New to E-Bikes

Lulu

Hi all, new to the forum, age 64, and looking to purchase my first e-bike. I am fit, 165 pounds. Considering a Trek Verve+ as I loved it when I test rode. So many options out there! I didn't even know there were classes of e-bikes until this week! So much to learn. Thinking about commuting a day or two per week, about 30 miles round trip. Reading these forums has me all riled up to make a decision soon! Figuring out the local bike trails as I want to stay off the streets as much as possible.

Wonderful! It's great to go and see and try different bikes. There's no one best bike--it's about what you love! Having local service and buying a product that will be supported by its manufacturer are quite important also, as things like batteries will need to be replaced.

The Verve+ is Class 1 (so no throttle). I wanted a both pedal assist and a throttle (Class 2) because having to stop while faced uphill is a common occurrence where I live, and the throttle is a very big help in such a situation, also for getting through uphill intersections while the light is still green!

Happy shopping!

I am also going to test ride the Magnum Peak. I also tested a couple of Specialized e-bikes. Meh. I considered a Juiced CCS...but I cannot ride it before I buy, and I think the test ride is essential (even though the Juiced price is attractive).

Hi all, new to the forum, age 64, and looking to purchase my first e-bike. I am fit, 165 pounds. Considering a Trek Verve+ as I loved it when I test rode. So many options out there! I didn't even know there were classes of e-bikes until this week! So much to learn. Thinking about commuting a day or two per week, about 30 miles round trip. Reading these forums has me all riled up to make a decision soon! Figuring out the local bike trails as I want to stay off the streets as much as possible.
Hi! Central Pa. Mountains here.
Age 72 and bought a 2018 Verve + Step Through after a winter of research. There are just too few options back where I live to spend thousands on a sophisticated product shipped over three thousand miles. It came down to a Giant or a Trek, both local dealers.
I LOVE my bike!! It does everything and more than I want it to do. Since it has no throttle, it is allowed everywhere a regular bike goes - not many 'bike only'places here.
On Monday I was filmed and interviewed for the 'YMCA' annual fund campaign biking to my daily exercise.
I also had two brain surgeries, renal failure causing septic shock, six weeks of radiation and a back beat up by rugby and football injuries so i thought my biking days were done but I feel like a new chapter has opened up!
I hope you get half the enjoyment and conditioning my Verve+ has given me! Good luck.

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your encouragement! I have been off and on regarding a throttle - where I will ride is mostly flat, and not sure I'd use it much. I had another Trek hybrid that I really liked. So...I think the decision is made. I am going to try to test ride a Magnum this week. We shall see! Glad you're all patched up!

Hello and Welcome

It's a great feeling to explore mobility somewhere between walking and driving a car. If you have not already, I encourage you to rent an ebike and spend a few hours riding. It really helped me with my decision making process. Have Fun =D

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your encouragement! I have been off and on regarding a throttle - where I will ride is mostly flat, and not sure I'd use it much. I had another Trek hybrid that I really liked. So...I think the decision is made. I am going to try to test ride a Magnum this week. We shall see! Glad you're all patched up!

Howdy, If I may, which Trek Hybrid did you like. I have a Trek XM 700+ which could be referred to as a Hybrid.
Thanks

John from CT

Back