New Multicharger Owner -- clicking when pedalling question

PDL

Region
United Kingdom
Hi,
I bought a RM Multicharger Mixte Vario GT 750 (belt and enviolo) in November and it has been a joy to ride, but there is a small issue that detracts from the overall sense of quality and smoothness. When I pedal backwards and then forward, just before I hit some resistance, there is small click feel under my foot. I've had enviolo equipped bikes before and the same movement has always been completely smooth. I'm not sure if this was there from the beginning -- it may have been and I just didn't notice it as I was busy getting used to the bike -- but I think it may have started later. Has anyone noticed this or does anyone know what it could be? Perhaps it's completely normal, in which case I just need to get used to it, but hopefully it's something that could be adjusted.

I would go back to my dealer, but they are generally unreliable and have not been great to deal with.

Thanks,
Peter

Hi,
Do you have a a bike work stand? If not you can flip the bike upside down. You will want to isolate the exact spot where the click occurs. Is there a loose crank arm, a pedal, chainring/belt ring, a tensioner, or the hub itself?

Hi,
Do you have a a bike work stand? If not you can flip the bike upside down. You will want to isolate the exact spot where the click occurs. Is there a loose crank arm, a pedal, chainring/belt ring, a tensioner, or the hub itself

Thanks. I don’t have a work stand, but will try to ‘flip’ it upside down (it’s a beast!) and have a look. I’m not very savvy so beyond the obvious I will probably need to take it in to a shop. But I’ll first have a look to see if anything is obviously loose.

Can you pop off the battery easily before you flip it? That will cut some weight.

I've had enviolo equipped bikes before and the same movement has always been completely smooth.
Did you own Enviolo equipped e-bikes before? The behaviour can be pretty normal if that's a single click. It could be the inner clutch of the motor engaging.
(Sorry to say it but Uma does not own any mid-drive motor e-bike).

Generally, you should not pedal a mid-drive motor e-bike backwards.

@fooferdoggie: You are a heavy Bosch motor user. Thoughts?

Did you own Enviolo equipped e-bikes before? The behaviour can be pretty normal if that's a single click. It could be the inner clutch of the motor engaging.
(Sorry to say it but Uma does not own any mid-drive motor e-bike).

Thanks. I have used two enviolo E bikes before (one with active line plus motor and the other shimano) and never noticed a click. But it is a single click like what you describe so maybe it’s just more noticeable on this one. It’s not a big deal, but I think I notice it because it’s otherwise such a super smooth and solid ride.

Going OT here but I've never heard this before and rotate the pedals backward to get good positioning to take off regularly when I take off from a red light or stop sign - what makes you say so? I don't recall reading it from R&M or Bosch...?

@fooferdoggie: You are a heavy Bosch motor user. Thoughts?
not a issue I do it all the time to lube the chain. but it does not pedal backwards it will freewheel. this is why the cranks on my tandem are not locked together. soothes odor is designed to freewheel so its not a big deal.

not a issue I do it all the time to lube the chain. but it does not pedal backwards it will freewheel. this is why the cranks on my tandem are not locked together. soothes odor is designed to freewheel so its not a big deal.
I was asking whether a single click on restarting the pedalling was normal on a Bosch E-Bike.
Torque sensor engaging?
A clutch in the motor engaging?

Last edited:
I was asking whether a single click on restarting the pedalling was normal on a Bosch E-Bike.
Torque sensor engaging?
A clutch in the motor engaging?
I'm curious about that too and what it is that is clicking. it makes sense that it could be the clutch, but I don't remember this on my previous Bosch active line plus bike and it's not happening on our other bike we have with a Shimano motor. If it's normal behaviour, I'll get used to it and accept. But I'd prefer to eliminate it if that's at all a possibility.

I'm curious about that too and what it is that is clicking. it makes sense that it could be the clutch, but I don't remember this on my previous Bosch active line plus bike and it's not happening on our other bike we have with a Shimano motor. If it's normal behaviour, I'll get used to it and accept. But I'd prefer to eliminate it if that's at all a possibility.
Totally agree. When my Vado was, say, 2 1/2 years old, I could hear regular clicking from the motor when I was pedalling the e-bike. The clicking had a constant frequency (not depending on the cadence), and did not always occur. 6 months later it turned out that the internal belt drive of the motor broke, and the part of the frame to which the motor was attached simply cracked.

Your e-bike is too new and it is Bosch. It will be good if you identify the issue if it is any issue.

I have several encounters with this clicking problem, but on a Brose motor. The sprag clutch bearings were beginning to fail.

Thanks everyone. I’ve booked it in for a first service on Saturday. Hopefully they’ll be able to say if something is off, or reassure me that it’s normal. I’ll update when I know more.

So the mechanic said everything is fine and that the click is just the motor engaging. I’ll have to accept that. At least there doesn’t seem to be anything wrong. Thanks everyone for the input.

So the mechanic said everything is fine and that the click is just the motor engaging. I’ll have to accept that. At least there doesn’t seem to be anything wrong. Thanks everyone for the input.
My wife has same bike - will ask her if she’s ever noticed a click

I

I'll be curious to hear if she has noticed it too...
She has not… I was riding with her yesterday and it was very noticeable when she glided into a corner she was unconsciously pulling the pedals back to get her preferred leg at the top of the pedal downstroke and it was making a very noticeable noise as she half back pedalled (a rapid clicking) but there was no audible click when she started and she said just now there was nothing she notices either

Interesting. It’s not that audible, if at all, but I can feel the click under my foot. Yes, pulling the pedal back is always really noisy more so than previous bikes I’ve had.

Next time you’re out, could you ask her to see if pedaling forward after pulling back like that is completely smooth or if there is any gap (and click) before the motor engages. If it’s completely smooth, I probably need to get someone else to look at my bike. Thanks.

Back