Need thoughts, My KBO Issues

GoinGrey

Received my wifes KBO Breeze ST. It had suffered box and bike damage during shipping. I was able to repair a few things but noticed when I opened the box the battery in the cradle in the bike was kind of hard to remove. Once I removed the battery I noticed the button you push that indicates the level of charge was loose. You can still push on it and still works. But I was concerned that during shipping the battery might have taken a hard jolt or slam in some way. I noticed a small ding in the battery cradle area in the frame right were the button was. I sent all pics to KBO CS showing issues. They responded with an address in Calif. for "me" to pack and send for repair and they would
reimburse me for the freight. I feel frustrated to be ask to go find a box, the right box and protection needed during shipping plus the cost due to its weight. I paid for a new bike and battery and feel I am being punished for shipping companies careless handling of the box. I am concerned there might be an internal issues with battery and just want to be safe. Everything seems to run fine and do not want to return the bike. But would like piece of mind on the battery and its in good shape. I feel a new battery should be sent to me and I return the damaged one back to them because I am not sure they will reimburse me for the shipping costs. Should I be concerned over this issue and just keep the battery and just ride and enjoy the bike?
Thanks everyone

I can see where they might be reluctant to send you a new battery and hope they get the original back. That's not too unusual a scenario. What you might offer to do is pay for the replacement battery, and have that amount refunded when you return the original.

Otherwise, without seing the damage that's concerning you, my vote would be to just run the original battery.

Thank you AHicks for the response,
The idea to purchase a new battery and send back the damaged battery for a refund sounds like a good idea and will ask them. When I sent the pics of the damage to the bike and battery , they offered $50.00 in coupons for the troubles but respectfully declined because I was able to fix a lot of the issues. I just don't need the cost of a new battery in coupons. I will say KBO CS has been good staying in touch with me. Thanks again for the reply.

I would follow AHicks advice and get a new battery. Damaged lithium batteries are nothing to mess with! They can be dangerous!
I would make it very clear to KBO that you are concerned for your safety and I would have a paper trail on this.

I would follow AHicks advice and get a new battery. Damaged lithium batteries are nothing to mess with! They can be dangerous!
I would make it very clear to KBO that you are concerned for your safety and I would have a paper trail on this.
Thanks ruffruff,
And agree these batteries can be dangerous which why I have concerns. After reviewing BBB complaints on KBO they appear to have a habit of stalling on parts and refunds.

This does not sound abnormal at all, pack the old battery up send it to where they say and then they will send you a new one,
as long as you get reimbursed i dont see a huge problem, just snag a box at the UPS store when you ship it.

Thanks ElevenAD
I offered to buy a new battery and asked , when I receive the new battery and send the damaged battery back to them. If it showed shipping damage like it does in the photos I sent , would they reimburse me for the new battery? They declined. So I will move forward.

Received my wifes KBO Breeze ST. It had suffered box and bike damage during shipping. I was able to repair a few things but noticed when I opened the box the battery in the cradle in the bike was kind of hard to remove. Once I removed the battery I noticed the button you push that indicates the level of charge was loose. You can still push on it and still works. But I was concerned that during shipping the battery might have taken a hard jolt or slam in some way. I noticed a small ding in the battery cradle area in the frame right were the button was. I sent all pics to KBO CS showing issues. They responded with an address in Calif. for "me" to pack and send for repair and they would
reimburse me for the freight. I feel frustrated to be ask to go find a box, the right box and protection needed during shipping plus the cost due to its weight. I paid for a new bike and battery and feel I am being punished for shipping companies careless handling of the box. I am concerned there might be an internal issues with battery and just want to be safe. Everything seems to run fine and do not want to return the bike. But would like piece of mind on the battery and its in good shape. I feel a new battery should be sent to me and I return the damaged one back to them because I am not sure they will reimburse me for the shipping costs. Should I be concerned over this issue and just keep the battery and just ride and enjoy the bike?
Thanks everyone
For what it’s worth, there is no approved method of shipping a damaged battery or any battery for repairs. ALL are working outside of shipping regulations. But it’s done every day.

Next, the box needs proper labeling and approved packaging. It must be shipped by ground service.

Those gauges are a 50cent item, but as you wrote one can’t know without opening the case whether there is additional damage. Shipping BOTH ways is expensive. Who do they want you to ship it to? RTP? RTP will charge for the return. with hazard fees the price will easily exceed $100.

My AMEX credit card would definitely protect me.

For what it’s worth, there is no approved method of shipping a damaged battery or any battery for repairs. ALL are working outside of shipping regulations. But it’s done every day.

Next, the box needs proper labeling and approved packaging. It must be shipped by ground service.

Those gauges are a 50cent item, but as you wrote one can’t know without opening the case whether there is additional damage. Shipping BOTH ways is expensive. Who do they want you to ship it to? RTP? RTP will charge for the return. with hazard fees the price will easily exceed $100.

My AMEX credit card would definitely protect me.
Thanks tomjasz,
I received an email from KBO CS this morning , they want me to expediate the shipping and will reimburse me up to $50.00. Already knew that price wasn't going to cut it on a lithium battery weighing almost almost 10lbs.

Thanks tomjasz,
I received an email from KBO CS this morning , they want me to expediate the shipping and will reimburse me up to $50.00. Already knew that price wasn't going to cut it on a lithium battery weighing almost almost 10lbs.
So they pay you back and then pay to have the repair shop ship back? Some shops supply packaging with proper labels, for a fee of course.:rolleyes:

I have boxes here all proper, but you're to faraway for them to be of value.:confused:

Thanks everyone
I would not plug that battery up in your garage. There have been multiple home fires caused from charging these type batteries. A damaged battery is a recipe for a fire.

Back