tiz one that shall be made as soon as we can feel comfortable with the price.

Thus, thank you for all you shared though not the exact same as ourselves was MOST welcomed information.

Bless'

My best,

Norwin

Back