My 13 ebike hill climbing mega test

Excellent review of the climbing capacity of a lot of interesting bikes. Just the kind of info one wants when making the painful decision on buying new which is not something you can read up on. I must admit I was both impressed and relieved by the performance of the Turbo S. Still a top notch bike in 2017. Thank you!

Good information to help narrow down ebike choices for your riding environment.

I usually have long hill with elevation changes up to 200-250 feet every 2-3 miles. My 750w brushless geared rear hub motor can handle those without a problem to maintain my speed. My issue is there can be head winds 15-20 mph with gusts +25 mph we seem to get every afternoon in the spring. I end up using about 75% of my 48v/11.6ah battery on my 7 mile ride home (4900ft to 5400ft elevation change doesn't help either).

What about the Sromers and the long popular Direct drive Izip Dash? I would be very much interested how those compare to the other ebikes.

What about the Sromers and the long popular Direct drive Izip Dash? I would be very much interested how those compare to the other ebikes.
Mark, we don't get either of those in New Zealand. My likely next test subject will be a Turbo Vado 3.0 in May (the less powerful). I should get my hands on a Vado 5.0 around June. It's also worth noting that two bikes in different places might be different. Eg the Smartmotion bikes (designed in NZ) are less powerful than the US versions of the same (36v vs 48v).

I am also aiming to do some 'actual' range estimates in my tests. A supplier is going to set me up with some kit to do that. Sick of the bogus claims by manufacturers...

I think the speed limiters of the other ebikes make's the comparison unfair.
Have you considered the Pedego city commuter in the comparison?
https://www.evolutioncycles.co.nz/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=39240
I would be interested also on how the 2017 BH BIKES EVO 27.5 PRO fares in your comparison.
https://www.evolutioncycles.co.nz/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=71517
I think, to make all the ebikes more comparable, you have to limit the max speed in all of them to 32 kph.

@Mark Peralta I do what I can. Getting bikes to test from Evo is a mission - it's a 280km round trip for me to the nearest store which is a problem when I do this as a hobby. Even the Pedegos are a problem - the Smartmotion people who sell them are not very responsive.
RE speed limiters yes it is a problem, but that's how people buy them so no, it's not unfair. Sucks to buy a Bosch, basically...

Back