New Xpremium in my garage

opimax

Region
USA
City
Atlanta
I unboxed , charged batteries, pumped up tires to max of 20lbs, adjusted handlebars, brake levers. I added a bell. I installed 1 mirror, phone holder, the almost fits panniers and tried to adjust the front fender. I waxed the paint….hoping it is warm enough to at least ride in the neighborhood to test

Looks pretty good , arrived in a non abused box. Couple of specs of paint sticking up , being pretty picky on this observation. Every bolt I did check was tight …it is longer end of wheel to end of wheel then almost all my other bikes when unfolded and heavier. I have not put it in the Genesis to see if I can get 2 in it at one time, real test.

I got out in the neighborhood for a 3 minute ride. Seems comfy, think it will be fine when all is done. I found 2 issues so far…it doesn’t shift quite right and couldn’t get in to 7th gear the lowest gear. I also heard a rubbing noise and on 1st go through I don’t see anything rubbing, hoping it is the rear brake.

Does Lectrict reimburse for me going to the shop or do they think I can adjust the gears ? I never have before so most likely headed to local shop either way

I got out in the neighborhood for a 3 minute ride. Seems comfy, think it will be fine when all is done. I found 2 issues so far…it doesn’t shift quite right and couldn’t get in to 7th gear the lowest gear. I also heard a rubbing noise and on 1st go through I don’t see anything rubbing, hoping it is the rear brake.

Does Lectrict reimburse for me going to the shop or do they think I can adjust the gears ? I never have before so most likely headed to local shop either way
I got my xpremium in July and I had to take it to the local bike shop to get the shifter adjusted. I also recommend increasing the tire pressure. It says 20psi on the tire but it can go up higher. Having it at 20 it will ride super smooth but not that quick. The bike does great for really long rides (25+ miles) and I'm over 700 miles. I just replaced the chain as it was stretching. It was a pain because Lectric doesn't sell a replacement and the link # is custom (126 link). It also seems like the derailleur might need to be replaced soon

Check the derailleur, sometimes they come bent...

I wouldn’t know a bent derailure from a bent spoke stick so off to the LBS. also if the derailure needs replacing can it be replaced with an upgraded version?

I wouldn’t know a bent derailure from a bent spoke stick so off to the LBS. also if the derailure needs replacing can it be replaced with an upgraded version?
It's actually the derailleur guard. If it is bent in towards the wheel, all you need to do is get a hammer or large screw driver and bend it back out...

Attachments

• deraileruer guard.jpg
    deraileruer guard.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 180
It's actually the derailleur guard. If it is bent in towards the wheel, all you need to do is get a hammer or large screw driver and bend it back out...
With a little effort it can also be bent out by hand. I didn't have any tools handy at the time and I was able to bend mine out that way. I just braced my feet against the frame and pulled the guard until it bent out enough to let the derailleur shift to 7th gear.

Took the bike to the shop to get the derailure adjusted and deal with the scrapping noise. While I waited he adjust the derailure and allingned the brakes both improvements (meaning it was rubbing and now shifts to all gears ) but still a noise is there . He couldn’t see anything and I couldn’t either so I left the bike . Too cold to even test ride and tomorrow I hope to be cleared by a neurologist to really start full time riding again. He said he would remove the wheel and figure it out.

I said earlier it is large a bike. When I brought it to the shop I thought I could just put in my van, strap it in and go. The handlebars when up even at the lowest setting are too tall to just run the bike in to the van. my Trek and Specialized large version both go right in…big bike but folds and has smaller tires…

Last edited:
I got my xpremium in July and I had to take it to the local bike shop to get the shifter adjusted. I also recommend increasing the tire pressure. It says 20psi on the tire but it can go up higher. Having it at 20 it will ride super smooth but not that quick. The bike does great for really long rides (25+ miles) and I'm over 700 miles. I just replaced the chain as it was stretching. It was a pain because Lectric doesn't sell a replacement and the link # is custom (126 link). It also seems like the derailleur might need to be replaced soon
One downside of mid drive eBikes...there is more stress (torque) on the chain than any human can induce...so replacing chains (and other drive train components) is a fact of life. These mid drive motors put out a lot of torque and chains are still being manufactured as they were before eBikes were around...so something has gotta give. As a comparison, I put over 3000 miles on my hub drive eBike and it still looks good (there is virtually NO stress on the chain...in fact hub drive motors can function without any chain if need be). Just something to ponder for those thinking about a mid drive. You have to ask...is that extra torque to climb hills for example worth the extra maintenance cost?

One downside of mid drive eBikes...there is more stress (torque) on the chain than any human can induce...so replacing chains (and other drive train components) is a fact of life. These mid drive motors put out a lot of torque and chains are still being manufactured as they were before eBikes were around...so something has gotta give. As a comparison, I put over 3000 miles on my hub drive eBike and it still looks good (there is virtually NO stress on the chain...in fact hub drive motors can function without any chain if need be). Just something to ponder for those thinking about a mid drive. You have to ask...is that extra torque to climb hills for example worth the extra maintenance cost?
Poor shifting technique is usually responsible for destroying chains. I have $10 non ebike chains on 350W and 500W mud drives with thousands of miles. I did replace the uber cheap bottom of the line rear derailleur, after 4 years. Added costs don’t have to be unbearable. For some a GearSensor has mitigated the issues as well. On my 36V 350W i can move through the gears one at a time at appropriate speeds and never bother to kill the motor rotation. All technique.

I purchased a Haibike with Bosh mid-drive nine years ago, and I have been impressed with its durability. The chain has not required replacement despite over 1000 miles of use. However, I have noticed that standard bike components are not well-suited to handle the high levels of force that mid-drives generate, leading to frequent adjustments and things wearing out fast. But for under $2000 who cares, just buy another and sell your old one. Price is a powerful thing. Surprisingly, my go-to bike these days is a Lectric Lite, which lacks gears and so I don't have to worry about dropped chains and adjustments ever which is nice. I have invested, spent more like it, on a second battery and all available upgrades, and I absolutely adore this bike. Sometimes simple is better. Given I tend to keep bikes forever, I look at lifetime effort these days. It is sort of weird going from 5,000 dollar bikes to sub 1000 and getting almost the same level of enjoyment. Maybe it's that I'm getting older, idk.

Back