Moped Style Electric Bikes

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I've noticed that there is a new category of electric bikes that resemble scooters like Vespas or electric mopeds. At first glance they look like gas powered vehicles because of the front and rear lights, turn signals and plastic body kits. They probably offer a safer street-riding experience due to the lights and mirrors but may feel a bit awkward on bike paths and sidewalks because they do look so much like motorized bikes.

One that I was recently shown is the Jetson Bike. The basic specs are as follows:
  • weight: 125lbs (roughly 2x a normal ebike)
  • motor: 500 watt (higher end of ebikes but not uncommon)
  • battery: 48 volt 17 amp hour (higher end in terms of power and size)
  • speed: 20mph electronically limited (keeps it legal to ride on sidewalks etc. and doesn't require a license or insurance)
  • price: $1,700 USD MSRP.

jetson-electric-bike-moped.jpg

So if you compare the Jetson Bike to the Pedego Interceptor or the Pedego City Commuter you see the specs are pretty similar (battery is 40% larger for increased range and to handle the added weight). Considering the extended banana seat, you may even be able to fit two passengers but there isn't a lot of adjustability for actual pedaling. In a sense, it reminds me of the Subaru Brat which was a little pickup that had very basic jump seats in the bed, qualifying it as a sedan and removing a 25% import duty) source for Brat info and pic. The Jetson Bike by contrast, has very basic pedals and limited top speed but resembles a motorbike or electric scooter. As such, it enjoys the benefits of sidewalk riding and use without a license or insurance by people who want to save money, use less gas or who have lost or never got their licenses.

1986-subaru-brat-jump-seats.jpg

It reminds me of the e-mopeds I would see in China (they probably are.) I had some good friends, a really cute couple, that rode around on one for years. It definitely made them appear even cuter.

It's definitely a good value. I have two questions:

1) How easy is it to get home when you run out of juice? (It was always hilarious when this happened to said couple. The girl was always walking home.)

2) Is this something you're comfortable being seen on?

-chan

It reminds me of the e-mopeds I would see in China (they probably are.) I had some good friends, a really cute couple, that rode around on one for years. It definitely made them appear even cuter.

It's definitely a good value. I have two questions:

1) How easy is it to get home when you run out of juice? (It was always hilarious when this happened to said couple. The girl was always walking home.)

2) Is this something you're comfortable being seen on?

-chan

I've been looking for an eScooter along the lines of a GigaByke Groove or a Jetson Electric scooter/bike. The reviews have been incredibly contradictory and confusing. For example, I asked Amazon buyers if the scoots were ok on gravel, grass and dirt(I live in a semi-rural area) and the answer seems to be yes/no/maybe.

I would like some detailed information on the two scoots mentioned and other similar bikes. Has anyone here tried both scooters and what's the verdict? Any information will be welcome, thank you.

.... I asked Amazon buyers if the scoots were ok on gravel, grass and dirt....

As a general rule, smaller diameter wheels don't do well on soft surfaces. From my own experiences with 20"-wheel bicycles and scooters that have even smaller wheels, they tend to dig in and plow instead of rolling over the surface. On pavement, surface irregularities and debris will try to deflect small wheels creating a jarring and nervous ride.

Well darn. The GigaByke and the Jetson looked about perfect for what a want--a small village cruiser that can handle dirt and gravel.

Yo, Tempo; thank you--I had not seen this bike. From the reports I've been getting, the tall-tire scooter-looking bikes may not be very good in my environment--a desert village with lots of gravel and dirt paths.

So now I'm looking at some of the fat tire options. Interesting stuff.

More specifically, I'm looking at the Bigfoot X1 1200 W, 3 speed, electric Fat Tire scooter. It is sometimes represented as the golf scooter--it'll get you through the course. It's a bit pricey, but I'm thinking there may be some winter sales--who plays golf in the winter?

Timpo;

I have now. It's like there's a revolution in the bike/scooter world with an incredible number of options showing up everywhere.
As a general rule, smaller diameter wheels don't do well on soft surfaces. From my own experiences with 20"-wheel bicycles and scooters that have even smaller wheels, they tend to dig in and plow instead of rolling over the surface. On pavement, surface irregularities and debris will try to deflect small wheels creating a jarring and nervous ride.

Slomoshun;

When you talk about the bicycle wheels digging in, are you taking into account the fatter bike tires now on the market?

Slomoshun;

When you talk about the bicycle wheels digging in, are you taking into account the fatter bike tires now on the market?

Yes, width does make some difference in soft terrain but it won't fix the problem of small diameter wheels.

Last edited:
I think they're good, but since their motors and powertrain are not immediately obvious, I think they ought to be registered vehicles, specifically to make sure that they're limited to 20 mph. This will open certain uses. Perhaps a 15.5 mph limit may even be reasonable, to further reduce the intimidating presence. A weight limit could also be suggested - we don't want 200 pound machines on the bike lanes.

I am now looking at the EcoRider E5-10 as a possible ride. Unfortunately, no dealers, no reviews, and the makers are a long ways away. It would be a pig in a poke--but I'm hoping to find a dealership in the US or a similar bike made in the US.

Yes, I am aware of the risks--but I like the potential of this bike for my terrain. I'm thinking about volunteering my services as a tester--I could vet the bike, show it around my turf, introduce it to the local bike shop, do a review or two. I have no idea if the company would go for such a test, but it might be worth a try.

On wheel diameter--have you noticed how stroller wheels have gotten larger and larger? My grandmother used a walker, and one big improvement we made to it was replacing her smaller-diameter wheels with much larger ones. Width helps, but diameter makes a really big difference. Rollerblade-type skates also have a smoother ride with wheels if a larger diameter. Traditional roller skates with their wide, small diameter wheels are very bumpy.

@EvanB , I hope you find a scooter to meet your needs. :)

eMom;

Thank you for your observations. I've seen the same expansion of diameter on the mountain bikes in my area. Some of the new bikes come with incredibly big tires in both diameter and width. That's why in looking at the GigaByke and the Jetson I thought they might be ideal for my needs.

What's strange is that I emailed both companies with some basic questions and neither bothered with a response. With the Jetson I asked the width of the wheel--I don't see how that could be a hard question to answer. That the companies can't be bothered with simple questions raises a warning flag regarding any subsequent support.

What's also strange is that I did email the Chinese company regarding the EcoRider E5-10 and received an answer within a few hours. That doesn't mean that the product would be of any quality or backed by any support--but it does indicated that that there is someone awake at the wheel.

Anyway, thank you for weighing in on my search.

Evan

I just ran into a new electric scooter that seems very much like the GigaByke Groove and the Jetson. It's an Emmo, made in Canada, has great reviews.

I've emailed the company to see if they sell and ship to the U.S. I suspect that new tariff rules may cloud such inter-county commerce, but just checking it out.

Back