Loud Bicycle Horn (Car Horn for Bicycles)

Your voice is the most immediately accessible device, and you CAN be heard if you want to be.
Actually for some of us with hearing issues, even with hearing aids, some voices are not heard until the rider is on top of me. I can hear a good clear bell before a voice. FWIW

I'm leery of dependence on signalling devices...horns, directionals, lights, because we tend to think that's all we have to do to get the oft distracted attention of those piloting tonnage next to us. Best to ride as if we're not as visible as we think we are.

@Thomas Jaszewski , I guarantee you'd hear me, because my life depends on it.

This one is my latest addition, looks ok and it does work a lot better then my bells when needed.

1540598423711.png

Looks like a budget horn and light that may give a year or so of hard use. I've given up on budget lights and now carry $100 deductible for vandalism. Sucks kinda, but I MUST have adequate StVZO lighting and a no-fail horn. Germany wrote the book on decent lighting

I’d like an electric bell. A button I could easily reach with thump or a finger without taking my hand off the grip.
While not electric, I have a Spurcycle bell with a wonderful clear sustaining ring, and I have it positioned immediately next to my Ergon grip, right side, and without taking my hand off the grip, my thumb can reach the bell trigger.

Received the Juiced horn/alarm couple of days ago. It is loud, motorcycle horn loud. And the alarm function seems to work too. The build quality seems to be very good, all metal casing and solid feel. Came with a couple of remotes that are fairly small. Here is the remote, the top black piece slides up and cover the buttons, to prevent accidental presses I guess. Nice touch.

2018-11-22 13.03.30.jpg

One thing/issue. Once in a while, it will let out a small chirp. Not the horn part, but the small speaker part ( like the chirps that let you know when the alarm is set, except just one chirp). Not sure what that's about.

Finally a bike company gets it -- what it's like to ride on the road instead of just bike trails (where the usual bell would be more useful). This came up on my youtube feed so I checked their website and the horn was "in stock." Unfortunately I hesitated and they sold out so now I have to wait for the Nov 2nd shipment.

Have you gotten the Juiced Horn? How are you liking it?

Have you gotten the Juiced Horn? How are you liking it?
Yeah, here's a discussion on it in the Juiced bikes section. It's an awesome horn with one quirk, the intermittent chirps mentioned in that thread. Also the same horn is cheaper on aliexpress from third party, plus an even cheaper version (~$25) without the alarm function. I'm guessing that the horn-only version won't have the intermittent chirp, as it seems tied in with the motion sensing of the alarm.

I bought the Loud Mini by Loud Bicycle, it sounds just as a car, as loud as a car without the bulk from the loud classic. I highly recommend it. Saved me from numerous distracted drivers and people jaywalking with headphones. Better than any bike bell or bike sounding horn period.

Attachments

• IMG_20190207_115537.jpg
    IMG_20190207_115537.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 468
I know this may offend some of you but if you need a horn like that than you are not using your brakes and being a responsible rider. Also it is outright annoying for most of the people around.

On a bicycle one needs to watch out for vehicles and not assume that they will always see her/him. If you see a car merging then slow down and try to make eye contact if you cant then use your brakes and stop.

If you see pedestrians on the path again slow down instead of raging and ringing your bell.

This one time, I got out of the office and I was getting on my bike. From a far (but not exactly where) I heard ringing and "excuse me". A couple of seconds later, even though I was barely on the edge of the bicycle lane the rider almost hit me and was screaming. If that rider used her brakes instead this would have never happened.

Understand that you are riding a bicycle not a car, stop being a copy of those raging drivers, ride responsibly, share the road, don't be afraid to stop when you need to.

Ouch, I’m that bad? My horns, car and bikes are emergency devices. I can’t remember the last time I honked from the car, and I didn’t use the bike horn more than two or three times last season. Each time it saved my bacon. Cages see a bicycle. Not a 25mph eBike. A solid horn accessible while in an avoidance swerve can save the fractional seconds from recognizing an alarm to save the day. Those left turn into your lane fellas are brutal. As always YMMV!

BTW that was just an untrained inexperienced rider. It’s kinda like target fixation. How many eBike riders know how that affects them.

Back