New Front Light -- comments?

KenS

I noticed on the Rad web site that they are selling a new front light. What is the sage wisdom about the new light?

I noticed on the Rad web site that they are selling a new front light. What is the sage wisdom about the new light?
It is supposedly brighter, I would like to confirm that but they sent me a standard headlight! It seems every order I put To rad they get at least one thing wrong

I added an aux superbright LED front light that have a blinking function. I think drivers can see blinking light better during the day compared to a solid light (subconsciously associate blinking lights for emergency vehicles or warning signs).

I have to say that I think the Rad Premium headlight is a WASTE OF MONEY. It is, in fact, an improvement on the headlight that came with my 2020 Radmini4, but if I ride at night, it is NEARLY USELESS for lighting up the road. I have numerous after-market bar-mounted lights, all purchased for well under $50, that give MUCH BETTER LIGHTING. All are rechargeable, and although they do not have the CONVENIENCE of running off the Rad's battery, they have multiple lighting modes. In particular they have excellent FLASHING modes for daytime visibility. I usually do NOT even turn my mini's lights on any more.

By searching on Amazon or eBay, you can find MUCH BETTER LIGHTS for less money. The trade-off is you will need to recharge them.

I don't know if the European radwagon light is any different but I find it excellent, it's not daylight bright but lights the road and verge well. It needs to be aimed accurately but once set it stays in place and lights up the ground and hedge perfectly, I can ride at 24mph with full confidence that I'll spot potholes pedestrians etc with time to avoid any hazard.

I recently purchased the EU Rad Rhino and the head light is just good enough to be seen. It lights almost nothing.

I also have the front rack, so there's not a lot of room to aim the head light, it's like only one position available. Not saying it's e bad one though.

I wonder if your light is mounted correctly, I also have the front rack and am able to aim the main spot of light anywhere from just Infront of the wheel to pointing up at the sky.
I aim the main spot of light about 15 feet Infront of the wheel so I can see any potholes or bumps to avoid and so not to blind oncoming drivers, I can see everything I need to and more including road direction, surface, puddles, pedestrians, deer, road signs, all with enough time to react. It doesn't bother me that I can't see half a mile ahead I'm not going very fast.

This is how my head light is mounted.

Attachments

• IMG_20200628_154314.jpg
    IMG_20200628_154314.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 448
I have to say that I think the Rad Premium headlight is a WASTE OF MONEY. It is, in fact, an improvement on the headlight that came with my 2020 Radmini4, but if I ride at night, it is NEARLY USELESS for lighting up the road. I have numerous after-market bar-mounted lights, all purchased for well under $50, that give MUCH BETTER LIGHTING. All are rechargeable, and although they do not have the CONVENIENCE of running off the Rad's battery, they have multiple lighting modes. In particular they have excellent FLASHING modes for daytime visibility. I usually do NOT even turn my mini's lights on any more.

By searching on Amazon or eBay, you can find MUCH BETTER LIGHTS for less money. The trade-off is you will need to recharge them.

I'd say ditto to this. I run a Nestling brand 3 LED headlight on the bars which is powered by 4 18650 batteries which velcros to the frame. It is very very bright & has 3 brightness settings. Like roughly 1 car headlight of brightness. I bought it for $23 on Amazon.

My only complaint about my Nestling light is that it has these green indicator lights that stay on when the 2 halves are plugged together. Parasitic drain. So one has to disconnect the two halves or those will drain it dead in 2-3 days. But it's a small trade off for a light that is much much brighter for a fraction of the price of the new Rad Power one. I mean this thing is so bright people some times think I am a cop.

Or I run a head mounted light which runs off of 2 18650s. Also bought it on Amazon for $20. I think I've had it about a decade now.

The other comment worth mentioning is loctite. I've had numerous clipped in hand held flashlights come apart while riding. They lost the retention ring for the lense. I've fixed this by taking it apart, cleaning with IPA, then reassembling with red loctite when they are first new. This fixes the problem.

LOL, after 1280 miles, I just noticed a plastic shipping film over the stock headlight. I won't say night and day difference, but definitely a step up in performance. I'm satisfied with the stock light until it retires. There is a reason why only birds of prey will intentionally fly high speeds at night !

I bought 3 after market very high power headlamps, and mounted one where the original went, and 2 more mounted high on handlebar extensions. I can illuminate far and wide, which comes in handy for night time beach and golf course rides!. I plug them directly into the charging port of the battery, and they are BRIGHT!

Attachments

• 100_3198.JPG
    100_3198.JPG
    192.4 KB · Views: 325
I bought 3 after market very high power headlamps, and mounted one where the original went, and 2 more mounted high on handlebar extensions. I can illuminate far and wide, which comes in handy for night time beach and golf course rides!. I plug them directly into the charging port of the battery, and they are BRIGHT!
Looks to blind oncoming traffic.

You plug your headlights directly into the charging port of your ebike battery? is that what I am hearing?

Thats a horrible idea...

Back