Newbie from Western PA

prof_fate

I've loved riding bikes since I was a kid with a 'banana seat bike' in the 60s, and moved up to an 'english racer' as we called the bikes with gears.
I commuted for 3 or 4 years in HS to work on an old sears 10 speed, and rode it a lot.

Then I got a car...and then a motorcycle..and the bikes went away. Bought a Schwinn MTB in the early 90s (still have it - it's what will be electrified), thought it was the cat's meow with 21 speeds!

Got married, had kids, taught them to ride and rode more often but on rails to trails which were 'new' to me. We're' in the late 2000's at this point.

I picked up a recumbent and it's great on trails, but i don't feel comfortable on the streets with it.

I got busy with my own business, then businesses, so haven't ridden much the past 3 or 4 years. Also, there are no trails in my county - so to hit a trail is 30-45 minute drive each way. Being in western pennsylvania and in my late 50s now, hills are everywhere and well, I never did like riding up hills. Being 230lbs doesn't help either.

I was aware of e-bikes, but never saw one or knew an owner. Then a friend bought a Tesla...then more did. I want a tesla! Alas, I'm paying on a tractor for another 4 years so it will have to wait.

I've thought about converting a car to electric - what, $4-8k if you want any real range.

Then I saw elec bike kits on amazon...wait a minute, THIS I can do!

So ordered a rear hub kit, 1000w, voilamart from ebay. Under $200.

Still debating what battery or if I want to build one. Have to get this dealt with ASAP or I'll have a cool ride I can't ride!

BTW, my businesses are photography and DJ, as well as some farming.

Back