New Ripcurrent S owner - cool bike, frustrating support

okcomputer

Well, as the title says, I bought a Ripcurrent S. I've ridden it less than 5 miles, but man it's a fun bike. This is my second e-bike... I have a Radwagon as well, but I use it pretty much exclusively for riding with the kids on the back. I've logged about 700 miles on the wagon, but now that winter is here I am not riding too much with the kids... I wanted a fun bike just for myself, so I went with the Ripcurrent. It wasn't anything against Rad really (although that consumer experience wasn't a perfect score either). I just liked the overall bike offering from Juiced better.

The bike arrived via Fedex with a gigantic gash on one end of the box, the end where the rear of the bike was. No fault of Juiced I know. When I saw the gash, I thought there is no way this bike didn't take damage. This gash was so large you could just look directly in to the box and see tire. I unboxed it anyway and there was zero damage. Unbelievable! I got everything out of the box and inspected the bike closely--didn't find a single blemish... the bike was literally flawless. As I began the assembly, I realized the front fender was missing. Bummer. I opened a ticket.

So then I unboxed the rear rack. It was clearly a used item. It was covered in dust and there were several deep gashes in various places on the rack, exposing the metal. You could even see where someone had moved the hardware around and tried different positions before settling on their chosen mounting point. Not cool. Just to confirm the rack would mount properly, I went ahead and positioned it at the back of the bike and, starting on the right side rear stay, I pushed the included M5 allen bolt threw the stay and in to the mounting point on the frame. The entire bolt just slipped right in the hole and bottomed out when the head of the bolt contacted the frame. I'm thinking dang that's weird. I went through the hardware, yep these are the M5 bolts. I took the same bolt and attempted to thread it on the left side of the frame mounting point. It threaded right in. I thought I must be losing my mind, let me just thread this on the right side real quick. Nope, it bottomed out without engaging a single thread. But! there were actually threads at least, so not all hope is lost. Turns out, the right side was actually threaded M6. SERIOUSLY?! Well now that's a new level of quality control failure. I've been around dozens of bikes over the years, I've never seen a mistake like that before. Again, at least it wasn't an unthreaded mount; that would have been terrible.

So after 2 days I hear back from Juiced on the original ticket regarding the missing fender. He's like alright no problem please confirm your shipping address and we'll ship one on over. As in, it sounded like that was going to happen lickety split. By the way, this was on 12/5. So... I confirm my address and I also make him aware of the used rack and the fact that the bike had unique threads right/left where you mount the rack. In response, they said something along the lines of "if you feel there is a manufacturing defect on the rear rack, we can send you another one". Hey, no. It isn't a "defect". It's a USED RACK. No apology from Juiced, instead they offered to send me a new rack because of a "manufacturers defect". Alright, whatever, yeah just send me a new rack as well please. On 12/6 they then ask for pictures of the rack, which I send promptly. Then on 12/9 they notify me via e-mail directly that they are sending out a new rack and tell me that I'll get an invoice in my e-mail.

On 12/11, I had heard nothing at all from Juiced in regards to these replacement parts so I e-mailed them and asked politely for tracking information on my replacement items. They replied back with "your order is being processed and you will receive tracking information once your order ships". This is 6 days after I opened the ticket. So on the 12/12 I ask what do they mean by "the order is being processed"? When will I receive my replacement items? They replied that day and said that the order had been processed and was out for shipping--a tracking # was provided. I also received a $50 Juiced gift card (lol). So on 12/18 I receive the shipment. Opened the box and a brand new rack was nicely packed--yay, a new rack! I fumbled through the packing paper, there's no front fender. Sigh. I e-mail them on 12/18 confirming I got the rack and letting them know the fender was missing. On 12/19 I receive a response... "Yes, the items are being shipped separately. We are experiencing shipping delays due to the holiday season". Uh, wait... first of all, the FENDER was the item that was first confirmed by support that they would replace. The rack was confirmed after. Second of all, regardless, if you are shipping these as two separate orders, why would you not tell me this back on 12/12. Why are you telling me this today lol. I've asked twice since then... when am I getting this fender? They respond with something robotic like "When the item ships, you will receive tracking information".

Anyway, the bike is cool and I've ridden it around briefly just to confirm it works and its a fun and great looking bike! But good Lord, this company needs to get their act together.

Well, as the title says, I bought a Ripcurrent S. I've ridden it less than 5 miles, but man it's a fun bike. This is my second e-bike... I have a Radwagon as well, but I use it pretty much exclusively for riding with the kids on the back. I've logged about 700 miles on the wagon, but now that winter is here I am not riding too much with the kids... I wanted a fun bike just for myself, so I went with the Ripcurrent. It wasn't anything against Rad really (although that consumer experience wasn't a perfect score either). I just liked the overall bike offering from Juiced better.

The bike arrived via Fedex with a gigantic gash on one end of the box, the end where the rear of the bike was. No fault of Juiced I know. When I saw the gash, I thought there is no way this bike didn't take damage. This gash was so large you could just look directly in to the box and see tire. I unboxed it anyway and there was zero damage. Unbelievable! I got everything out of the box and inspected the bike closely--didn't find a single blemish... the bike was literally flawless. As I began the assembly, I realized the front fender was missing. Bummer. I opened a ticket.

So then I unboxed the rear rack. It was clearly a used item. It was covered in dust and there were several deep gashes in various places on the rack, exposing the metal. You could even see where someone had moved the hardware around and tried different positions before settling on their chosen mounting point. Not cool. Just to confirm the rack would mount properly, I went ahead and positioned it at the back of the bike and, starting on the right side rear stay, I pushed the included M5 allen bolt threw the stay and in to the mounting point on the frame. The entire bolt just slipped right in the hole and bottomed out when the head of the bolt contacted the frame. I'm thinking dang that's weird. I went through the hardware, yep these are the M5 bolts. I took the same bolt and attempted to thread it on the left side of the frame mounting point. It threaded right in. I thought I must be losing my mind, let me just thread this on the right side real quick. Nope, it bottomed out without engaging a single thread. But! there were actually threads at least, so not all hope is lost. Turns out, the right side was actually threaded M6. SERIOUSLY?! Well now that's a new level of quality control failure. I've been around dozens of bikes over the years, I've never seen a mistake like that before. Again, at least it wasn't an unthreaded mount; that would have been terrible.

So after 2 days I hear back from Juiced on the original ticket regarding the missing fender. He's like alright no problem please confirm your shipping address and we'll ship one on over. As in, it sounded like that was going to happen lickety split. By the way, this was on 12/5. So... I confirm my address and I also make him aware of the used rack and the fact that the bike had unique threads right/left where you mount the rack. In response, they said something along the lines of "if you feel there is a manufacturing defect on the rear rack, we can send you another one". Hey, no. It isn't a "defect". It's a USED RACK. No apology from Juiced, instead they offered to send me a new rack because of a "manufacturers defect". Alright, whatever, yeah just send me a new rack as well please. On 12/6 they then ask for pictures of the rack, which I send promptly. Then on 12/9 they notify me via e-mail directly that they are sending out a new rack and tell me that I'll get an invoice in my e-mail.

On 12/11, I had heard nothing at all from Juiced in regards to these replacement parts so I e-mailed them and asked politely for tracking information on my replacement items. They replied back with "your order is being processed and you will receive tracking information once your order ships". This is 6 days after I opened the ticket. So on the 12/12 I ask what do they mean by "the order is being processed"? When will I receive my replacement items? They replied that day and said that the order had been processed and was out for shipping--a tracking # was provided. I also received a $50 Juiced gift card (lol). So on 12/18 I receive the shipment. Opened the box and a brand new rack was nicely packed--yay, a new rack! I fumbled through the packing paper, there's no front fender. Sigh. I e-mail them on 12/18 confirming I got the rack and letting them know the fender was missing. On 12/19 I receive a response... "Yes, the items are being shipped separately. We are experiencing shipping delays due to the holiday season". Uh, wait... first of all, the FENDER was the item that was first confirmed by support that they would replace. The rack was confirmed after. Second of all, regardless, if you are shipping these as two separate orders, why would you not tell me this back on 12/12. Why are you telling me this today lol. I've asked twice since then... when am I getting this fender? They respond with something robotic like "When the item ships, you will receive tracking information".

Anyway, the bike is cool and I've ridden it around briefly just to confirm it works and its a fun and great looking bike! But good Lord, this company needs to get their act together.
Support lmao... you got support... I told them I could have forged and built my own forts because it was taking them so long to ship it.. system problems bs.. put the forks in the box and ship...

I'm making no excuses for the missing fender and the rack, but I think it would be wise to temper expectations of a company like Juiced. And I say this as a Juiced bike owner. They'll get you sorted, but it's not going to be as fast as some giant company would. They sell at a pretty low price for the performance given, and maybe they run lean on support staff to facilitate that? It's historically taken about 2 weeks for me to receive shipments from them. I think your timeline is par for the course, especially at this time of year.

I think you're over reacting and going out of your way to complain. Mistakes happen and looks like Juiced made it right for you in the end and corrected their mistake. I placed an order for spare wheel spokes and some tektro ceramic brake pads on November 25th. I only received them yesterday and that's expected because of the time of the year, the incompetence of FEDEX and the size of Juiced compared to for example TREK. The major difference being JUICED offers much better value for the money spent than most e-bike companies and the consumer sure gets more for their money when it comes to juiced e-bikes.

Last edited:
A lot of people shop price and choose to buy from an on line only company. Not saying Juiced is good or bad, but they have to do something to meet the price point that people want to pay. Short staff is a great way to keep prices low. Did they have a Black Friday or Cyber Monday deal? That would put them into scramble mode to handle that.

I think you're over reacting and going out of your way to complain. Mistakes happen and looks like Juiced made it right for you in the end and corrected their mistake. I placed an order for spare wheel spokes and some tektro ceramic brake pads on November 25th. I only received them yesterday and that's expected because of the time of the year, the incompetence of FEDEX and the size of Juiced compared to for example TREK. The major difference being JUICED offers much better value for the money spent than most e-bike companies and the consumer sure gets more for their money when it comes to juiced e-bikes.
Yeah, I agree with this assessment. I understand Radiohead‘s frustration as I’d not be happy with the mistakes. I wonder if the issue isn’t that the rack was used but that there was some handling and mounting damage. The metal around my shifters are all scratched up, and I can’t even find the right hex bit to fit into it properly without stripping! It should be a 3mm or so, but whether metric or imperial, nothing works, so I had to improvise a bit and may need to replace the screws. My battery wasn’t mounted on the bike as it was promised to be, but rather loose in the box. So yeah, was my bike used? Who knows. Small stuff though, and in this case we are talking about a very cheap bike rack which keeps the costs down and most consumers are happy with. Keep in mind a German made rack, like Tubus, which a lot of cyclists use, would cost $200. Everything about this bike is going to be cheap, except the battery and motor.

But I’m glad you reported because they’ve done just about everything they were supposed to, to address your concerns. Shipping items separately isn’t a big surprise, but yes communication could have been better. Still, you and I chose to get the cheapest bike we could from a direct to consumer company who is trying to pass savings on to the consumer. Their team is very small and this is the busiest shopping season of the year, hands down. You should expect some delays in response and delivery times. Otherwise, you should have gone to your LBS and ordered one through them, like a Giant or Trek or Specialized. But then you’d be out another 2-3 grand. So do complain, but ‘terrible’ doesn’t seem to be a fair analysis. I am not saying they are good, but no less than mediocre based on your own descriptions of this particular matter. Quality control definitely needs some improvement.

I’m amazed that there wasn’t a separate shipping fee for my $2200, heavy bike that arrived at my front door. When you’re buying at the LBS, the price you’re paying includes professional assembly, which is probably money well spent, and most of them don’t bring the bike to my house.

All, thanks for the feedback. Yes, Akrotiri, I did go out of my way to complain. It sounds like my expectations must be out of line and this experience is par for the course. So there's a hidden cost to the consumer here... whether or not they are minor, well, that depends on the consumer's view. My personal perspective is that yeah, these are not major issues, but rather very annoying ones. I'll say no more other than I would have paid extra to avoid these inconveniences.

It is actually a good thing that you guys came here to defend Juiced. I've now lowered my expectation and I'm not as upset. I mean that sincerely... the response are helpful. Thanks!

Cheers, okcomputer. For the record, I feel no need to defend them as a Brand as there have been some disappointments overall, and I’m very new to them. But just commenting on your experience, which helped me see what to expect from Juiced. So thanks for posting. Unlike you, I really wasn’t in a financial position to get a Giant or Specialized, which I had looked at for a long time, with the much higher out the door price. Aside from the cost, what sold me was the fast that I could go faster, farther, with less energy on my part, on the Juiced CCX.

My main concern will be the reliability of this bike. If it goes to pot, and Juiced can’t give me solutions, they will feel my wrath. But I really hope that’s not the case. One if the issues I have with going through a major bike manufacturer is that you are really at the mercy of the quality of your local LBS, some of whom have a backlog in repairs, or may have little training servicing eBikes. At $2200, as opposed to $3500 for a weaker bike, I have some room for upgrades like the Shimano SPD pedals I got, bottle cages, saddle, pannier, among other things. I also saw some videos of people replacing the controller, or throttle, which shows me that I could handle repairs in the future, and Juiced has promised to carry parts for a time. Even a larger brand like Specialized doesn’t seem to do that well, forcing you to buy a new bike altogether.

Personally, I almost didn’t even want the stock rack which looked like free junk in the photos, and was planning on switching it out. But looking at it now, and considering this is just my commuter, I think it will work. If you saw my review earlier this week, my rear wheel is not true. If a bike company can’t make a wheel round, well, that’s almost disqualifying for me. I haven’t contacted them yet, because there’s really nothing they can do from afar, and so I may have to take it to the shop to get it adjusted. Thought about asking them to pay for it, but we’ll see.

Again, sorry for the headaches. I hope you keep posting. Since we got our bikes at the same time, it’ll be great to compare notes to see how they hold up. I’m doing about 19 miles round trip commute at least twice a week, and reliability is everything to me.

All, thanks for the feedback. Yes, Akrotiri, I did go out of my way to complain. It sounds like my expectations must be out of line and this experience is par for the course. So there's a hidden cost to the consumer here... whether or not they are minor, well, that depends on the consumer's view. My personal perspective is that yeah, these are not major issues, but rather very annoying ones. I'll say no more other than I would have paid extra to avoid these inconveniences.

It is actually a good thing that you guys came here to defend Juiced. I've now lowered my expectation and I'm not as upset. I mean that sincerely... the response are helpful. Thanks!
You should take a look at some of the threads of High priced bikes. Take for example the new Trek Allant 9.9 which costs $6,000 (which btw is slower and has less range than the fat-tire RCS). One EBR member has a thread going about how is integrated battery flew out of its housing while riding causing damage. Imagine how frustrated you would be if you spent more than 6k on your brand new e-bike and something as dangerous and astonishing as that happens.

My point is even the highest end bikes have very frustrating things happen that shouldn't. Juiced sells a lot of bikes for a small company but they do rather well when it comes to quality control but there are bound to be mishaps, mistakes, design flaws, etc that are not the consumers fault. At the end of the day they corrected the problem because you were not at fault and Juiced should be commended for honoring their warranties and being reasonable and honest when they are at fault for a problem which is good business practice.

Last edited:
Juiced Bikes is growing by leaps and bounds. Their customer service has always lagged behind their sales. They put on more service reps, then grow again, and service suffers once more. There are more quality assurance mistakes every time, too, like the OP's used rack.

So IMHO no one is to blame for feeling frustrated. But as many have pointed out, these mistake are likely to happen in any company on the leading edge of a not-yet-mature industry.

I remember a couple of years ago when shipping products and correcting mistakes took months instead of days or weeks, so Juiced did step up their game a lot. Still room for improvement, but credit where credit's due.

So they’re moving in the right direction, thanks for sharing your experience, Bruce.

With regard to flying batteries, that is pretty terrifying. My battery fits so tight there is absolutely no visual or auditory indication that it’s locked in. when I pull on it, it doesn’t come out, but that’s not the same as hitting a pothole at 30mph. And I’m not going to kick the battery every time to test it.

Sure thing, man. I will try to keep updating. Thanks for sharing your experience. I just mounted the new rack actually, and it mounted no problem. I find it pretty hilarious that the right side was threaded M6 versus the M5 left. For my purpose, this rack will be just fine. I'm fairly handy around bikes and stuff in general, but not a wizard by any means. I should be able to handle any maintenance issues that come up, but I just hope that I don't have to deal with out of the ordinary maintenance in the first place. I don't want to be down for months because of delays getting parts, but I guess I should have realized that is a definite possibility. My local bike shop is an REI... the other shops are all 30 minutes away. They'll work on e-bikes, but as you say there's generally a backlog there and the mechanics are a mixed bag; some are great and some not so much. As you say, reliability is the most important in the end. I was pretty skeptical of the Radwagon, but its been pretty great, save the fact I have to tighten the spokes all the time. I had some minor issues with their Customer Service as well, but overall Rad has been great as has their service. The weather here in GA is miserable right now. Hoping I can get out next week and ride a bit. Anyway, it's all good! I am just ready to riiiiiiiide.

Rad appears to be the leader in this field. If they had a generic class 3 commuter, I’d have gladly gone that route.

It is ridiculous That they threaded it differently! Some strange story behind the scenes there.

Hmm, I have got an REI 25 minutes away, and I think I may just got that route myself. Didn’t think about that. My LBS doesn’t seem to be interested in repairing eBikes.

Currently I’m looking at what spare tubes and tools I want to take with this eBike. May pick up a GAADI tube, a mini knife, among other things.

Rad appears to be the leader in this field. If they had a generic class 3 commuter, I’d have gladly gone that route.

It is ridiculous That they threaded it differently! Some strange story behind the scenes there.

Hmm, I have got an REI 25 minutes away, and I think I may just got that route myself. Didn’t think about that. My LBS doesn’t seem to be interested in repairing eBikes.

Currently I’m looking at what spare tubes and tools I want to take with this eBike. May pick up a GAADI tube, a mini knife, among other things.

Juiced sells a rear tire removal tool, which is a uniquely shaped wrench. You can get the rear wheel off with a normal wrench but risk rounding the corners of the bolt due to the angle.

Back