Magicycle warranty isn't a real warranty.

D MIllet

Region
USA
I purchased a Magicycle 52 V Cruiser Mid Step-thru all terrain e-bike last December. It was represented as a step-through model, but the distance between the frame sections is so small that an adult’s foot won’t fit and it must be mounted by swinging your leg over the seat. This makes it tough for those of us with spinal issues. However, I have learned to cope with that defect after a painful fall while trying to get on the e-bike.

While the e-bike is nice to ride, it was made in China and the Magicycle company has no authorized dealers in the state I live in, so they expect you to crate and ship the bike to them at your own expense for any warranty repairs. You are then completely at their mercy if they decide it is not covered by warranty.

I have tried for weeks to get them to warranty the motor, which is making horrible grinding noises. They had me send them a video, then claimed they couldn’t hear the loud noise on the video and refused to warranty the bike. Now they say they are out of stock on the motor so I can't even buy one to replace the defective motor they refuse to warranty. I will not be buying another e-bike unless the company has an authorized local warranty repair shop. This is truly a “Let the buyer beware” situation.

Is there an REI near you? I hear they will work on anything.

Also, did the bike fall when you fell? It could be a broken phase wire, or hall sensor wire that is making the motor run bad. Could also be a magnet that got knocked out of place.

Alternatively, you could buy a prefaced hub motor. Just be sure the tire size is the same and that the dropout width match. And that the connectors to the controller are the same. But that would be a last resort and cost about $300.

Is there an REI near you? I hear they will work on anything.

Also, did the bike fall when you fell? It could be a broken phase wire, or hall sensor wire that is making the motor run bad. Could also be a magnet that got knocked out of place.

Alternatively, you could buy a prefaced hub motor. Just be sure the tire size is the same and that the dropout width match. And that the connectors to the controller are the same. But that would be a last resort and cost about $300.
The bike tipped over but was undamaged because it landed on me. On the other hand, I had a bunch of missing skin on my knees, arms and hands. I'm 72, so my skin is a tad fragile.

Apparently, the motor wiring and controller are proprietary, and cannot be interchanged with any other motor from a different source. Magicycle controls the parts totally. Since they are out of stock, I have a $2,000 paperweight at present.

REI was one of several places I tried to get to work on the bike, but they all came to the same conclusion, which is that until Magicycle has parts available, the bike can't be fixed. Since Magicycle will void the warranty if anyone but them works on it, I am writing off their meaningless warranty and focusing on getting compatible parts from them and taking the loss. I hope others can learn from my mistake and buy from a reputable company with an actual service network in place.

I am taking the bike to a reputable shop today to look at it and see if there are any compatible units available. Meanwhile, Magicycle now says they are out of stock on the motor that fits my bike, so unless I find an alternative motor, I have a $2,000 paperweight.

I purchased a Magicycle 52 V Cruiser Mid Step-thru all terrain e-bike last December. It was represented as a step-through model, but the distance between the frame sections is so small that an adult’s foot won’t fit and it must be mounted by swinging your leg over the seat. This makes it tough for those of us with spinal issues. However, I have learned to cope with that defect after a painful fall while trying to get on the e-bike.

While the e-bike is nice to ride, it was made in China and the Magicycle company has no authorized dealers in the state I live in, so they expect you to crate and ship the bike to them at your own expense for any warranty repairs. You are then completely at their mercy if they decide it is not covered by warranty.

I have tried for weeks to get them to warranty the motor, which is making horrible grinding noises. They had me send them a video, then claimed they couldn’t hear the loud noise on the video and refused to warranty the bike. Now they say they are out of stock on the motor so I can't even buy one to replace the defective motor they refuse to warranty. I will not be buying another e-bike unless the company has an authorized local warranty repair shop. This is truly a “Let the buyer beware” situation.
D Millet, sorry to hear about your experience. The learning curve on e-bikes can be steep if you are not inclined to do your own repairs. Your hard earned wisdom of realizing that you should purchase from an authorized local dealer is, well..., hard earned and expensive. If you want to continue riding that bike, you might also look into contacting a Himiway Dealer. According to Himiway, the Magicycle is a ripoff of their Himiway Cruiser, and they claim Magicycle may have ripped off their website word for word in the early stages. https://electricbikereport.com/magicycle-cruiser-review/).

You may be able to find a Himiway Dealer that will be able to supply you with parts, or repair your bike (not under warranty). They've got about 380 dealers in the U.S. vs the 81 for Magicycle.

FYI, a hub motor, controller, and display can be found anywhere in the aftermarket, and are easily replaced/interchanged on your bike, if you are into DIY.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Back