New Cross Current S - Gear Skipping

theNJR

After a year and a few thousand miles on my Cross Current I just took delivery of a new CCS! Very excited and rode it home yesterday.

The bike shop said they couldn't find an adaptor to go form the DC charging port to the 3 prong port of the 52v 19.2. I called Juiced from the bike shop and support (quickly!) picked up. We searched the boxes one more time then the shipped me out a new one. Luckily the battery came charged but annoying that I'll need to wait to really ride it until the adaptor comes.

The biggest issue I am having is 9th gear is skipping very consistently. No matter the assist speed or my pedal speed it skips every 4-10 pedals. All other gears seem unaffected. If I need to take it back to the shop I will but obviously would rather fix myself if it's not that big of a deal. I'm guessing its the derailer screw? Any help would be great!

The front fender bangs on the wheel pretty consistently. The guy who put the bike together said that was going to happen soon, but it happened right away. How are people fixing that?

Finally, what are people using to cut off their charger at 85/90%? I had a bad habit of leaving my old battery plugged in over night without a shut off and I fear I kill some cells in doing - Riding the CCS home on eco felt like I was on 3 on my old CC!

Loving the bike so far!

Inspect each link of the chain, it is likely you will find that two links are not moving. Carefully use two pairs of pliers to loosen the links up. This is a common problem with all new chains and is not relative to the CCS itself per se

The front fender bangs on the wheel pretty consistently. The guy who put the bike together said that was going to happen soon, but it happened right away. How are people fixing that?
So 2 things to do to reduce fender rattle. First make sure the mounting stays are attached to the fender all the way at the bottom up against the mud flap. Second bend each stay outward slightly to provide constant tension on the stay. Then as you tighten the stay to the fork you can turn the stay either clockwise or counterclock (depending on the side) as you tighten it in order to keep the fender centered over the wheel.

Also agree with examining your chain for a stuck link or partially separated link.

I had a stuck link when my CCS first arrived. Annoying, isn't it? Easily solved by my LBS. Had them fine-tune the derailleur at the same time. $15 total. Money well-spent.

+1 on Chris Hammond's fender advice.

Thanks for the help everyone.

My prior enthusiasm for Juiced support has diminished. They still haven’t shipped the charger adapter despite the order going through days ago. Support now said they have pulled it from the warehouse to ship on Monday. Confused why that took so long. They shipped the bike the very next day. Sad I won’t be able to ride this weekend.

Your derailleur may not be properly indexed. here's a vid to learn how to do it.

This is basic stuff dealers do every day prior to delivering an ebike to their customers. Buying on-line ? Well now that dealer prep is up to you. Or hunt down a dealer and 'pay the man.'

Thanks for the help everyone.

My prior enthusiasm for Juiced support has diminished. They still haven’t shipped the charger adapter despite the order going through days ago. Support now said they have pulled it from the warehouse to ship on Monday. Confused why that took so long. They shipped the bike the very next day. Sad I won’t be able to ride this weekend.
In my experience, it takes a few days for an order to ship from them, so in your case I'm more surprised the bike shipped that fast. Don't worry, they'll get the adapter to you.

I have a 48v advanced charger from Luna Cycle, which allows you to select both 2-5 amps and 80/90/100% charge level. About $100, and works great. You have to either swap out the plug to a barrel-type one, or find an adapter that goes straight from its xt60 plug to the one on your CCS. No biggie.

Wow. I got the charger and they sent me the wrong one!!! Sent the old style without the adaptor. I now understand peoples frustration with Juiced.

Also agree with examining your chain for a stuck link or partially separated link.

I checked each chain link and all seemed to move. I literally just went link to link and moved it up and down. Is that what I am checking for? What would a partially separated link look like?

Wow. I got the charger and they sent me the wrong one!!! Sent the old style without the adaptor. I now understand peoples frustration with Juiced.

My XLR adapter came in the box with the battery. Mine was the XLR 4 Pin 48v 21Ah battery though. I bought the 72v Cycle Satiator from Grin with the 3 pin to 4 pin XLR adapters + the 3 Pin XLR to 2.5mm barrel connector. Charging to 80% is meant to extend battery life considerably.

So this is a pic of a half separated link for an example. A partially separated is similar but the links are still lined up with the pins and still partially in the pin hole. (This chain is obviously horribly maintainted. Not my bike, google pic)
p4295917_orig.jpg

Hey all - The skipping gear issue got fixed by the bike shop so that's all good.

The front fender banging finally annoyed me to the point that I just removed the darn thing. But it turns out the sound I was hearing wasn't just from the fender.

Every time I pedal there is a creaking sound. It doesn't happen if I use the throttle so it has something to do with the pedals, or crank or something in that area. I'm hoping that I skip taking it back to the shop. Any ideas as to what this may be?

Hey all - The skipping gear issue got fixed by the bike shop so that's all good.

The front fender banging finally annoyed me to the point that I just removed the darn thing. But it turns out the sound I was hearing wasn't just from the fender.

Every time I pedal there is a creaking sound. It doesn't happen if I use the throttle so it has something to do with the pedals, or crank or something in that area. I'm hoping that I skip taking it back to the shop. Any ideas as to what this may be?
Has it gotten wet? I had to lube my pedals after I rode in the rain the first time.

Make sure your pedals are installed tight. If they back out they can creak. I have a creak on my Cross Current but I think it’s because I cross-threaded while installing the pedals. It’s one of those things I keep putting off repairing.

Be sure to lube all threaded parts, particularly pedals. Remember your left pedal has reverse threads. Anytime threads get wet and or dirt in them, they tend to make creaking sounds after they dry out. You can test this out when riding, typically the more stress you you put on the component, the louder the sound. Pedal using force on one side only to try and isolate the side.

So I lubed the pedals and went for a ride that takes me sort of close to my bike shop. The sound was still there so I decided to drop by. They did a quick look and asked to keep the bike for a day.

They just called and their conclusion is that they can't find the source and don't want to open the hub. The want me to contact Juiced to have them send a new rear wheel.

Ugh.

Im going to pick the bike back up tomorrow and call Juiced on Monday but I'd sure love to solve this without dealing with what I am sure will be a huge hassle.

Any other thoughts?

Sounds like you could have some faulty bearings in your hub like I did. Contact support and they'll send you a new wheel assembly but they might ask you for a video of it making the noise to verify that's the issue.

So I lubed the pedals and went for a ride that takes me sort of close to my bike shop. The sound was still there so I decided to drop by. They did a quick look and asked to keep the bike for a day.

They just called and their conclusion is that they can't find the source and don't want to open the hub. The want me to contact Juiced to have them send a new rear wheel.

Ugh.

Im going to pick the bike back up tomorrow and call Juiced on Monday but I'd sure love to solve this without dealing with what I am sure will be a huge hassle.

Any other thoughts?
First of all you absolutely need to isolate where the sound is coming from and when it happens. You said it does NOT happen when you use throttle only. If it happens only when you pedal, and you know it is not the pedals and every bolt on the crank is tighten, then it could be the bottom bracket or the freehub. And you certainly don't need a whole new wheel for either one of them. So first specifically isolate from where the noise is coming from. Do you require to pedal with a lot of effort for it to happen or does it happen even when you pedal without much effort?

Back