Mid-Drive Pedaling under throttle?

creativepart

Region
USA
I've never ridden a mid-drive eBike. So, please excuse this newbie question. When you are using the throttle on your mid-drive ebike do the pedal turn with the motor? Or does it freewheel the cranks at the same time it drives the chain?

I have a rear drive eBike and I'm considering removing the rear hub drive and switching to a mid-drive. So, that's why I'm asking.

Obviously, on my hub drive when I give the bike throttle when starting out the pedals do not turn unless I turn them.

On my FLX Roadster midrive the cranks do not spin with throttle while the chain wheel drives the rear wheel.

On the three mid drive bikes I tested, none turned the pedals when using the throttle.

Thanks folks. After I posted this I remembered a YouTube video where the guy tests the bike with the throttle only and I can see his pedals are not turning.

Sorry for asking such a newbie question.

Thanks folks. After I posted this I remembered a YouTube video where the guy tests the bike with the throttle only and I can see his pedals are not turning.

Sorry for asking such a newbie question.
It is fine. It takes a bit to wrap your mind around. The best mid-drive bikes take the throttle and put it into the pedals. Just like a car you push down your foot when you want to go. It is super intuitive to ride these bikes. These bikes can go 28 MPH legally. But if the throttle is on the handlebar a mid-drive can only go 20 MPH legally.

Back