May be no answer to short legs and bad knees but.....

Mike Mc

I want to ride an electric bike.

I'm going on 75, have scar tissue filled knees as result of knee replacements. I ride a step thru Towne Electra 21 speed with a bit of pain but can do. I have tested the Pedego Interceptor step thru 26" and like the bike except when I set the seat HIGH enough to eliminate knee pain when pedaling I can not touch the ground even on my tiptoes when coming to a stop.

Having lost much flexibility in years past and given the weight of e-bikes I very much would like to come to a stop and get enough toes on the ground to ensure a balanced stop.

Anybody have any solutions? I would prefer not to go with a fold e bike but have not ridden one either.

For the record I am 5'8", 215 and have a stand over need of 26". I need full leg extension when sitting on seat to allow my knees to go around when pedaling with out great pain. I need to use the bike for exercise so throttle and go isn't enough. Looking for a short curb or rock when coming to a stop won't work either.
Thanks,
Mike

Maybe you can get a set back seat post. This will give you a similar effect as your Electra flat foot technology. There are a couple of companies that make them, maybe your dealer can help you with that. It might even make sense to buy one and try it out on a demo bike.

Let us know if that works out.

I want to ride an electric bike.

I'm going on 75, have scar tissue filled knees as result of knee replacements. I ride a step thru Towne Electra 21 speed with a bit of pain but can do. I have tested the Pedego Interceptor step thru 26" and like the bike except when I set the seat HIGH enough to eliminate knee pain when pedaling I can not touch the ground even on my tiptoes when coming to a stop.

Having lost much flexibility in years past and given the weight of e-bikes I very much would like to come to a stop and get enough toes on the ground to ensure a balanced stop.

Anybody have any solutions? I would prefer not to go with a fold e bike but have not ridden one either.

For the record I am 5'8", 215 and have a stand over need of 26". I need full leg extension when sitting on seat to allow my knees to go around when pedaling with out great pain. I need to use the bike for exercise so throttle and go isn't enough. Looking for a short curb or rock when coming to a stop won't work either.
Thanks,
Mike
You can stick with what you know and love, only electrified. The Electra Townie Go Step-through. Includes Bosch drive, one of the best drives in the industry

http://www.electrabike.com/bikes/townie-go/townie-go-8i?g=ladies

Court has a few reviews here:

https://electricbikereview.com/brand/electra/

Thanks Chris, I'll look into the post but I thought the Pedego had a similar pedal set back as Electra? Worth a try. I don't need a bunch of relief - Under an inch might do it
Mike

You could also do a dropper seatpost, but that might be extreme.

J.R. Has a great recommendation about the Bosch powered Townie as well.

JR & Chris

Both good ideas. I am going to track down an Electra Go tomorrow and see how it fits. Wish it had a throttle mode along with PAS. Riding that Interceptor today made me appreciate that feature when pedaling became too painful on the knees. Sure am glad there are some options to try.
Thanks

Back