New Old Guy Considering an Aventon Aventure2

bobmcc81

Region
USA
I just turned 60 and in the midst of a long recovery from a motorcycle accident. I have had a life long passion for two wheels and not really ready to get back on the gas burners just yet so in my down time I've spent alot of screen time studying ebikes. I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on an Aventon Aventure2 as long as I can figure out the sizing difference.

My question to the community is on full power assist on any of the popular bikes can you regulate speed with the throttle in variable amounts depending on how much you mash the throttle? Meaning if you want to go 13 miles an hour sometimes and other times 21 mph is that possible by just throttle control or is it all motor in or out and you vary the speed by your pedal effort?

I understand I will have a lot of experimenting and learning to do with the derailer gearing and assist modes but I'm not tricking myself into thinking this will be for exercising I just want to cruise around on the motor power.

Thanks for setting me straight.

Bob

I just turned 60 and in the midst of a long recovery from a motorcycle accident. I have had a life long passion for two wheels and not really ready to get back on the gas burners just yet so in my down time I've spent alot of screen time studying ebikes. I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on an Aventon Aventure2 as long as I can figure out the sizing difference.

My question to the community is on full power assist on any of the popular bikes can you regulate speed with the throttle in variable amounts depending on how much you mash the throttle? Meaning if you want to go 13 miles an hour sometimes and other times 21 mph is that possible by just throttle control or is it all motor in or out and you vary the speed by your pedal effort?

I understand I will have a lot of experimenting and learning to do with the derailer gearing and assist modes but I'm not tricking myself into thinking this will be for exercising I just want to cruise around on the motor power.

Bob
Yes the throttle speed is variable.

Sorry about the motorcycle accident.
While there is no review of the Aventon Adventure, there is a review of a 2022 soltera. It has a 350 w rear hub motor, with both Pedal Assist (PAS) and throttle modes. https://electricbikereview.com/aventon/2022-soltera-7-speed/
Pedal assist, the controller tries to maintain a programmed speed based on the frequency of the hall effect sensors in the motor. PAS1 should be speed zero, no assist, but I don't own this model. PAS5 should be the maximum speed the controller allows. In general these speeds are not programmable, but see the brand forum for any facts there. Power assist comes on after you pedal the crank more than a half turn. Power stops some time after you stop pedaling, or when you put on a brake.
If you don't like the speed the controller is driving you to, you can increase the speed with the throttle.
Pay particular attention to the size and reach of the frame, compared to your body size. This is more important on a bicycle than it is on a motorcycle. Aventon apparently has dealers, where you can sit on the bike before you buy it, if you are normal sized. Small people as myself usually have to buy a small frame bike before they are allowed to sit on it. I have to say the 350 wh battery of the Soltera is pretty small. I use a 840 wh battery, and it is capable of 30 hilly miles with payload of 235 lb. (I'm 160 lb, tools spares water clothing is 15 lb, I carry 60 lb groceries or ag supplies on the uphill leg).
A 350 w motor is pretty small. If you are small and your area has no hills, that is fine. I found with payload 235 lb that a 350 w bafang motor was inadequate to my hilly route. You can legally buy bikes these days with 750 w motors. If you are large or ride a lot of hills, bigger is better. See for example a surface 604 shred rook or colt, which has 500 w motors. Usually they also have torque sensing control, which offers finer control than the 5 levels of PAS assist. I personally like drop frames like the Rook, as I started having trouble lifting my leg over the seat & back wheel in my 60's. I can control strength with exercise, but flexibility loss seems to be inevitable with aging.

Last edited:
Pedal assist, the controller tries to maintain a programmed speed based on the frequency of the hall effect sensors in the motor. PAS1 should be speed zero, no assist, but I don't own this model. PAS5 should be the maximum speed the controller allows. In general these speeds are not programmable, but see the brand forum for any facts there. Power assist comes on after you pedal the crank more than a half turn. Power stops some time after you stop pedaling, or when you put on a brake.

Per the official Aventon product page, the Aventure.2 has torque-sensing pedal assist — which, if implemented properly, would behave very differently from the power delivery described above. Perhaps some Aventure.2 owners can clear this up.

On my non-Aventon hub-drive, the thumb throttle is disabled at PAS 0 (no assist) and full power, all-or-nothing at all other assist levels. As ebikes tend to be rather heavy, you can easily limit the acceleration just by reducing the length of time the throttle's pressed. A progressive throttle might be even more useful but perhaps less robust.

Sorry about the motorcycle accident.
While there is no review of the Aventon Adventure, there is a review of a 2022 soltera. It has a 350 w rear hub motor, with both Pedal Assist (PAS) and throttle modes. https://electricbikereview.com/aventon/2022-soltera-7-speed/
If you don't like the speed the controller is driving you to, you can increase the speed with the throttle.
Pay particular attention to the size and reach of the frame, compared to your body size. This is more important on a bicycle than it is on a motorcycle. Aventon apparently has dealers, where you can sit on the bike before you buy it, if you are normal sized. Small people as myself usually have to buy a small frame bike before they are allowed to sit on it. I have to say the 350 wh battery of the Soltera is pretty small. I use a 840 wh battery, and it is capable of 30 hilly miles with payload of 235 lb. (I'm 160 lb, tools spares water clothing is 15 lb, I carry 60 lb groceries or ag supplies on the uphill leg).
A 350 w motor is pretty small. If you are small and your area has no hills, that is fine. I found with payload 235 lb that a 350 w bafang motor was inadequate to my hilly route. You can legally buy bikes these days with 750 w motors. If you are large or ride a lot of hills, bigger is better. See for example a surface 604 shred rook or colt, which has 500 w motors. Usually they also have torque sensing control, which offers finer control than the 5 levels of PAS assist. I personally like drop frames like the Rook, as I started having trouble lifting my leg over the seat & back wheel in my 60's. I can control strength with exercise, but flexibility loss seems to be inevitable with aging.
Adventure 2 is 750w hub drive so should be fine to climb moderate hills on throttle only. May need bit help from rider on steep hills..

Bob
You wont have an issue controlling your speed but my question is if you a motor cycle guy and you know you just want to throttle around why not get a bike made to do that? I think these bikes have overbuilt hub motor that are a little more robust and are made to handle constant throttle.
Bikes like the Ariel Rider Grizzly$3299, Ariel Rider X class$2199, Juiced Hyper Scorpion$1899Close out deal, juiced Hyper Scrambler$2499
or even Maybe a wired Freedom$2000, note: at this point the Wired Freedom is more like a light motorcycle than a bike lol, its top speed is around 40mph.

I was thinking the same thing ElevenAD. I love some of the electric mopeds, oops-ebikes, out there. The Grizzly is a dream toy for me. But I'm getting fat and the last thing I need is something I won't get exercise on.

I recall reading somewhere in a review that the Adventure 2 throttle is not the snappiest off the line. I'll try to find the review and list it.

Sorry to here about the crash bobmmc81. I no longer ride passengers or ride on the interstate/highway.

Back