New guy from NE Florida

Trooper5707

Hello all! I am an ex military guy who just moved to Atlantic Beach in Florida, very close to Jacksonville. I am working for wounded warrior project. I grew up in the 80's mountain biking in the Pacific Northwest, and took my bikes to Japan, Korea, Italy, and rode all over the world.

I originally started messing with gas powered bikes in Hawaii, starting with a single speed happy time motor, and eventually going to a jack shaft setup and running 45 MPH easily. We'd tour all over Oahu and have a lot of fun. I tried commuting to work on the bike, but there was just too many moving parts and had some reliability issues for a daily rider.

I dabbled a little with building a hub motor there, but quickly fried the motor pulling up a big hill.

I moved to Nashville, and my commute path there was not really anything I felt comfortable riding a motorized bike on. I stuck to full motorcycle and had a lot of fun.

Moving to Florida, we have some good bike paths, and I have a 18 mile commute from the beach. It is mostly flat. I also live near a large mountain bike trail system (Hanna Park), and would like to play in the dirt a little, as well as just bike to the beach, etc.

I placed an order for an AM-1000 and can't wait to get it out. I also picked up a pair of Radpowers this week, one Rover and a Mini. And if that is not enough, I rebuilt my old pedal bike over the winter and just ordered a battery pack and hub for it! I still have the Trek shift kit bike in the video about and will most likely get that on the road again too.

Thanks everyone for the amazing resource here! Lot of great folks with incredible info! I look forward to learning and contributing as much as I can.

Ed

Wow that is a crazy video indeed! The guy is carrying a gas container on his bike to power the two Honda motors on the front and back of his bike (if I've got that right). Looks like a typical day in the lifestyle of Hawaii. Awesome!

Back