Neo Carbon code 5

biknut

Went for a ride with my son, on his new Neo Carbon with 225 miles on it. It suddenly started loosing power momentarily, and flashing a code 5. Then it goes back to normal all by itself. It's intermittent, but consistent. Doesn't seem to be related to have much power he's trying to use.

So far all we've done is, unplug the cable between the motor, and controller, and plug it back together. It made no difference to the problem. Sometimes it will do it when stopped, and other times when he's riding.

The battery was showing 4 bars. He hasn't washed the bike, or ridden it in rain.

Who else has had this problem, and what fixed it?

First we checked the lower connector that goes to the motor, but it didn't help with anything.

Then we checked the 5 pin connector to the LCD computer up by the handle bars, and that's when a problem became obvious. Wiggling the wire near the connector makes the screen flash. The screen also shows a code 5, and now a code 13. Bending the wire a certain way cures the problem. It's gone downhill over the last 13 miles.

So far not that impressed with Easy Motion's tech support. Their best advice seems to be take it to a dealer, and good luck. That's only 1800 miles away.

They should just come out and say, don't buy our bikes online because we don't have any customer support.

Well hopefully you guys can zip tie or otherwise strain relieve the connection. My Dash did something like that a few times and I just rearranged the harness to 'fix' it. -S

I havent had a similar problem. But do agree that BH factory support outside Europe being next to useless... The distributor in Australia relies on dealers to resolve probs, so important you buy from one that can support niggling problems such as battery warranty claims etc

Bikenut, all due respect, but we try to respond quickly to any issues experienced by both our end use customers and dealers. Yes, we prefer to work through authorized dealers to resolve customer problems for obvious reasons (don't want to have you make a mistake in repairing a bike and jeopardize your warranty), and more than willing to assist customers as well, especially in your case where the nearest dealer is 1,800 miles away. Where are you located that the nearest BH/Easy Motion dealer is 1,800 miles away?

I know it can be frustrating sometimes when there is not a quick and easy fix to a problem, but I spend time every week with customers assisting them to work through any issues and if can't resolve the issue, escalate it to our tech, Chris Lombard or a dealer to work with the customer.

By the way, we do not support online sales of our bikes to end use customers unless they are properly set-up prior to delivery, and all customers that buy BH/Easy Motion ebikes online here in the US must be informed by the selling dealer that this proper set-up must be done by an professional bike shop or LEV dealer in order to validate the warranty.

Lastly Craig, I think it is a bit much to say that our factory support outside of Europe is next to useless. You can ALWAYS find someone at BH/Easy Motion US to help you with any problem, you just have to pick up the phone and make the effort. Anyone that has a question or needs any problem resolved can call me anytime. Call the direct line and hit extension 255 which rolls to my cell phone. If I can't resolve your issue, I will get you in touch with someone who can.

I'm so glad to read that, Undercover.

Thank you for posting and please keep joining in and setting proper expectations.

Lastly Craig, I think it is a bit much to say that our factory support outside of Europe is next to useless. You can ALWAYS find someone at BH/Easy Motion US to help you with any problem, you just have to pick up the phone and make the effort. Anyone that has a question or needs any problem resolved can call me anytime. Call the direct line and hit extension 255 which rolls to my cell phone. If I can't resolve your issue, I will get you in touch with someone who can.

Mate, you didn't read my post very well... I'm in Sydney Australia ...and Jet Black (AKA BH Australia) are next to useless.

Merry Christmas :)

Bikenut, all due respect, but we try to respond quickly to any issues experienced by both our end use customers and dealers. Yes, we prefer to work through authorized dealers to resolve customer problems for obvious reasons (don't want to have you make a mistake in repairing a bike and jeopardize your warranty), and more than willing to assist customers as well, especially in your case where the nearest dealer is 1,800 miles away. Where are you located that the nearest BH/Easy Motion dealer is 1,800 miles away?

I know it can be frustrating sometimes when there is not a quick and easy fix to a problem, but I spend time every week with customers assisting them to work through any issues and if can't resolve the issue, escalate it to our tech, Chris Lombard or a dealer to work with the customer.

By the way, we do not support online sales of our bikes to end use customers unless they are properly set-up prior to delivery, and all customers that buy BH/Easy Motion ebikes online here in the US must be informed by the selling dealer that this proper set-up must be done by an professional bike shop or LEV dealer in order to validate the warranty.

UB, thanks for the reply. My son has at least temporarily solved his issue by securing under the handle bar so it doesn't move.

He did buy online from a shop 1800 miles away. They didn't offer any information about needing to do anything for the warranty to be in effect. The only instructions he received, came with the bike, which he followed. I think he contacted the factory by email. I assume it's in Europe, but don't really know. Their recommendation was to contact the shop he purchased it from. . Maybe they don't know who you are? The shop he bought the bike from weren't able to help much when he contacted them.

All I saying is for an average buyer, there doesn't seem like there's much warranty support, and nothing you said seems to indicate otherwise. IMO communication is lacking between the factory, dealers, and customers.

I'm only pointing this out to maybe help you improve customer service in the future. As long as we can get parts, we're capable of fixing anything ourselves, but that may not be the case with a lot of customers.

After further questioning I found I didn't know all the facts. My son told me that included with the bike was an information packet that included information about registering the warranty online, which he did.

He did call the shop where he bought the bike from, and they recommended cleaning the contacts on the connector that was giving him trouble, but more importantly, they told him to call back if that didn't fix the problem. After he secured the cable to cut down on movement on it, he hasn't been having a problem, so he didn't call them back.

Based on this, I have to say all the proper protocols have been followed, and you can't blame the shop for not helping when no one is contacting them to ask for help lol. I give them full credit for trying.

Back