My Ecotric Bike Experience After 1 Year

Robspace1

Region
USA
To begin, I love my Seagull bike. I ride it alot. But, because Ecotric ebikes cost less than many other ebikes, they do have their own set of problems. They cut the cost of these bikes by using imo, a few parts that were not, shall we say, top of the line. First up: the tires. Now it's been a while since I've been on a bike before this, so my opinon may be off, but, I have never known any bike tire to go flat as easy as these tires do. I had 3 flats in the first 30 days! And that was with me staying on the paved bike trails and city streets. I am very careful about glass, nails etc., and there is simply no reason for brand new tires to fail this fast. So, money was saved there. Next, the electrical, which myself and many others have had trouble with. The batteries on these are again, not top of the line. Mine failed after 1 year. And the controller needed to be replaced. They sent one and I replace it, very easy to do. A bike battery should last about 3 years, but not these. Thankfully, after sending in photos showing the reading from the battery volt meter to Ecotric, they sent me a new battery and controller. It's running good again but for how long? I will be getting a new backup battery and back wheel rack to carry it on. There is a 3 month back order on their Seagull batteries right now. There is another place to get them though. I'll post that at the close of this. The frame seems built solid, and the hub motor has worked great so far. So, to ride this brand you should invest in new puncture resistant, kevlar lined, tires. And, get a spare battery and fuses. My bike just stopped running a few months ago and I had to peddle that heavy beast up hills for a mile. Not easy or fun!
Extra fuses: I spent weeks looking for a backup fuse for this battery. It's near impossible to find as nobody has them. The fuse for this model battery, on the Seagull is a small 20mm. (3/4") ceramic 30 amp. 250 volt slow blow fuse. Now, Ecotric has none!! Which sucks alot imo! I bought their fuses (for backup) at a jacked up price of $30.00 for 3 from Ecotric! You have to buy 3 before they will ship. Total ripoff. They sent me the wrong sizes, twice!! I sent photos of the fuse and still I got the wrong size in the mail. They refunded me and said they had none that fit this battery. Great! So, I finally found one place that ordered them and now has them. If your battery takes this very small fuse, you can get them at:
https://electricscooterparts.com/ I worked with the sales people to get them in and thankfully they just came in. Get a few before their gone. If your bike takes the normal size 30mm, you can get them anywhere for 98 cents. Does not need to be ceramic.
For lithium battery repair or sales I was told these people are the best. They will fix your battery or you can buy another one that fits your bike :https://www.fthpower.com/
See ya out there!

Attachments

• IMG_20210511_121125.jpg
    IMG_20210511_121125.jpg
    791.1 KB · Views: 399
To begin, I love my Seagull bike. I ride it alot. But, because Ecotric ebikes cost less than many other ebikes, they do have their own set of problems. They cut the cost of these bikes by using imo, a few parts that were not, shall we say, top of the line. First up: the tires. Now it's been a while since I've been on a bike before this, so my opinon may be off, but, I have never known any bike tire to go flat as easy as these tires do. I had 3 flats in the first 30 days! And that was with me staying on the paved bike trails and city streets. I am very careful about glass, nails etc., and there is simply no reason for brand new tires to fail this fast. So, money was saved there. Next, the electrical, which myself and many others have had trouble with. The batteries on these are again, not top of the line. Mine failed after 1 year. And the controller needed to be replaced. They sent one and I replace it, very easy to do. A bike battery should last about 3 years, but not these. Thankfully, after sending in photos showing the reading from the battery volt meter to Ecotric, they sent me a new battery and controller. It's running good again but for how long? I will be getting a new backup battery and back wheel rack to carry it on. There is a 3 month back order on their Seagull batteries right now. There is another place to get them though. I'll post that at the close of this. The frame seems built solid, and the hub motor has worked great so far. So, to ride this brand you should invest in new puncture resistant, kevlar lined, tires. And, get a spare battery and fuses. My bike just stopped running a few months ago and I had to peddle that heavy beast up hills for a mile. Not easy or fun!
Extra fuses: I spent weeks looking for a backup fuse for this battery. It's near impossible to find as nobody has them. The fuse for this model battery, on the Seagull is a small 20mm. (3/4") ceramic 30 amp. 250 volt slow blow fuse. Now, Ecotric has none!! Which sucks alot imo! I bought their fuses (for backup) at a jacked up price of $30.00 for 3 from Ecotric! You have to buy 3 before they will ship. Total ripoff. They sent me the wrong sizes, twice!! I sent photos of the fuse and still I got the wrong size in the mail. They refunded me and said they had none that fit this battery. Great! So, I finally found one place that ordered them and now has them. If your battery takes this very small fuse, you can get them at:
https://electricscooterparts.com/ I worked with the sales people to get them in and thankfully they just came in. Get a few before their gone. If your bike takes the normal size 30mm, you can get them anywhere for 98 cents. Does not need to be ceramic.
For lithium battery repair or sales I was told these people are the best. They will fix your battery or you can buy another one that fits your bike :https://www.fthpower.com/
See ya out there!
great info for a newbie like me

Let me know if you have questions putting your new bike together. Don't throw that huge box away. Wait a little while till you test drive it a few times. The frames on these don't not allow for any tool kit bags or water bottles, so you need to get a tool bag for the back of the seat. Get one that is at least 8" long to put a multitool, fuses, tire pump/or co2, and 8oz. bottle of slime. If you have a back tire flat you will need to shoot Slime in it or something similar. You won't be able to take that back wheel off to fix it. I let the bike shop do all that. I just add Slime, pump it up and get on home lol.

rode a few times. back rotor is slightly bent...customer service asked for photo which i sent in...ordered fenders-black not avail...i spray painted the white ones with plastic matte black spray to match my bike.....no video showing how to install...overall..love the bike and the experience...so far

rode a few times. back rotor is slightly bent...customer service asked for photo which i sent in...ordered fenders-black not avail...i spray painted the white ones with plastic matte black spray to match my bike.....no video showing how to install...overall..love the bike and the experience...so far
To install the fenders is easy. Find the screw hole on the bottom of front fork. The fender goes over the wheel and screws into that hole. I took my front one off. It rattled on bumpy roads. The back screws into hole also. No support brackets which is dumb. they should have sent you the right color fenders. I told them white and I got white. Don't go too far on those tires. Pushing these home sucks! Order puncture resistant tires. Makes for secure riding.

To install the fenders is easy. Find the screw hole on the bottom of front fork. The fender goes over the wheel and screws into that hole. I took my front one off. It rattled on bumpy roads. The back screws into hole also. No support brackets which is dumb. they should have sent you the right color fenders. I told them white and I got white. Don't go too far on those tires. Pushing these home sucks! Order puncture resistant tires. Makes for secure riding.
Thanks for the info...Ecotric is sending me a rotor for rear brakes, and my lbs will replace....im thinking i will upgrade tires while im at it

Good! Yes, get some good tires on there. My gf has the Peace Dove and we both bought new tires from Schwalbe. For your bike check the 26" Big Ben Plus. It's a great, comfy super tough tire. Near puncture proof. If you hear a rattling sound it's that front fender. Bad design.I still carry Slime and co2 just in case. Changing or sanding these brake pads is easy DIY job. I'll post video of how to do it.

your video was one if not the best ive seen here....no camera shake,no background noise, and straight to the subject matter...well done sir!

I'd like to take credit for that but it's not me. I just posted it here. I used that to find the best way to do the brakes. It's really good, and I was able to use it to take mine apart. It's a keeper for sure.

I saw some errors in it. first you want to make sure you put the pads back in keeping the pads in the same orientation. if your changing pads its not a issue but it is something to be aware of. second is you need to push the pistons back in before you put new pads in. thats easy to do with a tire lever before you take the pads out.

This is not me in the video. But, I did it the same as this video, and it works great. I took out my rear pads, sanded the glaze off, and stuck them back in, no problem. The piston only comes out when the brake handle is held down. These are hydraulic. As for putting the pads back in the same way, I didn't, and they work good. I also checked with my local bike shop before doing this and they said that the piston is not a problem as long as the brake handle is not applied while pads are off, shooting oil down the line.

You also want to bed the brakes on the first ride. It didn't look it with that bike but there is some play in the mounting holes (they are not round) on my caliper so I need to apply the brakes while fully tightening the mounting bolts.

I'm not sure what kind of pads these bikes come with but I just bought semi-metallic to replace when needed. They seem to work best with less screech. Jagwire Sport model BRP-JAG1-DCA016 fit this bike. To line the pads up in the caliper I got this cheap spacer alignment tool. You simply attach one to the disk and tighten up the bolts then remove. It keeps the pads spaced just right.

installed the fenders which i had to paint black to match my bike. rear fender rattles loose, loctite fixed that....front fender very close to tire....had to remove the reflector to fit it on the screw. i also received my replacement rear brake rotor. LBS is replacing...quick mailing from seller...impressed!

Glad you got them on. My back fender is no problem. The front I'm removing. You said it's close to the tire? Your right, and I have bigger tires than the ones that came with the bike, so mine is too close and rubs at times. The rattle from the front one drove me nuts also. Not enough bracing for these fenders at all. Glad you got the new rotor. To keep those brakes from squealing just clean those rotors, especially the rear, after every ride with 91% alcohol. Once the pads get a glaze on them, and they will after a year or less, take them off and sand them down to rough them up, and get the black material off, or replace if need be. I sometimes just use Squeal Out. The stuff works good. Just remember to seat the pads after you clean them. I have the same pads on mine that came with the bike from 14 months ago, so they last a good while even on hills where I am.

I have that for the chain but not for brake pads. I do sand the pads but Squeal Out works fine for me in-between the sanding. Never used a degrease for brake pads just chains and derailers. These are disk brakes. I just saw this:
DO: Use bike-specific degreaser on the entire drivetrain (cassette, derailleurs, chain, chainrings) and allow the solution to soak in for at least 5 minutes while you clean the rest of your bike. DO NOT: Spray degreaser onto brake calipers/brake pads/rotors if you have disc brakes.

How to Wash a Bike | Liv Cycling Official site​

great info for a newbie like me
Can anyone
See ya out there!
Can you help me out? I have an ecotric seagull 1000 watt, normal width wheel bike and had a flat on the back tire. Long story short. I took the wheel off fixed the flat and didn’t pay attention to the hardware/spacer configuration. Now, I can’t get wheel back on correctly either runs on the disk brake, or the derailer on the hub. Even my bike shop can’t figure it out. I have 2 claws, 2 thin spacers and 1 thick spacer. Can you post a pic of the configuration? I can’t believe the manual doesn’t show the back tire assembly…reached out to the company and I keep getting cryptic messages…if you are in Monterey ca, I’ll buy you a beer if you help me out!!!

Chris-First off, sorry to hear about that situation. I have never taken the rear wheel off. I take it to the shop to fix the flats. That's why I threw out the cheap Chinese tires that came with the bike and which left me stranded with flats too much. They are junk! I got Schwalbe Big Ben, double lined tires, and have never had a flat in a year or so now. The shop I go to can tell you how to do that. I'm in WA. state and I grew up near Monterey and have a sister in Santa Cruz, so I know your area and it's hills. Very nice! You will be needing brake pads more than others lol. I don't drink anymore but thanks for the offer. Sorry I can't help more but if you call the shop any day but Mon. or Tues. and tell them Rob with the white Ecotric ebike sent you, they should tell you what you need to know. Good people there and I had them do the brakes, (now I do them), and raise the handlebars and lengthen the hydraulic brake lines. They know the Seagull bike real well. O, and if you need those tiny battery fuses for backup, get them from Electricscooterparts.com. Here is the link for the bike shop.

Back