Motor noise and starting delay.

Joro

Region
USA
Hi, this seems like it could be a great resource, here's what I'm experiencing with my brand new Breeze. When starting out with pedal assist on a 1 or 2, the motor makes a awful grating noise and the pedal assist, or throttle, don't provide any power. I'll stop and restart, once or twice, then works fine.
Is there a certain way I'm supposed to start out? I'm just powering up by pressing "M" , then getting on and pedalling.
BTW - When FedEx delivered it:
1. they didn't require a signature and
2. the box was heavily damaged.

Attachments

• 20210615_143939.jpg
    20210615_143939.jpg
    775.1 KB · Views: 299
Any scuff marks around the battery or controller? Cradle that holds the battery looks okay? All wires look okay? Especially check them where they come out of the motor. Display works fine? What do you mean by stop and restart? Do you shut off the battery or do you just stop the bicycle and then start moving again? The more details you can give us, the better.

Okay so, the problem occurs only if you're in the pedal assist 1 or 2, but if you go higher, it works fine?
Thanks for the reply, I haven't tried starting in the higher assists - it's been a busy week and I'm going to have time to do in depth analysis over the weekend. (I posted this in case there's an obvious explanation, I could cut to the chase.)

I was asking if that only happens, in the assist 1 and 2 because I was guessing maybe the planetary gear is broken in the motor. Which would explain your grinding noise and motor not helping the bike moving forward.

However, if your bike is fine with other assist levels, then that means the planetary gear is fine and problem lies somewhere else.
Good to know - I assembled it Tuesday night and haven't had much free time to note exactly when it performs fine and when the malfunction occurs. Going to check into it this weekend and post again.
Thank you

So is this the bike you have?

Looks like it has geared hub drive?

Any scuff marks around the battery or controller? Cradle that holds the battery looks okay? All wires look okay? Especially check them where they come out of the motor. Display works fine? What do you mean by stop and restart? Do you shut off the battery or do you just stop the bicycle and then start moving again? The more details you can give us, the better.
No scuff Mark's, the exposed wiring is intact. Display seems fine. The fix isn't consistent - I've had it make the grating noise, then kick in and be silent, or, I stop pedalling then restart, or I've had to shut it down and start up again two times before it worked properly.
It seems to be worse when I'm facing uphill when starting - is that ever an issue for anyone?
Thanks for your time.

Wow, the picture of your KBO breeze delivered box looks in pretty bad shape, hopefully you contacted KBO and sent them a picture. I’m still waiting on mine to be delivered ( June 29th) I hope it gets to me in better condition? Take care

Seeing the box in that condition makes me angry. This has nothing to do with the mfg because when they leave the factory they are in pristine condition. Once they come in the hands of the delivery company that's when things go south especially fed/ex which I have personally seen. Fed/Ex should be held liable for damage to items especially at todays rate. I try real hard to be here when they deliver so I can see the box when unloading. If the box is held together with their packing tape and has holes and rips I take pictures and bark REJECTED and back on the truck it goes.

I just wanted to tell you what happened to me. I bought a RIDE ONE UP 500 series on February 2021, bike came to my house in 3 days ( I’m 74 years old) I had my local bike shop assembled it. I rode the bike for a couple months ( in between winter storm) I really enjoyed it, had about 60 miles on it. I was using the throttle and pedaling, a grinding noise came from the hub motor, I stopped pedaling let off the throttle and the noise stopped and the rest of the ride went well. Every ride after that the grinding noise happened, sometimes for longer period of time. I emailed Ride 1up support, and i was told maybe I did not know how to operate a Ebike? I’ve ridden bikes all my life, I still ride motorcycles and bicycles at 74 years old. Anyway I felt I could not trust a bike making that kind of noise and completely stopping on a ride, I bought a KBO breeze in April 2021 and received the bike in July, I have not put very many miles on it yet and I’m pretty sure it has the same hub motor as the other ebike, I will keep you posted if it’s hub motor starts making grinding noise.

I am seriously considering a KBO Breeze and Hurricane. But I start with customer service and questions. So yesterday I emailed KBO customer service with specific questions regarding the KBO Breeze step thru and Hurricane. They responded within 24hrs which was a good sign for me. I believe Ride1up 500 uses the Shengyi Hub Motor. I asked KBO customer service what hub motor brand they use and their reply was ( AKM brand. It can be found on Google and the performance has been tested and qualified ). My other questions were dodged in my opinion which I was disappointed.

I just wanted to tell you what happened to me. I bought a RIDE ONE UP 500 series on February 2021, bike came to my house in 3 days ( I’m 74 years old) I had my local bike shop assembled it. I rode the bike for a couple months ( in between winter storm) I really enjoyed it, had about 60 miles on it. I was using the throttle and pedaling, a grinding noise came from the hub motor, I stopped pedaling let off the throttle and the noise stopped and the rest of the ride went well. Every ride after that the grinding noise happened, sometimes for longer period of time. I emailed Ride 1up support, and i was told maybe I did not know how to operate a Ebike? I’ve ridden bikes all my life, I still ride motorcycles and bicycles at 74 years old. Anyway I felt I could not trust a bike making that kind of noise and completely stopping on a ride, I bought a KBO breeze in April 2021 and received the bike in July, I have not put very many miles on it yet and I’m pretty sure it has the same hub motor as the other ebike, I will keep you posted if it’s hub motor starts making grinding noise.
I had the Ride1Up 500 ST purchased in 2021 with the same issue along with others. CS basically said the same thing to me. I've had many ebikes, but this was the loudest ebike ever. People up the street could here me coming. After many emails and videos sent to Ride1Up CS, they basically said I'm on my own. Have my order in for the KBO Breeze and hope I will be pleased.

Back