My new in bed bike rack!

ruffruff

Mn is awful with chemicals on the road in the winter. I really like having my bike in the bed this time of year. I was using my Yakima Holdup and just throwing it in the bed, but heavy and took up a lot of space.
I really didn't find an off the shelf solution I liked. So you gotta make something yourself!

Works perfect, no lifting the whole bike up onto the tail gate. Very stable.

Cost Yakima Holdup tray-$126
1X3 9" aluminum-$9
1X4 by 60"-free scrap....but probably $10 at Home Depot.
So lets say $150. No tricky construction just have to drill 4 holes and countersink them.
Light, easy to handle , easy storage.

Attachments

• PXL_20210110_204438535.jpg
    PXL_20210110_204438535.jpg
    542.4 KB · Views: 1,810
  • PXL_20210110_204502952.jpg
    PXL_20210110_204502952.jpg
    397.7 KB · Views: 684
  • PXL_20210110_204553202.jpg
    PXL_20210110_204553202.jpg
    415.5 KB · Views: 620
  • PXL_20210110_204709559.jpg
    PXL_20210110_204709559.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 980
  • PXL_20210110_210945473.jpg
    PXL_20210110_210945473.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 556
  • PXL_20210110_211043257.jpg
    PXL_20210110_211043257.jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 685
Forgot to mention. You have to make two modifications to the Holdup to hold a fat bike.
1. Drill through the rivets and remove the plastic overlay on the front wheel hoop.
2. Swap out the back wheel ratchet strap with a longer one.

Nice build!
I made something similar using PVC pipe that uses the same slide out principle. It holds 2 bikes but at over $400, it's much more expensive than yours.
Thanks for posting!

I’m looking into a similar idea for a high-roofed truck topper. I’m looking at converting my older Swagman hitch rack into an in-bed rack so the bikes can be locked. It’s too light to use off the hitch with my ebikes but it might be usable in the enclosed bed with some modification/redesign.

Nice build!
I made something similar using PVC pipe that uses the same slide out principle. It holds 2 bikes but at over $400, it's much more expensive than yours.
Thanks for posting!
I gotta give you props...you were the inspiration for this!

The last I need to figure out is security. Mostly when I'm off riding and the rack is sitting in the back. All you gotta do is reach in and lift it out!
For now I just might run a security cable through it and lock it to a bed tie down.

The last I need to figure out is security. Mostly when I'm off riding and the rack is sitting in the back. All you gotta do is reach in and lift it out!
For now I just might run a security cable through it and lock it to a bed tie down.
That's about all I can figure out. My Gazelle has a rear wheel lock that engages when I remove the key. At least they wouldn't be able to roll it away. Then I also lock the tailgate so they have to lift the bike more to get it out, but I want to lock it to the pickup.

That's what I do with mine. Although it's wider and with 2 bikes, it would be hard to lift out of the truck but I suppose 2 or 3 people could do it. I also lock the tailgate and use this cheap but effective motion alarm: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0734QN8KR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I attach it to the rack when I'm riding.

How do you keep your rack from sliding sideways? Is there something that fits into the grooves of the bed liner?

That's what I do with mine. Although it's wider and with 2 bikes, it would be hard to lift out of the truck but I suppose 2 or 3 people could do it. I also lock the tailgate and use this cheap but effective motion alarm: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0734QN8KR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I attach it to the rack when I'm riding.

How do you keep your rack from sliding sideways? Is there something that fits into the grooves of the bed liner?
Well, I got REALLY lucky. My bed is the exact length of the bike so when I close the tailgate the front tire is pushed against the tailgate and the rear tire is pushed against the back wall. For long trips and an added measure of security I run a ratchet strap from one tiedown through the back wheel to the other side tiedown and then crank the sh** out of the ratchet strap.

I did a test drive yesterday without a ratchet strap and I TRIED to get it to tip or slide. Didn't move. I think its the combination of the right length and enough friction on the wood.
But even if your bike wasn't long enough you could always make the boards the correct length to "jam" against the tailgate and backwall.
If your bike is longer than your bed....not sure how I'd solve that problem.

As you've discovered, the trick is to rig it so the rack doesn't need to be tied off to the truck. This makes loading & unloading fast and simple. In my case, the rack itself is a snug fit in the truck bed.

Right now, I'm looking at a bike that is longer than the truck bed. I'll have to use something like this to hold the tailgate part way open:

or this with the tailgate all the way down:

Hmmmm. This might be an excuse to get a new truck!!

I've got a 6.5' length bed. It is literally the perfect length for that bike.
I've also looked at new trucks and $45-50k makes me break out in a sweat!

Funny story, I have a former student that is my service manager at the dealership.
I took my truck in for maintenance and I told him I was going to test drive a new truck while he was changing the oil.
He said, "Don't bother! Nothing has changed on that truck in 10 years and you are going to pay $20,000 for a big screen TV in the dash!"
I told him, "You just talked me out of a sale!"
We laughed.

I think if my bed was too short I'd look at those bed extenders. Would give some tie points but what a PIA to take that on and off every time you want to load the bike. The beauty of your rack and mine is just flip down the tailgate and load.

I looked at those tailgate pads and same thing, you gotta lift the bike up into the bed. That Biktrix is about 60lbs,,,ouch...

As you've discovered, the trick is to rig it so the rack doesn't need to be tied off to the truck. This makes loading & unloading fast and simple. In my case, the rack itself is a snug fit in the truck bed.

Right now, I'm looking at a bike that is longer than the truck bed. I'll have to use something like this to hold the tailgate part way open:

i think I would go with the adjustable hinges before an extender.

Is the new bike short enough to fit when you have modified the existing poly racks and the front wheel is at an angle? Or even sitting higher and at an angle?

I have a ford ranger with the roller tray cover, so a VERY small area available for the bike. Parked diagonally with the front wheel at full lock she just fits. It's the quick solo ride carting position for the days when I can't be bothered fitting the 5 bike carrier. ( the ultimate example of how many bikes can be liaded with the front wheel sitting higher and at an angle.....5 on the rack, another 5 on the tailgate pad, imagine crashing into the back of a ute carting > $30,000 of bikes!) . But now you guys gave me looking at the tray top roof racks, some old roof rack bike holders, and some motorbike liading ramps...

Is the new bike short enough to fit when you have modified the existing poly racks and the front wheel is at an angle? Or even sitting higher and at an angle?
Sure, the bed rack could be modified to accommodate a longer bike if necessary. One possibility is to cut a slot in the back wall of the bed liner for the front bike wheel to extend into. This would gain about 1.5". The longer bike I'm looking at is just one of several though, so it may not be necessary depending on my choice.

Sooo I was just thinking about your problem..what if you hooked the back support legs over the top of the tailgate?? Problem solved?
I would think it would be stable side to side as most of the PVC frame is inside the bed.

I would think it would be stable side to side as most of the PVC frame is inside the bed.
That could work but it would mean lifting the rack off the tailgate to open it. With two bikes, it's pretty heavy and the lifting angle is awkward. You'd have to hold up the rack while lowering the tailgate and then support the rack to keep it from slamming down. Reversing the process to load would be just as bad. I suppose some sort of lifting rig could be made but it would be easier to just remove the front wheel.

Interesting idea though.

Back