New Owner Strange Noise

Phanes

So I picked up my ST2 on Saturday needless to say I was pretty pumped to get my old fat but working out again. On the way home, 24 mile ride, a strange sound came out of the back tire. I pulled over checked things out and the sound stopped. After doing a bit of research I actually found this old post with this video link. The sound his bike is making is the same sound mine made. You can hear it at the end of the video.

Stromer Forum Strange Sound

The sound did stop but when I spin the back tire after one full revolution I hear a rubbing sound. I have to admit I have not done a thorough inspection to see if a fender is rubbing or something. I was curios if the OP of that post ever found out the issue.

I just got an ST2 and found the fender had started rubbing against the tyre and making a weird sound yesterday. I had been riding with a bag on just one side of the rack, which the shop told me would be fine, but it very quickly pushed the fender towards the tyre. Putting a balanced load on the rack and pushing a bit seems to have helped.

After 100 miles you should bring the bike back to the dealer for a tune up and to fix whatever glitches you find.

Until then, you should just eliminate likely causes: Fender rub, frame rub, disc brake rub, wheel out of true.. Put a flashlight on each potential rub spot and spin the wheel. It could be an internal motor problem but that seems like a longshot.

So I did some inspecting and it is the brake that is making the rubbing sound. However from what I read a slight rubbing sound is normal on new pads and will go away after a bit. Do you guys find this to be true?

Mine actually had that too from the start (last week). I was in the shop a couple days after getting it and asked. The guy took a good look at it and couldn't really fix it as he said the disc had a very slight wobble. I wasn't too worried, and we agreed it would probably go away if we ignored it. If it's still rubbing when I came in for my first 1000km service I'll make a bit more fuss about it.

No. Brake rub is annoying!

Try this. Run the bike up to max speed and brake hard with only the rear brake. Do this 5 times. This should bed the pad.

If that doesn't work I'd remove the brake pads and see how they are wearing. Maybe they are just installed crooked, and reinstall them correctly

Joe Pah's right. Do this front and rear with Jag Wire semi - metallic pads. Clean disc 1st with Brakleen, then do the bedding process, and you will be amazed at the differance.

Back