Newbie, have a tire help question.

Glendy

Region
USA
Choices are 2.3 or 4 inch tires. Would it be a wrong choice to pick the 4 inch tire if 99% of my use was street use? Are aftermarket street tires for 4 inch tires even an option to purchase.
Thanks, appreciate any input. Terry

I made the mistake of ordering a bike with 4" tires for street use last October. While some like them (because of the way they look?), I did not, even after changing the knobby tires out for street tread. I think the only way to justify the bulky feel and extra rolling resistance of the 4" is frequent use in deep beach sand or snow. If you aren't riding that frequently, you can do MUCH better with smaller tires for use on pavement.

I'm now in the process of converting the bike to 27.5 x 2.8 Schwalbe Moto X tires (and it's a very expensive change). Some call it a 27.5+ setup. WAY less rolling resistance, very little lost in the way of a good ride, and MUCH better handling.

I had a fat tire bike, hated it in the city. Sounds and steers like a truck. I have 2.4" standard tread tires on my eMtb and it's great.

:) Odd fellow here too. Being old let's you get away with a fair share of that pretty easily.

There's no right or wrong answer here. Just a set of 'druthers. I shared mine with an explanation on why I felt the way I do. Everyone welcome to agree or disagree. -Al

I made the mistake of ordering a bike with 4" tires for street use last October. While some like them (because of the way they look?), I did not, even after changing the knobby tires out for street tread. I think the only way to justify the bulky feel and extra rolling resistance of the 4" is frequent use in deep beach sand or snow. If you aren't riding that frequently, you can do MUCH better with smaller tires for use on pavement.

I'm now in the process of converting the bike to 27.5 x 2.8 Schwalbe Moto X tires (and it's a very expensive change). Some call it a 27.5+ setup. WAY less rolling resistance, very little lost in the way of a good ride, and MUCH better handling.
Thank you so much, you just confirmed what I assumed. I will consider the 27.5X2.3 tire bike. It fits in my spending budget also. Also, below it's mention "love my 2.4 tires" again thanks.

Great question. I just bought 2021 Rize Leisure and they have 4" tires. Can they be switched out to smaller tires like these?
I don't understand how you could do this.. are you changing the rim as well? If so, sounds like a very big job to switch the motor over to the new rim?
Honestly don't know what I am talking about here :)

Actually, if I could somehow get 24" x 4" rim/tire on there that would save me thousands because the bike is too big for the wife. Is that doable?

Last edited:
Back