NEW 2015 Prodeco Phantom XR

I think Prodeco has electronics that limit the top speed. Same as I get on my X3. It is the law here in Utah, nothing over 20 mph.

Interesting charging station there. Some sort of adjustable power supply on the right and the Prodeco charger on a watt meter. Not sure if that meter will measure accumulated watts. As it is, you can estimate watt hours, or amp hours, used by keeping track of the hours until the charge light goes off. Looks like the basic 2 amp charger, so 2 amp hours per hour.

Have fun with it. I think I have 1400 miles on mine. Nothing has gone wrong.

Hi George,
- Yes, the watt meter does measure accumulated watts, watt hours (KWH), current (amp drawn - highest, lowest, & real time ), total cost of electricity used. I have programmed it to 15cents per KiloWatt (here in California). Displays the Voltage input. By pressing the function button, it will scroll through all these information. I reset the watt meter to zero as soon as I got the bike, and will not plug in any appliance other than the bike's battery.
- Yes, it has a built-in battery (like a computer). And all data is saved, and can be reviewed even if it is unplugged.
- My charge station has 250 watts output. Inside, I can change the pot from 10-15V output. I made this panel with 3 DC outputs, and has a female cigarette output as well. The NITECORE D4 Digital smart charger can charge any (cylindrical) rechargeable battery simultaneously. From triple AAA, AA Ni-MH size to 18650 14500 18350 16340 10400 Li-ion batteries.
- I use this charge station a lot charging my lipo (lithium polymer packs)

I just rode the bike this morning, 11miles. I'd guesstimate 70% motor, 30% pedalling. Heading to destination were mostly uphill but not bad (not steep). Outside temp was 85deg. WOW! motor did not even get hot, just slightly warm . After 11miles, I still have 4bars (out of 4) on the battery display. It is now charging and I will check how much KWHr used on this 11miles trip distance and cost of electricity that was consumed. I did not want to reset the watt meter to zero, so I logged all the last reading/data before the trip, and will just subtract the latest info. My guess would be around 10 cents for this trip. As of yesterday's bike trips, I have used 7cents electricity cost.
Approximately, with this NEW Prodeco XR, 600Watt motor, it is giving me an average of
4mi to 5miles for every penny (electricity cost to charge the battery), based on 15cents/KW, 70% motor & 30% leg power.
This bike is VERY WELL MADE, GREAT LOOKING BIKE, FUN with 2years Warranty, Made in USA. Warranty/service is honored by any authorized Prodeco bike dealer.

Picture on the right, shows my Tail light charging (USB). It's supper bright, even during day time.

Attachments

• NiteCore.JPG
    NiteCore.JPG
    212 KB · Views: 612
  • 20150725_130627_resized.jpg
    20150725_130627_resized.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 622
Last edited:
Yeah, the ebikes are incredibly efficient. I use a Lipo pack on my ebikes. Only weighs four pounds for 8AH, around $150. The Lipos will deliver a lot of power. I wish the ebike chargers made it easy to pick a final voltage and not completely charge the battery. My cheap Lipo charger can be precisely programmed. It can be done with ebike batteries, but it's a pain with batteries that fit a slot. With a high capacity battery like the Prodecos, it makes sense not to push the charge unless you really need it for a long ride.

Correction regarding my previous post.
Calculation one cent/mile was incorrect. I should have not included the initial KWHr that I loaded on the battery pack out of the box.
I did more biking today and re-calculated the new numbers.
I am getting 4mi to 5miles for every penny (electricity cost).
(I have edited the above before before posting this ).

8.png

The New 2015 Prodeco Phantom XR

So, what do you all think?

After researching electric bicycles for one year now I ordered the Prodeco Phantom XR 5 through an e-bike dealer in California. I test rode different brands and different kinds of motors, but did not had a chance to test ride the Phantom before my purchase. Overall the bike looks great and I love riding it. However there is one big drawback. When cruising at a speed of about 20 mph, I can’t go any faster. I can peddle as hard as I want, the bike just don’t go over the 20 mph speed limit. As a result riding with other people owning regular road bikes, I can’t keep up. I rode other e-bikes which where un-restricted and I was able to keep up. In Canada where I live we don’t have too many laws regarding e-bikes yet and I’m very disappointed that I’m not able to get a different controller to ease off on the tight restriction.

My friend has a BionX 350 motor with peddle assist and it is not restricted. With peddling we are able to hit the 30 mph speed limit.

Does anyone else has this issue? Any suggestions?

There are Provincial summaries here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_bicycle_laws#Provincial_requirements_for_use

This is probably the most heated topic around, partly because California wants to create a 28 mph ebike. People seem to feel their ebikes should go faster, but the 20 mph speed limit has a lot of history behind it.

I'm sure Prodeco will be feeling the heat. My 2 y/o PT X3 has that limit, more or less. I'm not sure Prodeco wants to ship 28 mph ebikes into states like mine with a hard 20 mph assisted speed.

It's kind of a classic situation where there is something for everyone to feel bad about.

Yes, I should have mentioned that on my post.
I can only go 20-21mph on my Phantom XR.
The only time I can beat the 20mph limitation is going downhill, which is not a a good idea going too fast down grade.
On a flat surface, I'm pretty much stuck on 21mph, even if I pedal fast. The controller seems to be doing a great job so the bike maintains the 20mph speed limit.

The only way that I think you might be able to keep up with your buddies speed, is to turn OFF the switch on the battery pack and do the leg work with the right gear size/speed. The switch is conveniently located on top of the battery pack anyway.

Last edited:
Thank you for all your feedback, I do appreciate the comments.

I was reading an interesting article on changing the gearing on the sprockets. Increasing the front sprocket to 52 teeth and reduce the small back sprocket to 11 teeth. Any comments regarding this kind of modification? Yes I'm on a mission to solve this issue in a save and effective way :D

My X3 will draw 700 watts if I am climbing a hill and the bike is going 15 mph. If I am on a flat, the motor won't increase power above about 300 watts, which maintains about 20 mph. So I assume the motor and controller can estimate the speed, and they limit the speed to around 20 mph.

The gears and chain are completely separate, so the gearing will not affect the controller. I assume the controller can judge the RPM of the rear wheel and figure mph from that.

I looked around for some way to change settings in the controller and found nothing. I am almost out of warranty, which would be an issue.

You could call Prodeco and ask about the limits. Understand that many ebike companies are offering speeds up to 28 mph on their stock bikes right now. California's new ebike law would make this legal. Most states, right now, are at 20 mph max, for assist.

I installed a wattmeter on my bike.
With no or very minimal pedal, full throttle for the most part, for 6 miles, mostly flat with some very minimal grade (uphill)
- 6miles
- 3.07 Amps used (battery capacity is 14.25Amps)
- average of 10-12Amps current draw at full throttle, flat road, @20mph, no wind.
- 350 - 450 Watts average current draw at constant speed of 20mph
- 22.96Amps Peak current draw (from full stop), then, drops to 350-450W maintained speed of 20mph.
- 869.8 Watts peak power from stop
- 22 mph TOP speed
- I weigh 155lbs
20151108_115806_resized (1).png 20151108_115806_resized (1).png 20151108_120118_resized.png

The Voltbike Yukon 500w
- Voltbike Yukon

seems to be a better choice.
- 48V
- Over 30mph (as reviewed).
- $700 cheaper
- Digital display
- Aluminum body
- Pedal assist

Attachments

• 20151108_120301_resized.png
    20151108_120301_resized.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 664
  • 20151108_120906_resized.jpg
    20151108_120906_resized.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 664
Last edited by a moderator:
Bright USB Powered from Banggood.
Luckily, this Prodeco bike has a USB output.
All cables (light and watt meter are intact, inside the frame, with the stock cables.
Both devices are automatically powered once the bike is turned ON.
- http://www.banggood.com
- http://www.ebay.com/itm/251530056583?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

(Link Removed - Attachment No Longer Exists) (Link Removed - Attachment No Longer Exists)
Where did you get the bar for your light?

Nice info in your post!

Manny,

I had an X3 with the heavy rear battery. I recently sold it, but only because the ebike I built did everything I wanted. I never had trouble with the X3. It had a great shifter, great hydraulic disk brakes, and other good components.

Prodeco is in a bad spot. You can see your motor will deliver 800 watts, probably 600 steadily. But you get no more watts above about 20 mph. Just like my X3. The Canadian bike, the Yukon, is not legal in my state, so they're being a little cute, setting them up. I only go 20 mph on the bike I built, so it's not a problem for me.

That's a pretty good display. I think LunaCycle sells those. I have a Watts Up I've had for at least 5 years. It does the job. You've got a nice bike. I wouldn't sweat it, and they'll be better in a year or so, if you want something else. Prodeco might find a way to raise the speed on these bikes. Not sure. Have to be because of the 28 mph limit in California, and that's pedal assist only. PT can't win.

George S., the voltbike.ca Yukon comes in a 350 or a 500 watt version. If you click on the Yukon word at the top of the site. You get the 2 options in Yukon. The 350 costs $ 1,159.00 with $ 70 shipping to the U.S.. No sales tax either.

bullseye-monster-jblk-21.jpg Hi George, yes, CA just passed the 28mph on eBikes. So I called Prodeco the other day. I was told that I would have to replace the motor, controller, & the battery to bump my speed. In short, pretty much, replace my bike.
I need something better than this. I intend to keep this lovely Prodeco bike and just build a second bike that goes faster.

Here are the parts
- $500 FAT bike: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/fat-bikes/fat-bikes-bullseye-monster.htm
- $450 48V, 1500W upto 40mph KIT: http://www.ebay.com
- $40 Charger: http://www.ebay.com
- $80 (12cell X4) 12pcs 18650 X 4 = 48 pcs 18650: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
- I'm 4miles to work. I want to be able to go with the traffic. My Prodeco is a bit slow.

Manny,

What you were saying, the stuff that was removed, is why people just build bikes.

Those are interesting battery packs. I guess they are 3 series and 4 parallel. Don't know if you are going to take them apart or just hook the packs together. Great price, either way. Like to know how that works out. I looked at spot welders.

These days, LunaCycle has good prices on packs, and they sell the quality cells. They are around $4 a cell, and you are way under that. My cheap ($260) LiFePo from China works fine so far. I ran my bike for 5 months with Hobby King LiPos.

George S. I looked at Utah bike law " http://www.bikeprovo.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/Utah-State-Codes-Relevant-to-Avid-Cyclists.pdf ". That should be the law for the whole U.S., very smart obviously bikers made the law. I understand having to give hand signals 2 seconds before doing anything, even slowing . And I really like the law that cars are not allowed to get closer than 3 feet from bicyclists. The mailorder Voltbike should be speed regulatable with the Befang controler. Not sure the 350 could do much better than 20 mph anyway. So that bike should be legal in Utah right?

The mailorder Voltbike should be speed regulatable with the Befang controler. Not sure the 350 could do much better than 20 mph anyway. So that bike should be legal in Utah right?
Hi,

The way I see the ebike laws in Utah, you can have 1,000 watts but you can't have motor assist over 20 mph. So the seller is supposed to set it up so it won't go over 20 mph.

I think we are discussing whether Prodeco makes it impossible to go over 20 mph, with a governor you can't access, while other vendors make it easy. I don't know who is right. But even the Interceptor is legal at 1000 watts. You really need the watts around here, to climb hills, so that's good. But the bike is supposed to stop supplying power above 20 mph.

Younger riders, especially, want the speed. California is going to 28 mph. They are trying to change the laws, the ebike laws, in Utah, next year. I think they will aim for something like California. But California is limited to 750 watts, and the bikes have to be certified and have a label on them.

This is the Prodeco forum, and I don't know what Prodeco will do about their speed limiters. I think the Voltbikes look very nice, and the prices are good. It's important, with a new brand, to keep on top of any problems. Right now people are building bikes because the BBS series, the MAC, the Goldens, etc, have decent reputations. People are aiming to spend $1500 to $2000.

Attachments

• ebike state rules.pdf
    116.3 KB · Views: 634
Back